1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anything wrong with this technique....?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by English Gentleman, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In a similar vein: I'd speculate high tire pressure could accelerate suspension/shock wear. A pound or two, not so bad.

2. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    EEK! MATH!

[runs and hides]

tpenny67 likes this.
  3. HGS

HGS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    qdllc,

I wonder if using "B" braking for many miles EVERY day going down mountains has a long term negative affect on engine wear and tear?

Obviously it has some affect, but is it enough that an engine that would otherwise make it to 300,000 miles, only make it to 175,000 miles?

Living in the mountains creates a need to use "B" braking. I would use it. I'm not suggesting only using wheel brakes and overheating them. I would change my engine oil and brake fluid more often though.

4. HGS

HGS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mendel Leisk,

I suspect not. I think the parts are robust enough to take a slightly firmer ride, but you could be right.

Here in Florida we have very smooth roads. Not many pot holes. I'm running my tires 5 psi over and I don't notice the change in ride.

Hiting pot holes on a regular bases could wear out the suspension system faster, and more tire pressure could make the situation worse. I've lived in cold weather states much of my life and I know what a pain pot holes can be. Some will swallow a tire and damage the rim.

Cheers

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's a question for a better expert. Just because something is designed to do a task doesn't mean it's designed to do a lot of it.

Presuming B mode does not deprive the ICE of oil, there should be no real wear on the motor. My thought is on how much strain the mode places on the components that make it work that normally see no use. It stands to reason that these parts would wear out sooner with more use compared to little to no use.

Someone with more understanding of how the system works in the Prius would have to answer your question or you'd have to ask the engineers at Toyota.

#45 qdllc, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015