1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are people really getting 40+ MPG in Gen 2?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by timmyjane, Apr 12, 2017.

1. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, you did check the SOC correctly and with a forced charge as you did it in car, you can only charge to ~80%. That's the way it is designed.

That is why you need and external charger to do 80-100% and then a slow balance charge at a low current for some 6-20 hrs. You will also need to use an external charger if you discharge the battery below 40% as the car will not function to do a forced charge if it is below 40%.

2. Xavier75

Xavier75 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was getting about 51 mpg on my Gen 2 driving about 54 miles round trip to work. 80% highway 20 percent city. It has 124k miles on it. I upgraded to a Gen 3 about a month ago and I am surprised that I'm only getting about 50 mpg with same driving habits. I thought I was going to get better mileage with Gen 3.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Winter temp has negative impact on MPG as the engine runs more from a cold start and the battery is less efficient. That's really with any car rather Hybrid, or conventional as you are burning more fuel. Depending on how you drive, age of the battery, tire pressure and the condition of your engine are all factors that effect MPGs. I have a 2009 Prius with 173,797 miles on it and get 48-52 MPGs. I just recently had a Spark Knock issue that I just gotten rid of myself by changing the spark plugs out that the 2nd owner never changed since the car was made and added some fuel cleaner due to carbon deposit build up from all that mileage driven from the previous owner. Thing runs like a clock and keeps chugging along. I seem to get 51.1 MPG hwy consistently. I live in the Midwest since that is probably the reason why I can get 50 MPG as well.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  4. biglew8

biglew8 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am happy to say that my 2005 Prius is now getting about 43-45 mpg average. This is after getting a few things done on it after purchasing it from the original owner with about 169,990 miles (oil change, throttle body cleaning, new rear brakes, brake flush, transaxle fluid drain and refill, new pcv valve, and increasing tire pressure to 38/36). The weather is still around mid 50s and hasn't really warmed up too much. I am also not hypermilling. I do see on Fuelly that the average for 2005 Prius is around 43 mpg. I am hoping that it can increase a little after I recondition the hybrid battery.

5. timmyjane

timmyjane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think I'm stuck at 37mpg. I sure wish I could figure out how to get in the upper 40s. Its odd how some cars just seem to get better mileage. I've done all I know to do without taking the car to a shop to see if something is not quite right.

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One last thing to try, if you have a scan tool that allows you monitor live data, have a look at the engine coolant temperature sensor. See if that is reporting temperatures that are consistent with the stage of the engine warm up. Start the test with a completely cold engine. The initial temp reading should be close to the outside ambient temperature as reported on the MAF or the OAT sensor in your scan tool.

If you don't have a scan tool, or can't get access to one, and if the price of a new OEM engine coolant temperature sensor is not too expensive, just go ahead and change it and then see what happens.

Manufacturer: Toyota
    Part Number: 89422-33030
    Part: Coolant Temp Sensor
    List Price: $71.43
    Sale Price: $53.68

#66 dolj, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
  7. timmyjane

timmyjane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. Ill look into it. Havent checked that.

#67 timmyjane, May 10, 2017
  8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    #68 jerrymildred, May 10, 2017
  9. timmyjane

timmyjane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, I read the article. My car seems to follow this path. Ill hook up the computer to verify.

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :) That must be why my original reply got all weird on me. We were interrupting each other. Hope your research leads to a solution.

11. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    High speeds kill MPG, our G2 will get over 50 MPG at speeds in the 30-45 mph range and that sinks into the low 40s at 75 mph. These cars were designed primarily for commuters in urban traffic and that is where MPG will typically be highest.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But even at highway speed, these cars still beat everything else available in the North American market at that time, except the smaller Honda Insight.

gta_, Data Daedalus and jerrymildred like this.
  13. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Exactly! When we took my wife's '05 on a 4,000+ mile trip a couple years ago, we averaged 49 mpg. About 75% of those miles were on interstate highways at around 70 mph. Not many cars can do that. And that was an old G2! I can't wait to try that in the PiP. And a G4 or Prime is totally amazing.

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sil-Glyde Brake Lubricant is good aftermarket lubricant for pins. For points of contact between pad backs, shims and caliper Permatex Anti-Seize compound is good aftermarket product.

Use Toyota ATF WS fluid for the transaxle. Correct level is achieved by filling till it starts coming back out, with the car level.

Both transaxle and coolant mentioned above are Owner's Manual recommendations.

For the Coolant circuits (there are two: Engine and Inverter) Toyota Super Long Life Coolant would be safest. I believe coolant changes on 2nd gen Prius are pretty tricky? I wouldn't just jump in, research first, here and elsewhere.

15. jm98

jm98 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    My 2006 was getting 47 MPG before getting refurb. HV battery replacement. Now its down to 44MPG.

Data Daedalus and Mendel Leisk like this.
  16. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The last tank of fuel on my 2008 Prius Tspirit here in the UK, gave me a not inconsiderate 51+ MPG. I presently have 51.2 MPG on my MFD. This are all mostly commuting figures (with a bit of weekend leisure driving) from in and around London. A/C (a.k.a. Life Support) is always in use when the sun is out and the cabin heats up. I'm no slouch / slug / snail on the road. I combine hypermiling techniques with moving quickly, so other road users are more likely to see me streak away from the lights to the speed limit, choose my lane and then kick in Cruise Control and stay there. I don't hold traffic up either.

I've had this vehicle for about 4 years, and I'm still impressed at what it is capable of. I'm also happy that it continues to save me a ton of cash in fuel bills - the main reason why I bought it in the first place

iPhone ?

bisco likes this.
  17. HOWARD B PRICE

HOWARD B PRICE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I get 48-52 most of the time. Better on the road. It goes down for me in the summer when I use air. I never use heater as Las Vegas is never that cold. That may be an advantage. I have 117m miles.

18. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Consistent warm weather has an up side and a possible down side. The up side is you'll get noticeably better fuel economy than someone in a temperate or colder climate. The possible down side is a higher risk of heat-related stress on the hybrid battery.

19. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    By the way, those are MPG figures converted to US Format. It's actually 60+ MPG in U.K. figures

iPhone ?

20. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for clarifying. I kind of figured that was what you meant since 51 UK isn't all that impressive for a Prius. :D