1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are Sportbikes ( Motorcycles ) Dangerous?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ray66, Aug 19, 2010.

1. naid

naid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Started riding a year ago, went from a Ninja 500R to a CBR600 F4i to an SV650S... ~7k miles, 1 track day, no accidents (knock on wood).

I would suggest riding well within your limits on a bike you are comfortable with. You can learn new things on the street without going into triple digits. Also, ATGATT (all the gear, all the time) - no matter if you're going 2 miles away or 200. Accidents happen and sometimes you can't do much to prevent one, so better be prepared.

Also, I'd always go with a smaller bike if given a choice. Lighter and less powerful = easier to control = you learn faster.

2. priusevo

priusevo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an old Gixxer(93) and an Evo IX with mods on corn and i must say I enjoy my Evo far more :rockon:

3. moshe_levy

moshe_levy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Motorcycles are the antithesis of a "transportation appliance" like the Prius, where beyond staring at the fuel economy graph there is basically no driver involvement. In fact, I'd venture to say most cars under $50k fall into this category. People get in, start driving, and zone out - because you can get away with that in a car.

On a motorcycle, on the other hand, one mistake can cause you some serious problems. Not just your mistake, but someone else's - you lose, no matter whose "fault" it is. That fact keeps you on your toes, in the moment, all the time. That means you're focused, paying attention, and constantly engaged with what you and the vehicle are doing. That also means your mind is not concerned with 20 other things while you drive, as in a car. There are nowhere near as many barriers in the connection between man (and woman) and machine as with a car - especially a transportation appliance.

This raw, free connection is why riding a motorcycle is like moving meditation - an experience which very few (if any) cars can ever come close to feeling half as good. To paraphrase Mr. Pirsig, driving a car is like watching a movie, and riding a motorcycle is like being IN the movie. Go for it!

-MKL

2008 Prius Touring #6
    2009 BMW R1200RT
    1996 BMW R850R
    1977 BMW R100S
    1973 BMW R75/5

4. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes.

-Brad

5. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ...and here I was thinking that I was the only Evo(IX) owner around here.