1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are Ford and GM actually that sleazy?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by GreenGuy33, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Jabber

Jabber Chicagoland Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it is shameful that GM would pull this stunt. Especially after Toyota came out and backed GM after they went bankrupt. However, I would wait until... say... March 2nd... to see if Toyota does something in return. I say March because Toyota wants to get all of the recalls done and over with. Not that I could have some insider info or anything.....

2. F512M

F512M Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not surprised to see this in the automotive world. I believe they will short live this surge in business when Toyota addresses all the recalls.

3. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm actually VERY impressed with the way Toyota's handling the whole issue. Kudos to them. Could you imagine GM or Ford recalling 4.X million vehicles to replace something like a gas pedal and them being able to do it in a month's time??? And, there haven't been any deaths or serious accidents from this sticking gas pedal (floormat is a separate issue/recall) that I've been made aware of- so I wonder if Ford or GM would even HAVE the recall- let alone take only a month to get everthing fixed.

My hunch is Ford or GM would probably say something like: "Oh, that's just the way our cars handle, get used to it"...or..."That's the way the prior generation of the car drove- you newbies just can't drive"...or..."It's just a sensation and a phenomena of how the system works and not a safety issue, you just have to learn to adjust to it"...Golly, where have I heard that kind of talk before???? ;)

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Actually, Ford took close to 2 years to recall all of the Ford Explorers and Rangers with the Firestone tires. First they limited the recall to certain size tires from a certain factory. Later they realized that all of the tires were potentially hazardous no matter what size and recalled all of them.

Ford currently has a safety recall for the SCDS (secondary cruise control deactivation switch) because they eventually leak brake fluid, get hot and can set the vehicle on fire. They used this switch on both cars and trucks for several years. Again it is taking them years to recall all of the affected vehicles because they initially tried to limit the recall to certain model years and excluded other model years. And, again they had to widen the recall later to all of the vehicles.

I don't know as much about GM recalls, but I remember reading about some pretty heinous defects back in the late 80's with GM trucks. Something about the lower control arm failing without warning on a few million trucks and vans.

5. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2004-2005 Chevrolet Aveo/Pontiac Wave

Transport Canada Recall # 2007275

On certain vehicles, the engine throttle may stick in the open position due to throttle body icing in temperatures near or below -20 degrees Celsius. If the throttle sticks open while the vehicle is moving, a crash could occur without prior warning. The vehicle may experience this condition even if one or both of the previous two campaign services have been performed. See recall 2005235 (GM 05521) & 2006239 (GM 06515). Correction: Dealers will replace the PCV and throttle body systems.

Unfortunately, esp. after GM left Toyota hanging when it cuts its alliance in the NUMMI deal. Now UAW is blaming Toyota for closing it down (did you really expect Toyota to shoulder GM's part of the cost?).

However, if you think about it, it is pretty smart marketing (since Toyota will have to fix all vehicles regardless of who owns them). People may be stupid and want to get rid of it no matter what the cost. They keep the Toyotas, get them fixed, then sell them back at their normal resale value once this blows over.