1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Apple iPhone integration

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by davidsf, Apr 30, 2017.

1. davidsf

davidsf Junior Member

I think if it had Apple CarPlay I would buy it. However it doesn't. My question is how good is the Bluetooth integration with iPhone? Can I send text messages by voice and will it read back text message? Thanks.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It reads text messages to me aloud from my Android. Don't know about sending by voice since I haven't tried any voice recognition on the car. I have sent quick messages from the touch screen.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are two ways.

I think there are preset replies you can send back.

There is also Siri Eyes Free which allows you to control Siri via the steering wheel. I haven't tried it but you might be able to compose a message that way too.

4. martydallas

martydallas Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    ok, I have had CarPlay and do wish this would be offered. even if it was extra $$ it would be will worth it to me.

I have the Advance model. The "Siri Eyes Free" works just OK. I am getting by. by holding done the phone button on the steering well you activate Siri. All is good with that. What I don't like thus far is that when you get a message in, the car will read it to you. YOU CAN NOT REPLY. to reply you have to hold down the Phone button to active Siri and then say "send _____ a text message" every time. so if you have messages like I do, sometimes there is a lot of back and forth and this is vary long prosses. also maps on the car is not as good or updated as well as apple maps.

5. cjp767

cjp767 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I had a bluetooth hiccup today. I was streaming music from my iPhone to my Prime Advanced and used Siri Eyes Free to make a phone call. Everything worked fine and I ended the call. Then, the bluetooth music would not play-- it showed connected and it showed the music advancing, but nothing was coming out of the speakers. I had my passenger troubleshoot by turning on and off the iPhone's bluetooth, changing the volume, changing sources (FM, etc.) with no success using bluetooth as a source. (FM and others worked fine). When I got home I turned the car off then on-- bluetooth streaming worked fine. Ugh. I've used Siri Eyes Free to make calls before and it completed the cycle back to streaming properly, but it didn't work today. Tomorrow, who knows. I'm glad I wasn't on a long road trip. I'd hate to cycle the car's power after every phone call!

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Happened to me on my Gen 6 headunit (2010 Prius) with an iPod streaming via BT while answering a call. It only happened once. Oddly enough, when I used my iPhone to stream + call, it never had any problems. Siri Eyes Free might be the same issue as my split use of phone and iPod.

Again, it hasn't happened again so I just brushed it off as a fluke error. Something didn't work in the background and the iPod didn't pair back when the called ended.

cjp767 likes this.
  7. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I had ongoing BT issues on my Gen3, have a 6S+ for ~ 18 months now and the problem got worse in the past 6 months i had that car, quite frankly i think it's an iOS issue ... in my Prime, for 5 weeks now, not a single issue ...