1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Apple Leaving US Chamber of Commerce. What Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by boulder_bum, Oct 7, 2009.

1. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So Apple recently left the US Chamber of Commerce in a dispute about climate change. Apple works hard to reduce their impact, while the CoC fought EPA regulation, arguing that it would be too expensive to reduce pollution.

I, for one, buy a lot of Apple products specifically because they are "green"!

My desktop is a Mac Mini, and I love that it consumes 1W in sleep mode, 17W in idle, and I love that I can leave it asleep, then have it "wake on demand" when I want to stream content from iTunes to my Apple TV or Airport Express thanks to a new feature of Snow Leopard!

It seems like they are big innovators in green technology (not a big surprise, since Al Gore is on their board of directors). I'm a big fan!

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    All I can say is that if they are opposed to the stance taken by the CoC then good for them that they stood their ground.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Good for Apple!

One of the fundamental problems with an unregulated free market is that many corporations will behave in ways that damage the nation in the quest for short-term profits. And our corporate culture encourages this bad behavior through large executive bonuses based on short-term profits, and the short tenure of executive positions: When an executive expects to remain a short time at a given company, he has no incentive to make the company a good corporate citizen.

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Apple isn't the only one to leave over this, either... California's largest utility, Pacific Gas and Electric Co., has also left for the same reasoning, as has Nike.

5. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I heard that Exxon also left, FWIW.

6. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    we all know how green they are...:flypig: