1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anytime Camera Mod. Another Variation. Front and Rear view camera.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by TheForce, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Oct 24 2006, 01:35 PM) [snapback]337470[/snapback]</div>
    I have not penetrated the firewall on a Prius but I have on other cars in the past.
    Get a wire coat hanger (strong wire) and bend it over in such a way that you can hammer the bend flat. Now place the end of the wire to go through the firewall in the bend and hammer it flat so as to trap the wire. Push this through the rubber boot next to existing cables. If it does not trap the wire firmly enough solder it onto the coathanger. Having a bend in the coathanger stops any sharp edges damaging other cables in the rubber boot. Thead the coathanger all the way through.
    If the cable already has a connector attached, thread though a piece of spare wire with the coathanger. Tie this wire behind the connector and while someone pulls the loose end from inside the car gently thread the connector into the the rubber boot. The connector should be long enough so that it will emerge on the inside before it disappears from the outside. A small tug on the spare wire should see the connector all the way through.

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the tip.

I think I will make this a 2 day process. First day get the box installed and working. I'll do this first because it looks like it might be the longest of the jobs and if I cant get the front camera installed the way I want I will still have a working anytime rear camera mod. :D The second day I'll install the front camera.

Thats the plan. :unsure:

3. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Oct 25 2006, 07:52 PM) [snapback]338351[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like a good idea.
    I presume you have already tried the camera with the box and it is working correctly.

4. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orf @ Oct 25 2006, 09:11 PM) [snapback]338356[/snapback]</div>
    The box switches video just fine out side the car. I will find out if it truly works when I get it installed. :)

5. frenchie

frenchie Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Oct 24 2006, 01:35 PM) [snapback]337470[/snapback]</div>
    hello , yes I did it to install an electric bell.
    go there to see some pictures : http://prius-touring-club.com/vbf/showthre...=190&page=2
    nothing to cut:
    I just used a long & thin screwdriver to make a small hole in the rubber , after that , I just pushed a rigid wire through the hole and it was ok.

6. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(frenchie @ Oct 26 2006, 04:26 AM) [snapback]338471[/snapback]</div>

I love that bell. I think I seen a few people in the video did a double take. :lol:

Making the hole sounds easy. I cant wait to get my camera installed now. Thanks for the link to the pictures.

7. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(frenchie @ Oct 26 2006, 03:26 AM) [snapback]338471[/snapback]</div>
    Two things.
    1. I wish I could read French.
    2. I did not know Windstrings spoke French.

8. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Oct 26 2006, 11:50 AM) [snapback]338607[/snapback]</div>
    Spin around in your chair 100 times, put on your google glasses and click this link.

http://tinyurl.com/yesjhh

Now you can read French. ;) :D

9. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Oct 26 2006, 11:10 AM) [snapback]338623[/snapback]</div>
    If I puke after only 78 spins do I have to start over?

10. ProwessIntrepid

ProwessIntrepid New Member

If you can do so much with cameras and you want something really unique, why dont you put a camera where your side view mirrors are. Get some of that police special sided mirrors and put a camera behind there. If it looked like cameras were on the outside then some punk would probably steal it, so you have to be stealthy. I am not kidding or anything...I mean why wouldn't it work? I have seen prototype cars that use cameras instead of mirror, so why can't we add our own. You could empty out the side mirrors and attach the camera in there and wire it to the MFD or another display in the cockpit. I would then put the police mirror thing to hide the camera but I dont know if that would hurt how the camera displays the view. I mean how cool would it be to have a backup camera, a forward camera, and side view cameras. Ohhh! and for those of us that wish the Prius had a moon roof, a moon camera. A little camera right in the roof pointing up so we can see the stars on the MFD at night. Maybe the antenna area could be replaced by a camera. :lol: I can't wait to try this when my Prius arrives.....although maybe I shouldn't post this cause then everyone will have a very unique Prius....I must run and hide now with my schematics :ph34r:

11. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

The Force is slowly working on a four camera system with full time digital recording. Also, he or I or both may one day put a cam in the shark fin antenna. I want to completely remove my rearview mirrors and put two 7"wide pop up screens on my dash with cameras going to the base of the old review mirrors. That base will still be able to aim the cameras like you can the mirrors now. There are pin holes cameras so they will be stealthy. I will install turn indicators on the small stumps of my own design. I may consider putting in a digital recorder too, but before that, like the force, I want to put in a “carputer†with a pop up screen in the glass shelf below the radio. If I can one day I would also like to put air bags on my car so I can raise it for getting in and our and lower 4 inches on freeways like the land speed recorded Prius. Not that I speed but I would like to tweak this car to see what mpg this thing can get. I know I will put on rear skirts and a full belly pan early next year for testing. I may make my rear spoiler extendable at high speeds longer than the touring’s spoiler. But that will depend on many other factors. Right now this is just a hobby and I’m having fun.

12. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I got the first part of the installation done. I now have a working anytime rear camera! :D

Tomorrow I get to install the front camera! :D

So far the switch works great just like it should. It switched from the front to the rear then off. It also powers the indicator LED on the IPA switch and sends 12v to the front camera when activated.

More pictures and maybe a video tomorrow. :D

Some disassembly required. :eek:

[​IMG]

Close up of my mess.

[​IMG]

Here is where I put my switcher box. It fits perfect right behind the radio. B) I put some foam tape around it to keep it snug and quiet.

[​IMG]

13. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

As always... looking good!

14. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm finished! Everything works like it should.

It was dark so I did not get any good screen pics but you can see the road pretty good if you turn the fog lights on. Hay I guess the fog lights are not that worthless after all. :)

I will try to get some good pics tomorrow.

Here is where my camera is.

[​IMG]

15. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Fantastic!

Now up date your sig.

Please post how to picks too.

Thanks

16. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Great work! Are you worried about rocks and the like, in the front?

17. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I dont think I will be writing a how to guide because i'm not very good at it.

I did punch through the rubber boot in the firewall to run the wire through. The wires I ran along the wall of the driver side of the engine compartment. The wires in the inside I was able to hide in the center area below the radio behind the plastic thing.

I'm a little worried about rocks but after having my car for 11 months now I dont really see any major dings around that area from rocks. If the camera gets busted I guess I will have to buy a new one.

Here are some more pics.

Here is a reference pic.

[​IMG]

Here is what the camera can see.

[​IMG]

Here is a close up of what it can see.

[​IMG]

Here is the IPA button illuminated and the indicator LED lit.

[​IMG]

18. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Could you take some pictures and give a description of running the wire from the front? I would like to hook mine up now. B)

19. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are some wire routing pics. Hope this helps.

The bright green line is how I routed the wire.

[​IMG]

Close up of the driver side engine area where the wire is routed. There is a split right on top of the fuse box so if I need to take the bumper off I can dissconnect it. I had a few feet left over so I bundeled it up and use a wire zip strap to hold it above the fuse box.

[​IMG]

Here is where I got through the firewall. My first attempt failed and I had to try another location. For some reason I could not see my coat hanger on the other side so I decided to try a different location and got through.

[​IMG]

I routed the wire down behind a metal box and then in between the accelerator box and what ever that was above it. That hole was just big enough for the connectors to go through. I then routed it behind the carpet and up through the back of the center area below the radio.

[​IMG]

20. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Well I got my "Front View" camera working today, but I think I may have something backwards.

:D

[attachmentid=5696]

Thanks Force

Attached Files: