1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anytime Fog lamp

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Cheap!, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

I have a question about the anytime fog lamp mod. I noticed that you must have the running lights on to make the fog lamps work. It there anyway to make the fog lamps work without the running lights being on? Is there a wire that is hot only when the car is on that would allow me to turn on my fog lamps only? I figure the diode is being used to get power from the running lights. Is that correct? If I could find another source that meets my specs., (Only works when car is on), I would not have to worry about the fog lamps being on when I turn off the power switch. Any Ideas?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    AFAIK, the mod using the diode does NOT require the headlights to be on (USA Prius does not have 'running lights').

3. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Try the atttached doc.

Cheers,

Curt.

4. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(finman @ Jul 7 2006, 11:45 AM) [snapback]282571[/snapback]</div>
    Curt, thanks.

Please help me understand this a little better.
    1. Relay can only operate when the car is ON - instead of only when the lights are on. "Only gives the relay the ability to operate?"
    2. FOG switch to use a CONSTANT ground signal, unaffected by the headlight switch. "Ok, have the ground always available so it is there when you need it.
    3. You have now just bypassed the Body ECU's ability to regulate fog light usage. Why do I need this?
    With the ground active won't the fog knob work without this?

5. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    1. Relay can only operate when the car is ON - instead of only when the lights are on. "Only gives the relay the ability to operate?"
    2. FOG switch to use a CONSTANT ground signal, unaffected by the headlight switch. "Ok, have the ground always available so it is there when you need it.
    3. You have now just bypassed the Body ECU's ability to regulate fog light usage. Why do I need this?
    With the ground active won't the fog knob work without this?

1) Having NOT done this...yet...it sounds like an '89 Prelude fog light mod I did: The park lites 'powered' the fogs. Doing this mod just moves that powering to a different source (an IGN) that comes on with the key, not the park lites, so the park lites are out of the picture for providing the 12 V source. Now it will be the new IGN wire.

2) ??? not sure of the wording here...I got this document from someone else.

3) I'll have to actually do this mod to be able to help, sorry!

Cheers,

Curt.

6. cagemo

cagemo Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Finman - could you (or someone?) repost the foglight mod doc? It seems to have disappeared during the last hack. Thanks!

7. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    I am finally re-posting the foglight rewire word document and a jpeg diagram. sorrry I haven't been on this board to do this...change is afoot for me...moving, job change, the whole thing. I am doing this mod tomorrow as it's supposed to be near 60 degrees! I'll try to update if I can....

Curt[attachmentid=6326]

apparently the jpeg won't attach...

Attached Files:

8. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Jul 7 2006, 08:00 AM) [snapback]282540[/snapback]</div>

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I was gona say darell did I nice display ... and above it looks like he started to show the thread .... then ... ??
    Must of lost his train of thought :D

Think it's on his web page.

10. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Here are my pics for this mod. Works like a charm. any questions, just ask! Love to help...

Curt.[attachmentid=6396][attachmentid=6397][attachmentid=6398][attachmentid=6399][attachmentid=6400][attachmentid=6401][attachmentid=6402]

Attached Files:

11. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

Thanks to this forum, I also followed the instructions for turning my fog lamps into optional DRLs. Works like a charm!

Thanks guys!

Vince