1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Apps with Maps: 11 iPhone GPS apps compared

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ggood, Jan 14, 2011.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Apps with Maps: 11 iPhone GPS apps compared | Navigation | Macworld

Bottom Line:

"If you want to store maps on your device and not rely on cellular access for navigation, TomTom and MobileNavigator now tie for first place. Both need modest improvements, but you’ll be happy with either. Their price, at this writing, is identical for U.S. editions."

Article notes TomTom did better at recognizing addresses than did Navigon's MobileNavigator (though I haven't noticed that as a problem). I think MobileNavigator has some extra features not noted, e.g., 3D and also works on ipad.

Doesn't include the new Garmin app, but they say they'll review later. Early reviews on itunes not good, mostly because it downloads the maps on the fly (and is slow), rather than copying them all to the phone. They like ATT and MapQuest, if you don't mind downloading maps on the fly over cell phone network.

2. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Great stuff thanks, but I thought the strength of Garmin's app was that it downloaded all the maps into the memory and not on the fly. Maybe that was just the American version.

3. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm not sure, just going by comments at the itunes store. However it works, people are commenting that the maps load too slowly.

Probably worth noting that a strike against tomtom in both the article and the user reviews was that the command to turn it completely off is not as readily available as on some other nav apps.