1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anything wrong with a 99,000 mile Prius 3rd gen?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by RYRYM1984, Oct 23, 2012.

1. RYRYM1984

RYRYM1984 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello I'm considering trading a 2010 GTI for a 2010 Prius III model local to me. It has nearly 99,000 miles as looks to be very clean at least per photos. Per the carfax it has had two owners the second putting the bulk of the miles on the car. It has been in two accidents once rear ended then months later frontal damage but carfax doesn't give much detail beyond that.

The Toyota dealer wants $14,800 for the car and per communication I've had with them the price is firm take it or leave it.

Is this a good price for a Prius of this mileage?
    Is there any looming service which might be costly?
    How much should I worry about the battery on a vehicle with this many miles?

Thanks!

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What state are you in? What states was the car bought and registered in?

For the price, I'd be a little concerned about the accidents. Are you set on buying used and on buying the regular Prius, aka liftback? How about a new Prius c (The Toyota Prius c models and prices It is smaller though. I wouldn't model a Prius c One as it doesn't have cruise control.

From the specs tab of Compare Side-by-Side, it looks like the GTI is a compact like the Prius c, but the GTI has significantly more passenger room. Hmm...

3. RYRYM1984

RYRYM1984 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    State is Connecticut and searching used websites it is one of the few options I have locally that has the features I want which are bluetooth and the JBL stereo.

I'm trading in party due to life events and don't want to increase what I am paying monthly. I have enough equity in the GTI to trade it in for a minor gain. It hasn't been all that reliable so I'm getting worried about once the warranty ends. A Prius is reported to be far more reliable but I am picky as to the trim level.

Ideally I'm looking to stick to under $16,000 for any Prius I find.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Cool. The reason why I ask is that CT is a CARB emissions state. If the car was purchased, registered and always registered in CT or a CARB state, then it'll have a 10 year/150K mile HV battery warranty (8 years/100K miles in most other states) and be eligible for other benefits of the CA emissions warranty.

See http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms/T-MMS-10Prius/pdf/2010_Prius_WMG_0W20_lr.pdf. Search for Connecticut and California in the PDF.

You can find this manual under Toyota Online Owners Manuals and Technical Manuals, if you select the year and model of car.

5. RYRYM1984

RYRYM1984 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks that is good to know!

6. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would pass! You would be much better off getting the low end Prius C for just under 20k. You may end up paying the difference in repair work in no time. That's a lot of miles on it and two accidents. No thank you!

PriusGuy32 and PruisAz like this.
  7. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'd pass as well. For a few thousand more you can get a similar year with much lower miles.

8. RYRYM1984

RYRYM1984 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for responses I will keep looking.

Somewhat difficult to browse as dealers/sellers are not good with listing the proper trim level or features.

9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good decision!

10. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model: