1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Apple Watch - medical device???

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ETC(SS), Sep 24, 2018.

1. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK.....so.

My feelings about i-thingies are about the same as my feelings about veganism, soccer, and Volvos.

There are probably net benefits, but I just don't like being around their militant activists.
    Disclosures:
    I'm mostly vegan for the better part of a year, and I live in a country where most post pubescent males do not / will not play soccer.
    Ever.
    Also....FWIW my feelings about Volvo are about the same as those I have about Subies and/or Lahnd Rovah......they're mostly self-punishing.

Since I'm forced to carry and use an iphone every day (Currently an 8) I have some passing familiarity with their little walled garden, and I give Apple full credit for the fact that I also carry a Droid that costs 1/5 as much and is 9/10th as good.
    I also have a fitbit that's a year and a half old that I wear daily that has somewhat forced me back into the habit of wearing a watch again. - something I was free from for almost a decade!!!!!
    :mad:

The reason for the fitbit is the same as the reason that I'm mostly a herbivore these days.

Practicality.
    I would sit on my duff and surf the web all day long and eat cows, pigs, chickens, and other critters by the (insert collective noun here) BUT I also want to be independent well into my nineties.....and so I'm being forced into the horrible practice of healthier eating and regular exercise.
    As I've said here before, I do not think that this will result in me living longer......it's just going to SEEM longer!!

What's WORSE is that I've actually had to ask for Vegan entrees in some of the local eateries, in front of people that KNOW me, and the bots who are in charge of monitoring my internet activities are making some ABYSMAL assumptions about what kind of ads that I might be interested in!!!!

I'm a big fan of IOT and now Apple, who has had their big toe in the medical pool for a few years now is about to stick both feet in with their newest i-thingy.
    Since we live in a nation where they make it difficult for most people to order their own diagnostic tests - this newest......what?...
    Competitor?
    Interloper?
    Disruptor?
    Upstart....has some in the medical community clutching pearls with both cold, sanitized hands with the horrible thought that people without letters after their names will be able to actually see some of the data from their own bodies in action!

I see this as a good thing, despite some of the goofier aspects of people self-diagnosing with the internet, and I suspect (although I cannot prove) that people in the medical community had the same reactions when such medical devices as thermometers and BP cuffs were allowed to be sold to the ordinary uneducated rabble.

Ever try to spell-check sphygmomanometer?? :eek:

I know that the average Priuser has more than a passing acquaintance with all things Apple, politics, and ejumacation.....but.....

What say YOU, PC posters????

#1 ETC(SS), Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    Salamander_King likes this.
  2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are really interested in this subject, you should follow and read his book
    Eric Topol (@EricTopol) | Twitter
    A big proponent of personal handheld (smartphone) medical device. I closed my Twitter account along with my FB account when Cambridge Analytica fiasco came to surface, so I don't know what he has been tweeting in recent months, though.

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm really enjoying the Apple watch series 2 that I've had a little over a year. It was an upgrade from my Fitbit which usually thought I was dead when I walked or jogged. No amount of fussing would make it dependable. Apple watch has been almost perfectly reliable and, it turns out that I leave my phone in my pocket a lot more. And it pushes me harder while not being nasty about it. I got the Fitbit after getting three stents installed to fix four blockages, two of which were 95%. On my last stress test, I got an A+ and the cardiologist was delighted. I might have managed that w/o the Apple watch, but I kind of doubt it.

I don't believe the watches are meant to be used for diagnostics, but they are good as alarms for potentially dangerous conditions. Going to the doctor and saying "I have a-fib," probably won't elicit a positive response. But saying, "Hey, I got this alarm from my watch. Can we check it out?" That would be more reasonable. Doctors like to hear our symptoms, but not our conclusions.

Zythryn likes this.
  4. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey neighbor ! Not many PIPs around here.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Sphygmo@1. I understand that pulse oximeters are regulated as medical devices and not sold to US public. Here in the Wild West (East?) they are $20 equivalent on Taobao.

If the question is getting people more into their own medical data I vote yes. But post it on The Cloud (clouds rain everywhere) I switch to no.

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We can buy those in the US

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Good to hear - this may be a recent change because my (mis)understanding is 3 yrs old.

From $13.50 at Walmart(TM)

==
    In interests of globalizing discussion of public participation in medicalia, it is popular in Costa Rica to take vitamins by self injection. Pharmacias stock pre-loaded hypodermics.

In Asia's largest country (that isn't Russia) most of what you would consider prescription drugs are essentially over-the-counter. Assuming you can describe the desired product :)

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  9. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Any SMART device can collect DATA. But as saying goes...

Data is not Information
    Information is not Knowledge
    Knowledge is not Wisdom

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Another wrinkle.....

Data may not be fact or knowledge, or wisdom but it can be monetized, just as is currently happening in many shops presently.
    (Hint.....OTA software "updates" go both ways.....:eek: )

Our friends on the other side of the pond are noodling out such things as privacy and the right(?) to be forgotten, and Apple has always more or less trod more carefully in the world of big data than others.....maybe.
    If facial recognition is an order of magnitude more intrusive than fingertips, what new arenas of mischief will arise with the 'keys to the kingdom' that is our DNA?
    ..."Sorry Chief. We can't hire you because your profile indicates that you're 53.7 percent more likely to get assyscracthiosis than we like to see in our perspective employees........Oh....and then there was that cancer scare last year......."

There's gold in them thair hills!

Me personally?
    I didn't get a choice in the matter.
    They got my DNA back in the 80's, and everything else in all of the SF86 data that was exported to.....ah......"friends" across other ponds, so privacy isn't my biggest motivator.

I still think that the IOT and big data are net positives, but Apple's wet legs are going to cause ripples in the market.....and not just falling profits for cardiologists.

11. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Last time I looked at this pulse oximeters were available both with and without FDA medical device certification. Those with certification are more expensive, but otherwise exactly the same. The practical difference is that a certified device may be covered by medical insurance.

I remember waiting in line for at least a half hour at a medical screening fair to have my blood oxygen read by a desk size device. The answer was that I was OK. These days I read my oxygen level, pulse, and pulse wave on my personal $80 CMS50E fingertip oximeter. Just sitting here I'm at 95%, and breathing deeply it goes up to 98%. Suck some oxygen from my Craigslist oxygen concentrator and the value quickly goes to 99%.

I think you need a prescription to purchase a new oxygen concentrator for medical use. But if you are just going to use it for welding jewelry, no prescription is required. It's not the product, but the declared usage that establishes whether or not a prescription is required.

Oxygen used for homebrew beer does not require a prescription... :sneaky:

12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    95% is not a kick-ash value for dwellers near sea level, but it sounds like you are managing.

Not sure quite how oximeters are calibrated but I'd not be surprised by varying results with 10 on 10 fingers.

Clearly, drug prescriptions and medical devices are handled differently in different countries. It would seem to fit purpose of this discussion were someone inclined to assemble a chart.

==
    Quite unsure what would be use of oxygen in beer brewing, as excluding it is what allows yeast to stop respiring at about the halfway point.

13. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think my performance category is more like "still kicking" as opposed to younger categories. I've always had problems with breathing, and it's not getting better with age.

One thing I want to do with oxygen is to bubble ozone through olive oil and breath it. I've got all the equipment, but haven't hooked it up yet. Medical ozone is used extensively in Germany and Cuba, but is almost unknown in the US. Another oxygen therapy is EWOT, Exercise With Oxygen Therapy. Theory is that as you get older, cell walls become less permeable to oxygen. For the same level of blood oxygen saturation, less oxygen gets into older cells than young ones. EWOT is reported to improve cell wall permeability.

14. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oxygen can be added to the wort (initial mixture) to speed up the process. Too little or too much destroys flavor, but the right amount can make the best flavor beer. Just google "beer oxygen" for more than you thought existed...