1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by Prim.e.xample, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Prim.e.xample

Prim.e.xample Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Has anyone used the Toyota app on their Apple Watch? I have the Toyota app on my phone and it has a version for the watch. But all it does is show a gas meter. Before I logged in on my phone it gave a dummy start/stop feature that I was excited to see if it worked.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I quickly glanced over the latest Apple news last night and it mentioned bringing auto-start ability to some cars but I think it was in the CarPlay app. :unsure:

Prim.e.xample likes this.
  3. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Am I remembering correctly that that AppleWatch app is for Entune 3 only, and thus only relevant to 2020 Primes?

Prim.e.xample likes this.
  4. Prim.e.xample

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I remember on the WWDC announcement they said it would be coming to BMW first. I guess that would make sense having to use CarPlay. I will play around with it some more and update if I find something.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also note that Apple CarKey will be available on Watch Series 5 or newer so you guys pretty much have to upgrade unless you bought the latest (as of this writing) Watch.

6. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Is Toyota planning to support that?

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No idea. No other automaker has been mentioned.

8. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    IIRC, Apple mentioned BMW planning to support it, but I can’t recall any mention either way with respect to Toyota.

9. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So far, just the 2021 Big Money Waster 5 series. It looks amazing, though. If I spend enough on my car I can take my phone out of my pocket and use it to touch the door handle before opening the door ... as opposed to my current situation of not messing with the phone and just opening the door. Ummmm. Why?

Amazing technology and expense, all designed to make it take longer for me to get in the car. 171697_HeadScratchingEmoji.jpg

Merkey likes this.
  10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When the apples come out with watch # next and the 5s are about $200....then I’ll probably upgrade.
    My 3 is still quite serviceable and has about paid for itself by allowing my employer to reach me more easily for voluntary OT.

BUT...
    Since I still have to carry keys, AT BEST using my phone to get into my car would be a +1.

I already have a metal key tie wrapped to my cars with a debatteried fobs hidden inside so it is effectively impossible for me to be locked out - and I have passive entry so the phone feature is valueless for now.
    As a matter of fact....its easier to just walk up to the car and grab the handle.

The Apples want to make this a standard for all OEMs....like CarPlay.
    Droids will do likewise, since nearly all OEMS also support Android Auto.

11. Prim.e.xample

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I agree it’s already so easy to just pull in the door handle to get in. I was more interested in the auto start/stop feature which we don’t have on the 2020. At least that I know of...

As for the watch, I’ve been curious for a few years if it’s worth it and had Xmas/bday money to blow. So far I like the ECG and BPM functions. Talking into the watch Dick Tracy-style is still weird lol.

#11 Prim.e.xample, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2020
    jerrymildred likes this.
  12. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Reasonable point. I gather the goal is to be able to leave your keys at home — one less thing (or multiple things if you have multiple cars) to carry around.

It should work like Tesla’s smartphone key though. Your phone gets sufficiently close to the car, and it unlocks the car, and when it gets far enough away, it locks the car. You don’t have to do anything with your phone; just have it with you.

13. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @ Dick Tracy phone:
    I usually do not use it as a telephone but it DOES work in a pinch.
    Fitbits are MUCH MUCH better at fitness tracking but the Apple Watch is clearly better at notifications and “good nuff” for cardio and steps.
    Since notifications > fitness tracking for me the Appples were a clear winner.........for me.

@phone as a key.
    Like I said....it will serve as a +1, but I would want a way into the car if my phone dies, gets lost or stolen in BFE......and I’m sure they are thinking about that.
    I have seen too many stories in this forum where a lost fob resulted in meeting Bob the Tow Truck driver.

YMMV

mr88cet likes this.
  14. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ditto on using the watch as a phone. But I do read and respond to maybe half my texts w/o taking the phone out of my pocket. And the series 5 is nice because I can use a face that, at a glance, lets me see outside temperature with forecast high & low, remaining batteyr level, fitness rings progress, wind speed & direction, rain chances, most recent heart rate, and date. At a tap, I can recheck heart rate, check my calendar, start an exercise activity, or any number of other things. Pretty amazing IMHO. And, I can use Siri on it to start timers, dictate texts, and other stuff. I could use it to play music if I wanted to. And that's on the non-cellular version.

Prim.e.xample and Tideland Prius like this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ditto. Getting notifications on the watch beats having to look at the phone (and thus leave it in my pocket rather than on the table).

Just like @jerrymildred , I like seeing the outside temperature so I know how to dress in the morning (hey, we have chilly mornings, even though the afternoons are shorts temperatures) as well set timers or reminders via Siri. The calendar at the top is also nice. (depending on watch face, you can have just the shortcut or actually state the next calendar item).

I can use my Watch to pay - contactless CC payment as well as EV Charging Station activation (e.g. ChargePoint) without touching my phone. You get a notification after the CC charge is recorded so you can see the last payment (as well as the last 5 payments on your phone if enabled).

When travelling, I found it useful for directions. Set direction via Apple Maps and then you get buzzes and directions on your Watch so you can walk without constantly checking your phone if you're heading in the right direction or what the next street to turn is; you just glance at your wrist. It works with subway too (Used it in Tokyo).

Prim.e.xample and jerrymildred like this.
  16. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh, yeah. All that ^^^ stuff @Tideland Prius mentioned, too.

AND, I sit down at my deck and open my laptop and the watch unlocks the computer. Same at the office with the iMac. Just tap a key and the watch does the password for me. It also sometimes (and sometimes not) lets me double-click the side button instead of entering the computer's password for admin stuff. I still haven't seen the pattern yet for when it will and when it won't.

17. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought I'd post what it looks like:
    IMG_2120.PNG

18. Prim.e.xample

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I haven't had any success pairing my watch to the Prime yet. It's as simple as the iPhone so I don't know what is going on. It shows up fine with the code, but when it takes the code to finish it says error. I will have to keep trying.

19. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The watch ONLY pairs with the iPhone. It won't pair with a Mac, iPad, Android, Windows, or a car.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2021 Avalon will allow Apple Watch integration if you have a Remote Connect subscription (via Safety Connect). Looks like it's for locking/unlocking but not starting the car (among other car-related things you can check like fuel level)

jerrymildred likes this.