1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AppRadio 4 installation issue - 2004 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by iwannanewprius, Dec 13, 2016.

1. iwannanewprius

iwannanewprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings,

I have a 2004 Prius, Package 9 with the JBL sound system.

I recently upgraded the stereo system. I had the radio/CD player removed and replaced with a Pioneer AppRadio 4. I wanted Apple CarPlay and a better Bluetooth interface.

After initial installation, the phone portion wasn't working, so the installer added some resistor and then it worked.

However, I then noticed an annoying sound at all times. I don’t recall if this was there initially or only after they fixed the phone portion. It’s a pulsing static noise that occurs every 2-3 seconds or so. It happens whether the radio is on or off. It’s pretty quiet, but annoying and constant. It sounds like it's coming from the central speaker area, but it's hard to pinpoint exactly.

I now took the car back to the shop for repair again. They worked on it and then told me they rewired the unit so that it was now taking power directly from the main car battery rather than the original power source intended for the radio. They claimed they solved the problem.

Nonetheless, it still makes the same sound.

I’m skeptical that they know what the problem is. They claimed it had to do with the amplifier signal and blamed the JBL system, but their explanation didn’t make any sense.

I’m wondering if anyone knows what this problem could be, because it’s quite annoying and I’d like to get it fixed.

I’m attaching a youtube video I made with the sound. (Please ignore my sniffing sound at beginning - apologies). You may have turn up the volume to the highest level to be able to hear the noise.

[FONT=Open Sans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Open Sans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Open Sans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I appreciate any insights / comments you may have. It’s frustrating because I’m investing money in my 13 year old car so I can prolong its life another 5-7 years.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Open Sans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Many thanks![/FONT]

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    if you think its coming just from the dash speaker, its easy to disconnect it. some folks claim it sounds better without the dash speaker hooked up.