1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are all silver emblem remotes MOZB31TG?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jacob04Prius, Jan 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Jacob04Prius

Jacob04Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Recently purchaced 2004 Prius with a silver emblem remote. I need a second remote and want to get the right one, but can't get the cover off to check the part number. Are all silver emblem remotes MOZB31TG?

Follow up question: Aftermarket, OEM, remanufactured? I understand a used remote won't work. Any opinions on particular suppliers?
    Thanks,
    Jacob

2. eternalphoenix64

eternalphoenix64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Strange that they clearly say "self-programming" for locking, unlocking and panic and that those functions will operate just like the original.. Yet, there's no mention that it is able to be fully SKS compatible.....who wants to be the first to try it with the chicken dance? Sounds like you may be paying 80 bucks to have a fob that operates your doors, but maybe nothing else.....someone buy one and prove me wrong so I can buy a few...

4. eternalphoenix64

eternalphoenix64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've been considering it, but I'm not sure if I'll have the car long enough to be worth trying.Trying to sell it.

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Has anyone tried this yet?

I'm in the market for a few new FOBs. Would love to hear some feedback about this "replacement"!!!

There's a handful of reviews on ebay that says the chicken dance works, but I only saw one that specifically mentioned the sks part. Would prefer to hear from a known member, but maybe I'm destined to be the 'trial by fire' guy....

6. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There’s always ACE Hardware for a few bucks more.
    What’s your time worth?

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do you have direct personal experience that ACE stocks the correct "silver logo" SKS fob and that it is fully programmable to match the functions of the OEM? IF so, I would be happy to drive 10 minutes down the road and buy one.

I can say one thing for certain is that their website totally sucks for trying to determine what they have.

8. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’ve been in store and talked to them about it. They usually have one or two people who have been trained to do it for each store. They sell all kinds. ACE at least if it doesn’t work will stand behind it and refund your money. Not worth my time to deal with some guy on eBay. Pretty easy to find a local store.
    I’ve not had need to replace either of mine.

9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Some real life, in person, trying to purchase one about 30 minutes ago feedback...

They do NOT stock the silver logo FOB. It's a 2-3 day delivery. $224 before taxes.

I can order and receive an OEM in the same amount of time for $50 less.

alftoy likes this.
  10. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ok, ladies and gentlemen!!!!!!!!!!

I can tell you, without a doubt, from first-hand experience, this item works with the chicken dance to provide a fully functional SKS enabled FOB. Got it in the mail a few days ago, son brought his car over this evening for a day after Father's Day grill-out and I programmed it in less than 15 minutes, including a couple dry runs through the chicken dance to make sure I was familiar with it. Easy squeezy and now the 2006 344k mile car has a second fob.

I also purchased a Toyota 89751-47010 silver logo back cover, new in the bag from a Toyota dealer on ebay for $18.

for Toyota Prius 2004-2009 Smart Remote Key Fob 3 Button - MOZB31EG 89994-47061 | eBay

SFO and alftoy like this.
  11. lunarkingdom

lunarkingdom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What if mine is not SKS enabled, I have a base model with a generic copy black back no serial or writing of any sort, from what I briefly read is that SKS is the silver back ones where it can sense of you are near the door/trunk/ignition is this true or am I off. Will an SKS enabled one work with one that is not SKS?

12. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    lunarkingdom likes this.
  13. lunarkingdom

lunarkingdom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I do not have the black button on the handle, it is a base model. This is part of the reason I asked as I wanted to buy the cheapest one I can that will work. I need it to unlock the doors and turn on the car, no SKS. I saw a few for around 30 bucks on ebay but mine does not have any numbers on the back so I don't know which ones are compatible and need some help to pick the right one.

14. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I believe this was a compilation of a few different threads/posts. You'll only need to do the non-sks portions.

Chicken Dance with Minor Revisions to Make it More User Friendly, to me at least

PROCEDURE A
    This procedure (steps 1. through 5.) is to be used for both the black and chrome logo key fob.
    This will program the fob to Start/stop engine while it is inserted into the key port.
    All new fobs should be programmed for this regardless of logo or SKS functionality
    (SKS=Ability to drive the car with fob in your purse or pocket, not in the dash slot).

You can copy all of this text onto your clipboard and then paste it into your word processing program to print it out.
    -------------------
    1. Get into the car, close and unlock all doors and ensure the car is off
    2. Insert old fob (your fob that currently works) into slot and remove it 4 times in a row fairly quickly,
    and insert it a fifth time but leave it in there!
    2. Open and close driver door 6 times fairly quickly.
    3. Remove old fob from slot. You hope that car is in programming mode at this point,
    which will be indicated by the red car-shaped dash light staying on and not blinking.

A. If red dash light is NOT on solid: you failed to get into programming mode.
    Go back to step 1 and try the procedure at a different pace (faster or slower)

B. If light is on solid, proceed to step 4.

4. Insert new fob and leave in the slot. Watch the blinking red anti-theft light on the dashboard.
    When it stops flashing and goes dark, your new fob is all set. This may take up to a full minute.
    5. Remove the new fob and you're done with the START/STOP portion of programming
    (if you have SKS, proceed to PROCEDURE B don't have SKS, proceed to PROCEDURE C).

PROCEDURE B
    This procedure (steps 1. through 10.) is for chrome logo key fobs and vehicles with SKS functionality
    Lock/unlock doors remotely + SMART KEY functionality
    --------------------

1. Open the driver door and leave it open with no fob in slot (ensure the driver door is unlocked).
    Other doors can be locked or unlocked, it doesn't matter.
    Complete step 2 within 5 seconds

2. Insert old fob into slot and remove it twice.
    Complete steps 3. and 4. within 40 seconds of completing step 2.

3. Close and open driver door twice.

4. Insert and remove old fob once.
    Complete steps 5., 6., 7. and 8. within 40 seconds of completing step 4.

5. Close and open driver door twice again.

6. Insert old fob in slot and close door.

7. Without pressing the brake, press power button, wait a second, press it again, wait a second,
    press it a third time to turn car back off.

8. Remove old fob from slot. You'll be in "add mode" at this point. Within 3 seconds, the car should lock
    and unlock doors to verify it is in add mode. (the precise number of times the car locks/unlocks the door
    is model specific - but it should do it at least once). If it does not cycle the locks, return to step 1.
    otherwise proceed to step 9.

Steps 9.a. and 9.b. should be started within 40 seconds of completing step 8.

9a: Press and hold the Lock and Unlock key (simultaneously) on the OLD/MASTER fob.
    (a couple of seconds should pass and the locks will cycle once. If you do not get this cycle, it is likely
    due to a weak CR 2032 battery in your fob. Replace the battery in your old fob and try again).

9b: Press both the Lock and Unlock key (simultaneously) on the NEW fob. Hold for about 1.5 seconds then immediately
    (within 3 seconds)..

9c: press the lock key on the NEW fob. If successful the lock/unlock will cycle once indicating success
    (It may take a while for the lock/unlock cycle. I've seen it happen just as I was ready to say, "well, it didn't work".
    If you wait for a long time (a long time being more than a minute) and get no cycle at all, complete step 10.
    and test to see if the SKS functions of your new fob work. Remember to put old fob outside the car or else test
    of whether new smart key can start the car without being in slot in dash would be meaningless).

Several users have reported it being necessary to execute 9b step twice before doing 9c, but most do not find this to be true.
    If your first go-around does not succeed , try it again and execute step 9b twice then 9c. You may be able to just do it
    over from 9a onward if your car is still in “add” mode, rather than going all the way back to step 1 of Part B.

9d. - If you need or want to program another "new" fob, repeat steps 9. a. 9.b. and 9.c. for the next new fob.
    If done programming fobs, proceed to step 10.

10. To end this programming, open then close the driver's door.

To test whether you have successfully programmed SKS mode, put the old fob outside the car and close the door,
    then try to start the car without putting the fob in the slot.

PROCEDURE C
    This procedure (steps 1. through 13.) is for black logo key fobs and vehicles without SKS functionality

1. Open the driver door with no fob in slot and the doors unlocked.
    2. Insert old fob into slot and remove it twice within 5 seconds.
    3. Close and open driver door twice.
    4. Insert and remove old fob once.
    5. Close and open driver door twice again.
    6. Insert old fob in slot and close door.
    7. Without pressing the brake, press power button, wait a second, press it again, wait a second, press it a third time
    to turn car back off.
    8. Remove old fob from slot. You'll be in "add mode" at this point.
    9. Car should lock and unlock doors twice to verify it is in add mode.
    10. Press and hold both buttons on new fob simultaneously for a second and a half.
    11. Within 3 seconds, press just the lock button on new fob.
    12. Car should respond with one quick lock/unlock to verify that the new fob is all set. If the car responds with two
    lock/unlocks, that means it didn't work. Either try again, your fob is bad or, you have too many fobs assigned to the car.
    13. To end this programming, open then close the driver's door or put fob in the slot.

Here are the part #'s for the fobs:
    OEM Fob Part # for smart access is 89994-47061
    OEM Fob Part # for non-smart access is 89070-47180.

PS: Practice these steps first (dry run).

lunarkingdom likes this.