1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are BEVs Taking Risks to Show Longer Range?

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by giora, Nov 19, 2016.

1. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking on EPA scores of recently added BEVs and calculating % usable capacities from this data I found:
    BMW i3 94AH: Usable capacity >84% of total
    Hyundai Ioniq Electric: Usable capacity >93% of total !

See attachment for details.

Could it be that manufacturers are taking increased risks these days to show longer range?
    Could it be some manufacturers are 'widening the window' of usable capacity just for the tests?? No, this will be cheating.

Attached Files:

#1 giora, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There are different LiON chemistries and battery management systems.

Bob Wilson

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "some" is your operative word. If your warranty meets your threshold of risk? you're good. If you want a huge battery buffer? You can get that too. We got choices.

4. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    If you ask me...I would like my battery to last longer than the warranty period. What about you?

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There you go. Threshold of risk.

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    One day after my death.

Bob Wilson

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm a warranty guy, more interested in degradation during the life of the warranty. that being said, i would prefer a bev with enough range that i'm not constantly running it down to zero.

Trollbait and bwilson4web like this.
  8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Which is the prudent way to look at BEV ranges.

There is also the issue of whether the manufacturer is quoting the packs total capacity, or just what the usable portion is.

bisco likes this.
  9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How far is the liquor store where you buy your rot-gut ....

bisco likes this.
  10. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Same calculation for Chevrolet Bold yields usable capacity of ~95.5% of total quoted.
    I doubt that all manufacturers discovered suddenly the magic Lion chemistry that allows this kind of repeated charging cycles without major impact on time and use performance.
    Threshold of risk for the owner? Yes, when you know more on risk you are taking. It is called calculated risk.
    Maybe manufacturers have decided all of a sudden to only state usable capacity hiding the total battery capacity, maybe, but unlikely IMO.
    True, a BEV driver will almost never run the car to zero range. Are manufacturers counting on this?
    The name of the game is range. Maybe manufacturers are pushing the envelope too far?
    Increased battery degradation in time and use and possible premature failures can badly hurt plug-ins reputation.

#10 giora, Nov 20, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wegmans, 14 miles round trip, black box cabernet, 3 litres, $16.:sick:

Bluegrassman likes this.
  12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is one of the reasons I am benchmarking our BMW i3-REX: Why the BMW i3-REx | Page 16 | PriusChat

Too often I've read automotive press reports that give the rated traction battery capacity instead of the usable capacity and poorly sourced metrics. The window sticker EPA numbers are usable but too often lack details embedded in other, later sources that only an engineer would love. Places that led me to generating these charts BEFORE buying our BMW i3-REX:
    [​IMG]
    Confirmed with:
    [​IMG]
    I have not found similar charts although the data is embedded in the EPA benchmarks.
    I have read reports of hot-climate, Leaf owners reporting issues with battery life. But we also had a Gen-1 bought in 2005 and confirmed the mechanisms for Prius NiMH battery degradation in heat and recovery approaches. Owners are the ultimate, last, integration and test team but we need technical ones to do the heavy lifting and figure out how these things really work 'in the field.'

If our owner's manual had the same sort of performance charts found in every light aircraft, I would be perfectly happy. Instead we get data points, better than nothing, but not the type of details needed to really know the car performance.

So let us say there is a standard way to measure the traction battery, usable capacity, from 0%-100% in the usable range. But to run the test stresses the battery taking 0.1% of the remaining capacity (i.e., 1,000 tests leave an unusable battery) and $250 per test, who would elect to run this test over some schedule to track their battery degradation?

Right now, I don't know of a non-destruct, traction battery test that lay people can run. There may be something built-in to cars that I don't own. There may be ways of measuring internal battery resistance (the Gen-1 and Gen-3 Prius do) that can help BUT we know it is not predictive of a failure.

Don't be discouraged but step back from the problem and propose a test, a way that lay people can measure the current traction battery capacity of their ride. In our Gen-1 Prius days, the lay approach was to climb a tall hill in reverse. The altitude reached can be converted into kWh, a traction battery metric.

Bob Wilson

ps. I hate discussing problems that morph into a business plan.

#12 bwilson4web, Nov 20, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Most 'notable' when it comes to traction packs' total versus usable percentage is Tesla's latest 75kWh model S. It's available as a 60kWh that simply widens the unusable portion. You loose ~ 40 miles range, but the benefits are multi faceted. You (at least potentially) greater longevity via smaller use of just the middle, AND, my favorite - the larger unusable portion means no supercharger throttle-back as it approaches its limited 60kWh fill. And it still has a 220+ range epa. ymmv. Sweet!

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it cheaper for tesla to do it that way?

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I suppose they think the buyers will eventually get an over the air update to release use to the full 75kEh pack. But they charge $5K less for the 60kWh configuration. I should have mentioned that that's another positive aspect.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when you say 'eventually get, do you mean pay for? is 220+ miles less than the bolt?

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's probably about the same, but of course the bolt won't be able to do 0 to 60 in 4 seconds or less

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    true, but if sports car enthusiasts are the only people willing to commit to ev, we're in a world of hurt. don't let your personal desires impede progress.

19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It begs the question: if you ask to to back down to 75kWh, can you get a $5k refund? <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

#19 bwilson4web, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  20. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Somewhat.
    This is one less battery pack size Tesla has to manufacture.
    It streamlines the production lines and simplifies the logistics.

There are also a number of people who are simply hesitant. All the numbers may tell them 220 miles will be sufficient, but the ability to get an over the air software upgrade to increase the range can be reassuring.

To the original question, we have seen no signs of manufactures taking undue risks.

GM, for example, was incredibly conservative with the Volt's battery pack. They only allowed about 2/3rds of the pack to be used.
    As they learned, they increased the amount of the pack that could be used.

Combine that learning over billions of electric miles with improvements in battery chemistry and battery management systems and manufacturers are getting more comfortable using more and more of the battery packs.

As for strain on the battery packs, the Volt owners I know have seen no range degradation.
    The rate of loss in Teslas have been low, and have not increased over time.
    And Leafs have had the exact opposite experience. The first ones had horrendously bad degradation. Nissan learned and improved their battery chemistry as well as management (although still passive) and their battery degradation issues have improved remarkedly.

So no, I don't think manufactures are taking any risks beyond those normally taken introducing new technology into the market.

Trollbait likes this.