1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anything wrong with PriusC for first car?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by JamesAdams1, Oct 7, 2017.

1. JamesAdams1

JamesAdams1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just curious, its gonna be my first car and saving 3-4k would be awesome compared to a regular Prius. I commute often and am looking at a 2014 PriusC.

2. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It is a small car. Take multiple test drives to be sure it doesn't feel TOO small.

Otherwise fine little car.

Consider that you might be able to save ANOTHER 3-4k or more by shopping for a small conventional vehicle with good gas mileage.

The actual final selling price becomes more important if you will be financing a large portion of the cost over a long period of time.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nothing that i can think of. if you like it, and it's that much cheaper than a lift back, go for it!(y)

4. JamesAdams1

JamesAdams1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any other vehicles you would recommend? I need to travel long distances for work, from the Bay to LA. So electric cars are kind of out of option.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    corolla, civic, and etc.?

RCO likes this.
  6. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    For long distance driving, the lift back is a much better option, safer, more comfortable, and the same or better mileage.....

pilotgrrl, RCO and jerrymildred like this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agreed! The Liftback (regular Prius), older Plugin Prius or the Corolla. If you need more space, consider the Prius v or Camry.
    The Prius c is designed for the city commuter. The other cars mentioned are better suited for a highway commuter.

pilotgrrl, RCO and jerrymildred like this.
  8. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I personally don't like the C as a road car.......but my wife and daughter don't have a problem with it.

It is all a matter of personal preference.
    What is most important to YOU: Overall cost of ownership.......good gas mileage.......ride comfort.......cargo space.......???

My other car is a Ford Fusion Hybrid. That reflects my bias toward comfort on long trips.

Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Hyundai/Kia all make good small and intermediate cars.

RCO likes this.
  9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not really but if you're on the highway, perhaps consider a larger car? (It'll be more comfortable on the concrete slabs with a longer wheelbase smoothing out the ride).

The current Corolla is fairly large. It came out in 2014 so you may be able to get a first year for reasonable money.

Another option is the Prius v which has something called "Pitch and Bounce Control" which uses the electric motors to smooth out the rocking motion as you go down CA freeways. (they came out at the same time as the Prius c).

But if you're ok with a small car (It's midway between a Yaris and Matrix in exterior size), then go for it. It's easy to park, reasonably fuel efficient and quite spacious for its size.

fuzzy1, RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  10. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Unless a smaller, slower car is of some advantage to you, I can't see any reason to buy a C over a Prius. For example, you can have a 2010 Prius or a 2013 Prius C for about the same money. Having driven both, I'd take the Prius over the C ten times out of 10.