1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

April 2019 plug-in EV sale numbers are in

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Marine Ray, May 1, 2019.

1. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You make valid points and also acknowledge peoples current frustration with shopping for this current technology. I appreciate your balanced view and long range vision. I can remember when hybrids first came out and I thought they were a foolish, reckless experiment. Now I've owned a Prius Hybrid for 10 years that we bought new and couldn't imagine owning a car that didn't average at least 50 mpg and didn't take advantage of Hybrid technology.
    I do think Toyota's position as the acknowledged pioneer and industry leader in this technology has been diminished by their own doing - to my disappointment. I feel other manufactures are doing a better job of making this technology available to their customers in more variety and quantity.

I appreciate your well reasoned explanation above, it make good sense. Thank you .

jmarkd7 likes this.
  2. smyles

smyles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    BMW offers e versions pretty much across entire lineup. Don't sell well either, btw.

3. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    @John321 I suggest you buy one of those, then drive to your local dealer and show him the car he COULD have sold if he had cared to do so. He loses money because he isn't concerned about his customers.

jb in NE likes this.
  4. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I drove my California-purchased Prime to my dealer and told them exactly that.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    GM and Tesla don't report monthly sales, so these are estimates. Which can be close, but we can't rule out being off.
    On top of that, Tesla will use a month in a quarter for shipping out to other markets.
    In other markets some might be serious; Nissan/Renault has sold the most plug ins globally.

Currently, plug ins get a multiplier for CAFE figures. One plug in sold will be counted as 1.x cars; the x varies on whether it is a PHEV or BEV, IIRC 1.6 is the max. Then the value being multiplied can be over 100mpg.

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    How leadership is defined is based upon product life-cycle. Upon the early stages (low volume, high cost), it is a reasonable expectation for a large manufacturer to be a pioneer. But as the product matures (several generations later), the expectation changes. Upon that later stage, it switches (high volume, low cost). Toyota is very much pushing to be the leader in that regard.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the volume is looking excellent compared to last year(y)