1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are kids worth having?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jared2, Mar 31, 2006.

1. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We tried for 2 yrs to have a child with negitive results.. :(
    We finally decided not to have children & now have 4 dogs.. lol :D
    1. miniture dashund
    1. standard dashund
    1. boxer
    1. greman sheperd

They provide unconditional love, they dont talk back & an added bonus, I do not have to worry about who they are haging out with, college tuitions, Buying cars, clothes, ect. for them..

So since our decision we now live comfortably and can afford to take trips 3 times a year :)

2. jeneric

jeneric New Member

If you have to ask, then NO.

3. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends what you're serving them with.

4. jeneric

jeneric New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ Mar 31 2006, 01:25 PM) [snapback]233112[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds kind of entertaining.

5. jeneric

jeneric New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeneric @ Mar 31 2006, 05:09 PM) [snapback]233191[/snapback]</div>
    Although one picture emailed to you at work from Gramma's house covers a lot of the sleepless nights.
    [​IMG]

I guess it is pretty related to "Is a hybrid worth it?"

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i have to agree with darrelldd... my son was born when i was 38 and he is the only thing that has happened to me that is better than my Prius

7. SirGreen

SirGreen New Member

My wife and I would not trade our kids for all the Prius and all the gas in the world.

8. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SirGreen @ Mar 31 2006, 10:10 PM) [snapback]233234[/snapback]</div>
    What about your wife?

9. SirGreen

SirGreen New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Mar 31 2006, 10:11 PM) [snapback]233237[/snapback]</div>
    My wife loves God even more then she loves me.

10. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I think the most likely way to improve this world is through children, taught and raised with the beliefs you have.

I think the most likely way to destroy this world is through children, taught and raised with the beliefs you have.

I, for one, think my three are a net positive force.

It is the responsibility of any person who feels he has the right attitude to save our society to have and raise as many children as they can.

Teach..your children well (there is an old song there somewhere)

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Schmika knows crosby stills nash & young? cool

you who are on the road
    must have a code that you can live by
    and so become yourself
    because the past is just a good bye
    teach your chidren well
    their father's hell did slowly go by
    and feed them on your dreams
    the one they picks, the one you'll know by
    don't you ever ask them why, if they told you, you will cry
    so just look at them and sigh
    and know they love you

and you, of tender years
    can't know the fears that your elders grew by
    and so please help them with your youth
    they seek the truth before they can die

teach your parents well
    their children's hell will slowly go by
    and feed them on your dreams
    the one they picks, the one you'll know by

don't you ever ask them why, if they told you, you will cry
    so just look at them and sigh and know they love you

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Mar 31 2006, 10:29 PM) [snapback]233249[/snapback]</div>
    Good point. Teaching our children to be just like us doesn't seem to be working so far, does it? In my own wickedly subversive way, I've taught my kids to think for themselves. The world will never be the same. :)

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Mar 31 2006, 07:11 PM) [snapback]233237[/snapback]</div>
    what wife?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Mar 31 2006, 08:51 PM) [snapback]233290[/snapback]</div>

13. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's 6.5 billion and DOUBLING every fifty years. Know what
    exponential curves look like? Couple that with peak oil here now
    but swept under the rug by rampant shortsightedness at the highest
    levels, and it's a very scary picture for humanity. The Chinese
    are about the only country that's got the right idea.
    _H*

14. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In a heart beat I would give my life for my daughter. Never felt that way about anything else. So yeah, their worth having.

15. kpauley

kpauley New Member

Yea, my wife and I are DINKS (Dual Income No Kids). As others had mentioned, it's a personal choice. There are pros and cons for going either way, having children and not having children can both be very fullfilling lifestyle choices when made correctly. The problem is that a lot of people don't think about it and end up bringing children into really horrible situations which is not fair to either the parent or the child.

We just found a pro for no children the other day. We visited a laywer to talk about trusts / wills. If there are no children involved, it is a much simpler process to set things up, which equals cheaper :)

There are a lot of DINK sites out there by the way, here's one (Dual Income No Children.com)

16. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Parenting involves a serious amount of maturity on the part of both parents.

soapbox on.

I was the second of six children my parents had. I am of the opinion they didn't think things through before they decided to have their 3rd-6th children, as our quality of life was not what I would call affluent. Two kids were manageable, but having four more put a great burden on them financially and emotionally. Each child they had took that much away from the children that were already born. I've been out of high school for over ten years now and my youngest brother would have graduated this summer, had he not dropped out (recurring theme). Two of the 6 dropped out, none of the six have college degrees, three of the six have spent time in jail, at least 2 of the six have serious mental illness problems.

I harbor great internal turmoil over the rights of people to have children, because of what I experienced growing up. For people who have children and have no means of giving them every chance for success, shame on them. I believe it's every parent's obligation to give their kids that maximum opportunity for achievement. I knew from early on I would never be able to afford some important things....nutritious food, regular medical checkups (I didn't know I had poor vision until I was 18!), and the opportunity for higher learning.

For those of you who choose not to have children, I respect you tremendously. For those of you who do have children and work your butts off to give them the best life you can, I applaud you.

/soapbox

17. hybridTHEvibe

hybridTHEvibe New Member

Can someone explain to me how not wanting to have kids makes a person selfish?

18. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Apr 1 2006, 01:58 AM) [snapback]233295[/snapback]</div>

The SKY is falling, the SKY is falling.

The end is near...REPENT!!!!!!!

Sheesh....get off it.

19. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

20. imntacrook

imntacrook New Member

It is a personal choice but I totally agree with darreldd - you do not know what love is until you have your own. It is a difficult thing to raise kids, they give you tons of heartbreak at times but overall its a fabulous experience to see them grow and develop.

Money has nothing to do with it either. My parents split when I was two, after that my brother, sister and I were raised by a young couple who were not supposed to be able to have any of their own. We were dirt poor, but my dad was great with kids and I always thought we were rich!

Personally I think they are more than worth having, but I also think there are many who never should have been parents my heart goes out to kids raised by uncaring people.