1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anytime Camera Mod. Another Variation. Front and Rear view camera.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by TheForce, Jun 12, 2006.

1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends on the camera. if it has some kind of protection then I might not add anything. If it dont have any protection then maybe some clear bra leftovers might help or a custom plastic windshield for the camera.

2. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well since PriusChat was down I decided to see if I could fit the IPA button in the far left hole. It did not fit. :( So while I was in there I took out the rheostat and tried the IPA in that hole and it fit. Just like it should because thats where its goes in the Euro Prius. So I tried to fit the rheostat in the third hole on the left. It did not fit. So while I was in there I cut a key slot for it and slid it in. Now my dash looks more like what it was meant to be. Now I just need to build that circuit.

Here are some pictures.

My USA Prius converted to look Euro

[​IMG]

Euro Prius

[​IMG]

3. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Outstanding! Too cool.

4. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I'm think of doing the exact same thing theforce is talking about (lol lol LOL)

5. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

There are several things to can do to protect the camera.

Go to:
    www.scdlink.com

Look at Day/Night color vandal proof.
    [attachmentid=3949]

6. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

I'm almost ready for this mod, I am just getting some final details on the wiring. I still need to order my 12 volt IR floods for the IR Fog Lamp Mod but until then the camera should pick up anything in front of the car at night.

[attachmentid=4010]

7. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Step one Anytime Reverse Camera Mod.
    Done and operational. Works great!
    Thanks to "Darelldd," and "The Force" for your help.

Next two mods are speed wire interrupt and nav overide switch.

8. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I found this the other day and I think I will add it to this mod.

Motion Detection DVR Surveillance Kit

I think I could easily add this to my 2 camera setup. Maybe even add one more DVR and 2 more cameras for full coverage. ;) I think I even might be able to get it all to run off of solor power and a battery backup.

9. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Ok I found out the 50 Watt IR bulbs heat up to 180 deg. F., so I won't be using those.

Here is what I have come up with.

Camera
    [attachmentid=4049]

Night Vision Camera
    [attachmentid=4050]

Illuminator
    [attachmentid=4051]

10. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I thought it would be cool to move the rear camera to the rear surface of the shark fin antenna. The trianglar pc board would have to move, but it would look cool. The wide angle is so distorted that maybe all you'd see would be the back window surface, though.

11. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Jul 11 2006, 03:49 PM) [snapback]284557[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think I would want to move the rear backup camera up there but that would be a good place for one. I'll keep that in mind for a security camera location.

12. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

13. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Since you guys are talking about front camera for the Prius, did anyone think about using the Corolla Verso's front camera system?

14. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

possible side mirror mod.
    [attachmentid=4267]
    [attachmentid=4268]

15. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK time to bring this back from the dead. I really want to get this project rolling and need help designing a circuit. If you can help for free that would be great but I would also be willing to pay for your time if you can design the circuit for me. I have posted on one electronics forum but have not got any takers yet. Any help with my project would be greatly appreciated.

It has been about 6 years since I have been in an electronics class and most of the stuff I have forgotten. I do know about resisters, AND OR gates, LEDs, switches, and relays. I do know how to solder, how to use a breadboard and how to route traces on a circuit board. There might be some more lingering back in my brain. The only hard part for me is figuring out how to get the thing to work the way I want and thats why I need your help. I would also like to mention that I have electronics workbench so if anyone could help me out with the design in that program that would greatly help me understand whats going on.

The button is a momentary SPST

This is what I would like the circuit do.
    Press button turn on front camera.
    Press button turn on rear camera.
    Press button cameras off and everything is normal. Car will activate rear camera when backing up like normal.
    When the front or rear camera is switched on the circuit will provide power to the indicator LED on the switch.
    When turning on the front camera the circuit will provide power to the front camera. ( this is just an idea and not really needed at this point )

This is some snippets from Darell's site about the mod. http://www.evnut.com/prius_mfd_video.htm
    The goal for the switch is to selectively jumper the gray wire to the pink wire, and the diode is to keep the reverse lights from turning on. Nothing gets pulled to ground, we're just passing the + signal of the gray wire over to the pink wire to activate the camera and screen. This will activate the rear camera anytime.

[​IMG]

The pins for the switch are...
    2-7 Indicator LED
    3-6 SPST switch
    4-5 LED Rheostat controlled. I have this one covered. There is no need to design for this.

[​IMG]

I've looked around trying to find a prebuilt switch I could tap into but I have been unsuccessful. I've also looked around on the net to find something to build but still have not found anything. I was planning to use some relays for a simple design but from the looks of it a simple pic controller and a few relays might do the trick but I've never used a pic controller.

I will also need a source for all components used in the circuit along with surface mount RCA and molex connectors for the video and other wiring. The local ratshack wont work for obvious reasons. They might have a few parts but not all.

So can anyone help me?

I hope this is enough information. If i'm missing anything or if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

16. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One last mid day BUMP before I give up on getting some help designing a circuit. Can any one help? :(

17. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

I wish I could help, but the only thing I can say is you may want one more push on that switch to add a DVD to tap into the screen. I know that is what I would like to do. Also, you may one day want to have a video phone or a back seat cam if you ever have a baby back there.

I know I would really like to add a Mac mini with a TV card for traffic and weather in the AM. I may also mod the screen to swivel toward the passenger so I can't see it when the news is on or a DVD is playing.

I’m just giving you ideas for the future.

18. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Cheap! All those are great ideas! If I ever need to add more video inputs I would just add them to my future in dash PC. :D

I'm finally getting some help form an electronics forum. :D They gave me info on what to use and how to use it. With this new info I think I can add up to 8 or 9 video inputs. :D but i'm not going to get ahead of my self here and i'm only going to shoot for the front and back camera. I may add the option to have 4 cameras. Front, Back, Left, and Right or use the extra inputs for something else. :D

I just bought about $220 worth of electronic supplies. Powered breadboard, resisters, diodes, LEDs, capacitors, relays lots of relays :rolleyes: , OR gates, jumper wires, 555 timers, counter/divider, and voltage regulators. :eek: Hope I did not forget anything. I still need to buy some 4047 multivibrators and some AND gates to play with.

Here is my first draft of the logic of the circuit. This does not include resisters, regulators, capacitors ect... It is also missing the debouncer section for the switch. If anyone here has any input or can help on the the design of the circuit it would be greatly appreciated! :D

[​IMG]

19. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

I'm getting ready to do some mods this weekend as the weather in Houston has coold a bit. I have not put my head under the dash or hood yet but have you? Do you have any ideas of where to penetrate the fire wall with the camera wire?

I think for now I will use a push button for Anytime Camera mode and a slide switch for choosing which feed I want, Front or back. I wish I could find a small push button dial like the volume switch.

Button out = Anytime Camera mode
    Turn one click to the right= front view
    Turn one more click to the right= Baby cam
    Turn one more click = DVD/TV
    Push the button back in and it could be completely hidden under the dash and back to normal MFD.

I'll be sure to take pics as I install the front view cam.

++++Anyone...Please post if you have a solution for routing the wires

Thanks

20. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Sep 15 2006, 03:13 PM) [snapback]320226[/snapback]</div>
    Some time ago I had an auto electrician friend have a look at routing a cable from the front of the car to behind the dash. He said there was room to put a cable through the firewall where a big bundle of wires already go through a rubber grommet. The grommet is about 2 1/2" in diameter.
    The grommet on the right hand drive is about a third of the way from the left side of the engine bay looking from the front. It is relatively easy to get to from the engine bay and apparently is in the clear from inside the car (although I cannot personally vouch for that).
    The easiest route under the hood would be to take the cabling around the engine bay on the left-hand side (looking from the front). Of course, your left-hand drive car may be different from our right-hand model.