1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are Prius owners just like Mac users?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Dave Munger, Sep 19, 2008.

1. izza2me

izza2me Grateful Senior

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Santiago, you have a 2009 Prius? Wow I bought my 08 in March Red # 6. Then My wife buys me a new MacBook. I have 3 other PCs. Win 98 XP VISTA. Between the Prius Nav GPS and the Mac my eyes are crossing. I did not know there was a web page macrumors.com. Thanks :clap2:

2. Santiago

Santiago New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
  3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just took the survey. I'm impressed that they didn't ask for any personal information (email, mailing address, etc.)

I think there are a lot of similarities between the products, but now that the Prius has moved into the mainstream, and all the more so as gas prices rise, I think a large and growing number of Prius owners are just looking for reliable, economical transportation. PriusChat members are not a representative cross-section of Prius owners, because we are only that sub-set that wants to learn more about our car and is interested in the technical aspects. I'd guess that most Prius owners just want it to be a car that burns less gas.

Product similarities: Quality, technical sophistication, and both are competing against majority crap: the majority of cars on the road are crap (unreliable, polluting gas-hogs) and the majority OS (Windows) is crap.

I own a Prius (though I mostly drive my Xebra) and an iMac.

I suspect that by and large, Mac users are more sophisticated than the majority of Windows users (who buy it just because it's the majority OS) whereas I believe that most Prius owners today see it as just another car, but one that burns less gas. Prius owners therefore, IMO are not "just like Mac owners," though there are some similarities among the more vocal individuals.

I do not worship Steve Jobs. I think he builds a quality product. And I appreciate and respect that. But if Linux had been ready for the average home user when I bought my Mac, I'd just have wiped the HD on my PC and put Linux on it. I do have Linux (Linspire) on my laptop, but I never use the laptop now that the Nokia N800 (also running Linux) is my travel computer.

4. Dave Munger

Dave Munger New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Okay, the results are up:

Prius owners: Just like Mac users but less attractive?

The headline was mainly there to grab attention, but it's at least partly true, based on self-ratings. Other findings of interest: Prius owners spend more on their cars, are just as likely to have iPhones, and spend less on coffee than Mac owners.

5. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Fun survey, thanks for posting the results.