1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aptera, Versus Myers Motors

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by hill, Aug 9, 2008.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Aptera,

Aptera

... or Myers

Welcome to Myers Motors : Transform Your Driving. Transform Your World

I don't get it. The myers goes for nearly the same price as the Aptera. Yet the aptera (test mules, granted) will travel over 100 miles and seat 2+1 plus luggage. Also, I'm sure the projected price for the aptera ($27K all electric) is being based off higher sales. It just seems like the Myers ought to sell for a whole lot less. Not that I could ever use a ONE seater as a 2nd means of transportation, but if it WERE less expensive, I might get one anyway ... even though it's less practical.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Myers NMG, formerly Corbin Sparrow, has been plagued by quality and design problems. While the Aptera is not yet available for purchase (and will only be available in CA) they seem to give the impression that they will do a much better job of it.

Of course, the Sparrow/NMG was designed and built with older technology than the Aptera, and as you said, is probably trying to pay off design costs with a smaller volume. The range difference is probably due to the use of older battery technology in the NMG.

And the fact that the NMG is available while the Aptera is not, is an important difference. Like comparing an EV-1 with my Zap Xebra. The EV-1 was a much better car. But you cannot buy one. You can buy a Xebra.

3. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The NMG is ugly as sin!!!
    I know some will consider the Aptera ugly or at least odd, but the NMG OMG!!!

I mean the NMG looks like it has a pair of male genitalia on its chin!
    This is the Goldmember car isn't it?
    [​IMG]
    The Aptera is also much larger. (but not that large)

4. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius is still way more practical.
    - 21k$
    - 8k$ PHEV aftermarket

Versus the Myers at 30K$ barebone

When I moved this summer, I had the Thule full roof rack, and pulling a trailer, fully loaded, and I was still getting 5.6l/100km at 100KPH...that's like 42MPG @ 64MPH.

5. mcwheels

mcwheels Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I purchased a Myers Motors NmG May 18, 2006 and currently have 14,500 miles on it. It is my daily driver for commuting 18 miles to work. I plug in at work (school bus terminal) and have time of use metering at home for 3.8 cent recharge after 7 PM.
    I made my downpayment for the Aptera and hold slot #214 when it comes available.
    I purchased a salvage title 2005 Prius which my wife loves and currently has 48,000 miles on.
    I also own an electric eGo bike which is seldom used, but works well when needed. The folding baskets are a useful addition for carrying groceries.

6. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You profile says your from Wisconsin. I thought that if you did not live in California that they would not let you put down a deposit right now?

As soon as Aptera starts production I will put my deposit down. I'll drive it all the way to Ohio if necessary.

7. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Aggh. Somewhat of a poor comparison. The EV1 WAS available and real. The Xebra is available and real. The EV1 was a better car in all ways, but is not available today. The Aptera has not yet existed out in the wild. A better comparison would be the Volt which has great expectations, but no real-world experience.

I hope this was to be funny. That's not how the NMG's actually look, of course.

[​IMG]

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I am under the impression that actual working prototypes of the Aptera exist. According to GM, they still don't have the batteries for the Volt, so at this point all they have is a body which they say is the body style they will use for the Volt. Are any of that car's innards actual Volt innards?

The Aptera is not yet in production and you cannot buy one, but it exists. The Volt is make-believe, fantasy, just like Dumbo the flying elephant. The Aptera looks like it will be a very good car once it goes into production.

For those reasons I compare the Aptera to the EV-1 (high quality but you can't get one) while the NMG and the Xebra are of limited utility, but available today. And the Volt is comparable to Dumbo: A really nice idea, but you're never going to actually see one.

9. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Daniel -

I can't answer any of your questions. But prototypes still don't impress me. Production vehicles in the hands of owners is the only thing that counts in my book. And in that regard, Both the Aptera and the Volt are in the same category. Neither vehicle yet includes a singing fat lady. The EV1 on the other hand is NOTHING but a huge choir of singing fat ladies!

10. PeakOilGarage

PeakOilGarage Nothing less than 99.9

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    If you have a friend in California, change your credit card billing address to the address of your friend. Then use that address when placing your $500 deposit on the Aptera.

They already have 4,000+ reservations. By the time they actually reach your production number, they will likely have opened up to the rest of the USA and you can switch your delivery address later.

Be the first person in your state (outside of California) to get an Aptera. Make a reservation now.

11. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What?

Commit credit card fraud? :nono:

12. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sadly I have no friends in California. :(

Darelldd will you be my friend in California? Just kidding. I'm just picking on you because you are the first one I seen in this topic that lives on CA. By the time I'm ready to purchase a new car I hope the Aptera will be ready by then or other electric cars will be available with little to no wait.

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I guess I see the existence of an actual working prototype (of the Aptera) as a sign of a greater degree of commitment, than the Volt, where they show us a car body and claim it's the "production" model.

As for the EV-1, GM shot all those fat ladies. But Zap is still cranking out Xebras, and based on what I read on the Xebra group, the 2008 is greatly improved. And the 35-mph version of the Zenn with the AC motor is a really nice little car.

BTW, I think the NMG is really cute, The reason I didn't buy one is its short range. I got the Xebra because it can take a bigger battery pack and go a lot farther.

14. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    not to resurect this old thread, but I see that Myers motors is now talking about producing the "duo" in 2010, a 2 passenger version of the NMG/Sparrow...

Welcome to Myers Motors : Transform Your Driving. Transform Your World

Looks interestng, I wonder what the price will be now, given that there will now be competition from the Nissan Leaf, etc. This would work for my daily 34 mile roundtrip commute, without the need to even plug in in the parking garage at work...

Ah, I answered my own question with further reading on the website, $250 deposit, and the price will be between $25K-$30K depending on the number ordered, exact price to be determined based on # of pre-orders on June 5th, 2010

http://myersmotors.com/preorder.html

15. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Aptera is a far more advanced car then the Myers.

I see Myers has cleansed all of the religious stuff from their website now.

16. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    that might be true, however, I can't buy an Aptera in MA, I can buy a Meyer NMG now (30K), or wait a bit and get the "Duo" for about the same price. One in the hand is worth 2 in the bush :)