Are people really getting 40+ MPG in Gen 2?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by timmyjane, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Derek Lee

Derek Lee New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I just bought a 2007 and averaged 47 MPG on a full tank.

2. timmyjane

timmyjane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow. All these numbers are impressive. I use my car for work and sometimes let it idle while I'm working so I expect that my mileage would be slightly lower than some but I'm guessing my battery must be going bad or something similar. For the month of May I got 36.7, 35.9, 36.3, 38.9, 33.8 and 34.9. First fill up in June was 32.1. Pretty sure I'm not burning 10mpg by idling sometimes. I sure wish someone local had the battery refurb charger...

3. Moving Right Along

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you've got air conditioning on while you idle for longer amounts of time, that can be taking your fuel economy down.

4. timmyjane

timmyjane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes sir. I am using AC however my car has a history of this type of poor performance. I suspect the battery at this point.

5. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As an experiment in the U.K., I've been running my A/C quite heavily in the afternoons during my commute home (in 27c of heat).

A/C is set to 17c, recirculate, upper vents only (no, not the windscreen defogger setting). Fan speed is on "2".

I started off with 62.8mpg (UK) before my experiment began; I had 61.8mpg (UK) after commuting 2 days at the above settings in the afternoon. There was some unusual traffic congestion involved too - the type that depletes your HV pack, causing your vehicle to start charging the HV pack while you briefly crawl along at 10mpg in the traffic congestion.
    And yes, I did leave my A/C running throughout my afternoon commute, traffic congestion or not.

Another short journey from cold last night (6 miles) reduced that to 61.3mpg (no A/C used).

Yes, the A/C does have some effect on MPG, but not THAT much (with the manual configuration settings I described), IMHO.

iPhone ?

6. Moving Right Along

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When you started, you had 62.8 UK MPG over what distance when you started the experiment?

I've noticed that if I'm sitting in traffic for 30-40 minutes to go 2-3 miles with my air conditioner running, my average fuel economy during that time is below 10 MPG.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  7. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Filled up with a full tank, and after about 100 miles had 62.8 MPG (UK). Then started using the A/C with a vengeance and over the next 72 miles, it dropped from 62.8 MPG to 61.8 MPG.

Note: the A/C was in use for only 34 of those 72 miles. It was cool in the morning (12c to 14c), so didn't need the A/C. It was 27c and upwards in the afternoon, so after driving the first mile with all windows down, to purge the vehicle's cabin of all excess "green house" heat (didn't do the mpg any favours either, but I was only going 30mph), I then turn on "life support", as I merge with a major ring road at 50mph, close all windows, deploy front solar shielding, and cruise home in air conditioned comfort.

Total bliss - worth the MPG drop

* I'll keep you posted on further MPG readings with A/C. Short journey again last night (to pick daughter from Train Station) and it's down to 61.2 - and yes, A/C was used; it was 23c at midnight...!!!

iPhone ?

Moving Right Along likes this.