1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Apps to replace a Scangauge

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Trollbait, Mar 12, 2022.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A while back, I had every thing ready to put the ScangaugeII into the Camry. Then I dropped it, and killed a bunch of pixels in the middle of the screen.

I got an old smart phone sitting around, so I'm looking for advice on what apps are out there that can replace the Scangauge. Also recommendations for blue tooth OBDII connectors and phone mounts.

2. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    the torque app is the closest thing to scangauge that I know of.
    You might want to give Linear Logic (scangauge) a call and see what they say about your pixels / display and or a possible firmware update / upgrade.

Trollbait likes this.
  3. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They do have great customer service. It's an old unit; pre X gauge. They've already done a free firmware update on it when it caused issues with the Sonic.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Careful about leaving smartphones in the car long term.

I went down that path to upcycle an old phone as a music player. One day I got in the car and couldn't get the music going. I stopped and looked in the center console to check the phone.

I discovered that the lithium battery had failed and "inflated" in its foil safety sac. The phone case and screen had burst and fanned out all the boards and parts, with this puffed up ball of battery in the middle.

When I got dashcams for the cars I made certain to pick ones that don't include batteries.

Trollbait likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had a work-issued MacBook whose battery eventually did that. Pushed the touchpad up out of the keyboard case.

When the replacement battery came in, I changed it (carefully, outdoors), taped over the contacts of the old one, and called the special team at $work that disposes of such things, and they came and took the old battery away.

6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My LG V20 gets cold enough after a half hour below freezing temps in the car that apps crash and the touch screen wouldn't always work either. It must have something to do with the operational temp limits of the device. But I've never seen any concrete temp limits published in phone specs.

7. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The story so far.
    Had ordered a bluetooth OBD II plug and phone mount from Amazon, but the delivery was cancelled and refunded. So reached out to Linear Logic, and they said to ship to them for a free repair. Got the Scangauge back a few days ago with new screen. Just haven't had time to test it.

bisco and Salamander_King like this.
  8. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow! That is fantastic. Nowadays you really have to praise the customer service like that. It takes real dedication for the company to support the customer and their product the way Linear Logic does.

I have SGII which I purchased over 3 years ago, then thinking to connect it to my PP to use it as a live TPMS data display. But after receiving the unit, I learned that I had to program it with PID (or was it Xgauge? or both?). The fact I had to sit in a car with the SGII connected to the OBDII port was the only way to use the unit, and there was no way to do all programming processes inside the house on my desk, made me not bother with it. It might have been an extremely easy process even sitting in the car, but ... Here it is, after 3+ years, my brand new SGII is still never been turned on even once.

#8 Salamander_King, Apr 6, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
  9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I hear you can order some really good quality bacon from the web browser at your desk. ;)

Salamander_King likes this.
  10. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We are running short now. I will have to source pig parts soon. Unfortunately, the small local grocery store with a real butcher was bought by a larger supermarket chain. Now, they don't have the flexibility to tale a custom order like slabs of pork belly. My other source would be to contact local farmers and get directly from them which I prefer but is not as convenient. Or travel to the city and check the stores in China Town.

11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I've had it since 2007 or 2008, and they upgraded the firmware for free to get it working on the Sonic.

A user at the old Gassavers site had wired up an ethernet plug to a 9V for power to the Scangauge for in house programing. I never learned how exactly.