Are people really getting 40+ MPG in Gen 2?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by timmyjane, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Kaptainkid1

Kaptainkid1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I finally got a baseline of 44 mpg on my 2009 Prius after 6 months of ownership, she has 170k now with original Hybrid battery. I tested the battery with Torque app and confirmed the battery 28 packs were in good to above avg condition. I drove the in stop and go traffic of Los Angeles with a roof rack for over 6 months and really couldn't get above 34 mpg at best. I was seeing average tank around 30mpg for 10x fill ups. Even though I changed my PVC valve, engine Oil, Tranny Oil(OEM ONLY), New tires, Spark plugs, checked starter 12v battery in trunk, everything checked out ok. So one of the changes which made some difference was installing a Oil Catch can from the engine PVC valve to the throttle body. I noticed oil droplets at the bottom of the throttle body, so a cheap mod and $30 dollars for part and free installation, she was running a little cleaner. I noticed after taking a 200 mile trip to San Diego the oil catch can made a huge difference to my highway MPG. I was getting 40mpg now with the AC on. Just after 3000 miles the oil catch can was 1/6 QT full of oil. I've read the oil catch can works best when the engine is on and above 3500 rpm, which means people who do a lot of highway driving and above 55 mph will see the most benefit from this mod. It's seem the engine produces more oil vapors at high RPM's and is sucked down into the throttle body. Honestly, if I'm cutting the oil burning and keeping the environment a little cleaner, its all worth it.

That got me to thinking the few droplets made an impact to my poor gas mileage, because my other long road trips I was seeing 35-37mpg with AC on at best. So I noticed my city driving I was still getting around 30-33mpg with the AC running all the time. So I decided to run a baseline test with a full gas tank and drove my tank empty today after 370 miles and two weeks of driving without the AC in LA traffic was insane. 90 degree days and stop and go madness and hypermiling when ever possible. I was able to achieve 44 mpg wow. I was excited at best now I know my Prius can get the average miles other Prius we're getting. So I now know it's all about the AC, Hypermiling and keeping up with maintenance.
    Special note: All MPG number we're done manually, I noticed Prius Dash showed me different MPG average number. It read 40.1 even though I put in 8.4 gallons of gas got 370 miles. So it's best to keep track manually when coming up with my baseline.

Here is my oil catch can set up:
    [​IMG]

Here is the oil after 2000 miles of driving:
    [​IMG]

Here is the oil droplets in the throttle body before oil catch can:
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture after running the oil catch can 2000 miles:
    [​IMG]

#261 Kaptainkid1, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    dpower and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done (y)

3. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    IMG_0094.jpg

Pulled into my local refuelling station 18th August with my fuel depletion warning light flashing. I’d managed 623 miles on 44.1 litres of fuel (the amount I put back in) and with 64.5mpg (UK) on the MFD.
    That’s 53.7mpg US.
    Was mighty pleased.

The hot spell of weather in London had a lot to do with that no doubt, and all miles were from my daily commute - no motorway driving

iPhone 6s +

jerrymildred and dolj like this.
  4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    64.5 MPG (UK) is 4.4 L/100 km and your actual 44.1 L/1002.62 km works out to be 4.398 L/100 km. In imperial: 623 miles used 9.7 Imp gals = 64.2 MPG (UK).

So, your indicated is very close to spot on.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  5. Zeppo Shanski

Zeppo Shanski Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    After reading this last nite I checked today. I've still got 2 pips so I won't be getting a fill up for a coupla more days. My last reading was 52.1 mpg as of earlier this evening.

2005 Gen2 Prius ... +/- 148,000 clicks.

IMG_0664.JPG

Data Daedalus likes this.
  6. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for calculating that, dolj

Highly appreciated.

iPhone 6s +