1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anytime reverse cam and external video

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Danny Hamilton, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've read a variety of posts about the "anytime backup cam" mod and yesterday I finally got up the courage to rip apart the dash and run wires from the MFD to the spare knock-out plates near the dash dimmer. I followed darelldd's instructions on which 2 wires to run to the switch, but I didn't have the skill to solder the diode in while working on top of the dash. I soldered some 3 inch extensions onto the diode, and I'll pick up some sort of splice or clamp to connect it in later (I ran out of "vampire" taps, and that was all I had handy at the time)

I used the vampire taps to hook up the switch, so this means I haven't had to "cut" any wires yet. It works great, but obviously my reverse lights turn on along with the cam when I throw the switch. I'll probably get that diode in to fix that sometime this weekend.

I've got to thank darelldd for his excellent instructions and photos giving me the confidence I needed to believe I could do this. Thanks also to hobbit for providing a link to excellent step-by-step instructions with photos on how to take apart the dash and get it back together.

The only issue I had with the whole process was accidentally dropping a vampire tap into the speaker hole on top of the dash. It disappeared into the hole and I can't find it. I suspect I'd have to take the dash apart a whole lot more to get to wherever gravity carried it, and the sun was setting so I didn't have time for that. So far I haven't heard it rattling so I may just forget about it and leave it buried in the car.

The entire process (disassemble the dash, run the wires, place the taps, solder the diode, reassemble the dash) took about 2 and a half hours, but I was going slow and careful because I was concerned about making a mistake and breaking something. Now that I've actually seen it all come apart, Ii suspect it could be done in less than an hour by an experienced individual.

That being said, I now have the itch to connect up a video jack and a switch between that and the backup cam. I've seen a few posts about that process here, and I think I understand it well enough to get it done. Having been behind the MFD now, it isn't nearly as scary as I might have thought.

My question for anyone who has hooked up a video connection to the MFD (either on their own or by installing the Costal Lockpick) is:

Does the warning message at the bottom of the screen always display when you use an external video source, or has anyone found a way to make that message go away?

2. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Way to go on the success with your DIY. I agree. Darell has awesome info!

To answer your question...
    No warning message when using Ultimate Lockpick3.

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Shucks, thanks guys. :blush: Most of my info came from others though... that's what gave ME the initial confidence to get 'er done.

Good work, Danny! Do yourself a favor and forget the connector you dropped! You may just find it at your feet one day, or may never seen it again. A donation to the mod gods.

Answer for Danny: That reverse message will always be there if you just add a jack, I'm afraid. I haven't heard of anybody magically removing the thing. Use a letterbox source and at least it won't be on the image!

4. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :confused:

5. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Two different methods (for the same result) discussed here.
    Mine, the Ultimate Lockpick3, shows no warning/safety message when using an external video source. The entire screen displays just the video, the same way a TV does with a dvd player hooked up to it, or an iPod, etc.

Hope thats what you mean.
    Hope this info helps.