1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are sunroofs on a 2012 Prius Three really that rare?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by djsandman, Mar 9, 2012.

1. djsandman

djsandman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had originally signed to get a 2012 Prius III with a Sunroof in the winter grey metallic cover. They said it would take a minimal of 30 days to maybe even 90 days or more to get one. About 2 weeks later into my waiting period and I'm thinking it will be a longer wait than a shorter one.

When I look at the South East Toyota inventory I see 287 Prius Three models. Of those only 25 have sunroofs. Of those 25, only 2 are winter grey.

So I have actually already decided to go without the sunroof, and pick the more popular Blizzard Pearl (my #2 color choice) and get the car sooner. I will actually get this car within the month since it's already coming to this dealer.

So my question is, are sunroofs on a III model really that rare? Same with the color choice too I guess. I wouldn't imagine winter grey to be a low production color but it seems to be one.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know the numbers.
    I would guess availability might vary greatly regionally.

I think the problem is Toyota is of course going to strive to build as closely as possible to meet demand. It's not just a Sunroof....its the entire solar package. So when you talk about a 3 with sunroof, it also includes the production addition of solar panels and other upgrades.

I don't know. Honestly? My opinion is get what you want. I would wait, or expand my search parameters. But 30-90 days?

My fear is if you start out with a compromise as to what you are accepting vs. What you really wanted, that just eats at you.

Maybe you just need to more agressively expand your search?

I would think Winter Grey III's with Solar Package are unique and "rarer" but they shouldn't be unobtainable.

Of course? I have an Anne Rice, patience of the undead. But I always recommend waiting for what you want, over compromising to get something quicker.

3. djsandman

djsandman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    While Sunroof was on the wishlist, it's something I felt could compromise on. I would have liked to get one, but I don't need one....plus since I'm financing 2/3 of the cost it lowers my payments significantly.

4. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    White is cooler (even without the sunroof) and looks cleaner longer, it is a popular and high demand color, if I had the choice when I got mine, that's the colour I would have chosen. Don't know about the dark grey, but the dark blue is a bitch to keep clean and shows dirt easily. If you don't love it, don't get it, but it is a good colour choice! (imho).

5. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is there any similar search I can do for our region? I also want a III with the solar roof, but fortunately don't have a near-term need for the car.

- Chris

6. djsandman

djsandman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was able to do the search through my dealer's website. You might have to look at a few area dealers websites before you find one with the ability to search your region though because not all dealers allow it.

7. kstitt

kstitt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Did you search for a Blizzard Pearl w/sunroof? We have a 2011 Prius III w/ sunroof. I found there were more Prius IV w/sunroof in 2011 when we purchased. It's a great looking car, especially with the contrast of the black sunroof roof on the Blizard Pearl, a beautiful paint. I park it next to a Mercedes C class at my office and the Mercedes owner is jealous of the paint job on my car.

Good luck and work with a dealer to get the car you want.

8. djsandman

djsandman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are still only 10 Blizzard Pearl III's w/ Sunroof. It makes sense that there would be more IV with Sunroofs though since that Sunroof package also includes the popular tech package. I wish I could afford a IV with the Sunroof package, but that pushes it out of my price range. Actually, the III w/ Sunroof pushes the top of my price range.

9. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You have a great alternative .
    Why don´t you go for Sea Glass Pearl ?
    i would love to have that color,but unfortunately we do not get it in Germany !

10. djsandman

djsandman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's one of the colors I originally looked at but didn't care for in the end.

11. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, SR on the Three is rare.

12. djsandman

djsandman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Care to explain?

13. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    did a search and found several. There is a Sea Glass Pearl at local dealer (close to me).
    and one where I bought my vehicle. May want to do more searches...

14. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't know how else to explain except most people who are willing to pay extra for SR usually opt for more features such as found in the Four (leather, etc.).

15. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess it all boils down to how you want to define "rare".

4 leaf clovers are "rare".

I kind of think of anything you can order and receive in 30-90 days as being available, and while not necessarily easy to obtain, not "rare".

16. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am interested in a 2012 Prius IV w/ sunroof, in Barcelona Red. Checked online and local dealer has two. I know you said III, but for mine I seem to be set.

Good luck.

17. ghosteh

ghosteh Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Curious.
    When I bought my III last week, I went in to the dealer with one requirement; sunroof. He had a grey & a white to choose from, and I picked the white. He also said white was probably the most asked-for color. The only thing it didn't have that I wanted was leather, but that's being added this week.
    I can't believe you have to wait that long for a sunroof car. They are obviously out there, and some are sitting on dealer lots.

18. eseymour72

eseymour72 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I looked at several dealerships in the bay area, sac and Reno/Carson and found that if the dealer had <10 cars there would usually be no sunroof but if they had >10 (about 20 cars on lot) you might see 1 or 2 with sunroofs.

Out of 200 or so Prius cars on the many (more 10 lots) that I looked at, I found about 5 cars with sunroofs.

That was my experience.

1 person likes this.
  19. ghosteh

ghosteh Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's probably true. The place I got my car from was a large dealership. I'd guess they had 10-15 Prius's on the lot on a Monday morning & said they sold 9 on the previous Saturday. The other place I looked at only had the sunroof on the V.

20. ghosteh

ghosteh Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe its just me, but the sunroof really gives the car a different, more "fun" and carefree feel. Definately an option worth searching for!