1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AP Sources: GM to sell diesel version of Chevy Cruze in US; car could get 50 mpg on highway

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is nothing speculative about this story at all!

A Cruze Diesel? Hallijulia!

2. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll believe it when I see it. Reason: There is only one manufacturer selling diesel cars in the US now (VW) and not many of them. I would safely guess that the cost on such a car would rise a good bit above where it is now. Diesel also costs, in the US, appreciably more than gas. I think it would end up being as expensive or more so than a Prius (not including the cost of our cars this year, a temporary spike).

From last post's article
    Great, so why bother? Prius gets 50 mpg on cheaper fuel.

3. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Gallons are confusing way to compare diesel and gasoline cars. Diesel has more energy per gallon than Gasoline, (especially E-10), and a different price, usually higher in the US. Does anyone really care how many gallons they burn? Or just how much it costs. Or how much pollution it produces.

4. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I "lied" earlier, I guess maybe there are some very limited luxury runs of diesel cars in the US also but in terms of meaningful numbers it's only VW until you get into trucks or other large platforms.

I kind of see diesel the way I see rotary engines. Been around long enough that if it was ever going to get traction it already would have.

7. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    So getting the same MPG on a small portion of a normal commute with fuel that is 30+ c more expensive a gallon is beating the pants off something?

Feel the burn guys, we are getting whooped. ;)

8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The tax credit was $1300 when I traded in my old TDI for an '09. For 2010 models the credit was 1/2 that from June 'til the end of the year. For 2011, even without the credit,the sales are still going strong. Quite frankly, I've never seen VW dealers stocking up on TDIs like they do now. It used to be "Yea, I think we have one of those in the back".

Quite frankly, the thing that more than likely will cut into TDI sales is Chevy coming out with a diesel. You'd be surprised at how many people drive VW's but can't stand the company. I'm one of them. ;)

9. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Going from VW to Chevy probably won't make you any happier.

10. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    lol

11. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Wanna bet? I've owned cars from many manufacturers and not one of them has been back to the dealer more times than the VW, and every time it was like I was a criminal with those people. Never again.

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I believe it has more to doe with the higher pressure injection system. Biodiesel produces less particlates, but perhaps it doesn't burn hot enough to regen the filter.Then the ability of homebrewing fuel with no outside pressure to keep to QC standards also have a part.

Either way, the days of simply being able to dump biodiesel, SVO, or even used motor oil into a diesel's fuel tank are gone. If you are really interested in that route, I understand the 2003 VW TDI's are the newest you can try with.

13. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    VW USA overall diesel rate varies between 20 and 23 percent. Highest rate on the Sportwagen and then the next is the Golf, from the last numbers given. I suspect the Prius v is going to take a big bite out of the Sportwagen TDi sales and therefore will knock VW's rate down.

Audi's rates are in the 40s and 50s, I think.

14. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    About 30% of my driving is highway. 50 mpg highway is only exciting if it gets 50 mpg off-highway. Not to mention, I really like a bit smaller car than the Cruze (like the Prius).

15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Did you mistype here? The Cruze is a size class smaller than the Prius. It's a Corolla competitor.