1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Apollo spacecraft reaction control sysyem inspired Prius v shifter

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Georgina Rudkus, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    shift to drive.JPG shift to brake.JPG My husband's friend, one of the original aerospace engineers who did minor work on the Apollo Program, used my Prius v to make this shifter inspired by Charles Stark "Doc" Draper who designed the inertial guidance and reaction control DSKY computer at MIT in the 1960's. shift to reverse.JPG close up view.JPG The following photos show Doc Draper's original prototype:
    Apollo rcs joystick.JPG Apollo joystick.JPG

Attached Files:

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. Centerpunch

Centerpunch Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I suppose there may be a technical reason the Prius needs an unconventional shifter (that doesn't tell you what gear it's in unless you look up on the dash, and where the "park" position is an entirely different switch), but I really hate that "feature," which means you can't let anyone else drive your car without giving them a detailed lesson.

4. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yet another spinoff from the Apollo program! (y)

5. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    A couple fewer degrees of freedom, but, yeah.

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I think the shifter is great. It works easily and every carwash kid in the area knows how to use it. I also like the fact that it automatically goes into park when you push the power switch. Meanwhile my crv has an electronically controlled cvt but they waste a huge amount of space with a conventional floor shifter. And it has to be shifted into park manually or it can roll away after powering down.

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When I went from a conventional vehicle to the Prius it took me some time ( very little ) to adjust to the Prius "shifter". At first I thought I didn't like it, just because it had all the conventional markings of a traditional automatic transmission "shifter", but was different.

But after I used it, I came to really like it. Part of the acceptance process for me was to stop thinking of it as as "shifter" and think of it as a selection switch.
    IMO if you think of it as a "shifter" then you have all the mental baggage and comparison to regular vehicle automatic transmissions shifters.
    IMO if you think of it as what it really is, in a Prius, and that is a selection switch, then the fact that it doesn't act like and even really look like a conventional shifter, just makes more comprehensible sense. At least to me personally.
    So for those proclaiming to NOT like the set up? I suggest you stop trying to shift....and simply select.

Elektroingenieur and benagi like this.
  8. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Exactly: the shift lever is like the reverser on a locomotive control stand, only it doesn’t stay in position, and the handle doesn’t come out.
    In Toyota’s world, or at least the one described in New Car Features (more info), you have to do both: “The shift lever position sensor consists of a select sensor that detects the lateral movement of the shift lever, and a shift sensor that detects the longitudinal movement of the shift lever.”