1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are the 2007 Prius any good driving on snow?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PowerMyPriusBaby, Oct 2, 2010.

1. PowerMyPriusBaby

PowerMyPriusBaby New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would like some info from you guys....

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No problems in the bad weather around here although I stay home if it is really bad. That's what vacation time is for.

3. Vic Doucette

Vic Doucette Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mine works just fine in the snow levels we get in southeastern Michigan -- but I made the dealer swap out the Goodyear Integrity O/E tires for some Michelin Harmony tires instead. Most folks here on Priuschat.com don't like the Goodyears on dry pavement; we pretty much all agree that they are utterly worthless in snow.

1 person likes this.
  4. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The car is crap with the stock tires but handles wonderfully with winter tires on.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i will also ask a question of you: why are you asking if you own a 2009?:confused:

6. PowerMyPriusBaby

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I dont LOL, wish i did.... I dont own a prius just yet.

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Gen II Prius (2004-2009 model years) should be as good on snow as most front wheel drive cars, with the caveat that the 2004-2005 model years reportedly had an oversensitive traction control which sometimes cut the power to the drive wheels on inclines/slippery surfaces.

My 2007 Prius with decent all-season tires (I have Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds) drives really well on snow and ice and on inclines/slippery surfaces. I've never gotten stuck.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry, my mistake! your info says, my car: 2009 prius.:rolleyes:

9. PowerMyPriusBaby

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I know, thats the one I want, but cant get:(.. As soon as when I get my own prius, I will update it and maybe it will be a 06 or 07 prius.. Hopefully if i can find one around tax time:pout:... guys wish me good lucky around that time...

10. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I agree with the others that having the right tires makes a considerable difference.

We saw some of the most significant snowfalls in years in my neck of the woods last winter (and the first real test of my Prius' snow capabilities since I bought it in 12/05). The only time I had a significant problem (with Michelin Hydroedges and using careful driving technique) was driving through snow that was deeper than the car's clearance beneath. It makes a poor snowplow. :)

11. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    JimboK- Michelin Hydro Edge are all season tires are they not? They are not a great snow tire! You manageing to get around well on these tire is good news to me as they are a LRR tire to boot.:D H

12. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I use Nokian WR (now WRGII) tires with good results. Snow deeper than 6" or so will cause plowing and you will get stuck. Wait for the snowplow! Otherwise it's fine.

1 person likes this.
  13. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    +1

14. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello David:
    I was thinking of going with Nokian as well. Probably will:D H

15. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    My latest trip through B.C. (went through your town on Friday) has me wishing the WRs would wear out. Of course, the last 5/32 will go forever! They are a bit noisy. The new WRGIIs are quiet. I can't hear the WRs above 90 km/hr but below they have a "tune". But then I can also hear the tires of other vehicles that I pass or that pass me so I guess it's a matter of degree! ;) So far I've got 54,000 km on them and they have worn from 11/32 down to 5/32. They have a 100,000 km treadwear warranty.

16. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is impressive mileage David. So you use them all year around. Sounds like the WR11's would be a real good all around tire. Is you FE good with this tire? With the Integrity's I'm averaging 4.1 ltr. per 100 Kil. I normally drive at 90 Kph. [Slow] H

17. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes they are.

18. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The Nokian's give better mileage than the stock tires. It may be close enough that you won't notice the improvement, but I did. I also noticed right away the handling improvement. I leave them on year round. I got the stock size. They are stronger tires than the stock ones (thank god!!) and can handle higher pressure, if you want to air them way up and ride like a lumber wagon. ;) I run 40 PSI front and 38 PSI rear.

19. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks David. Those are the pressures I am running as well. I have heard nothing negative about these Nokian tires. I think it probably is the way to go. H

20. swi66

swi66 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The stock Integrity tires were simply horrid!
    Great for mileage, but Toyota should be ashamed for putting such a tractionless tire on a vehicle. I drove them through 2 winters and am lucky to be alive. Poor grip in heavy rain as well.
    I now have the Michelin hydro Edge. Some drop in mileage, but the handling and grip in rain is a significant difference. I noticed I cannot pump them up as hard as I did the Integritys without making the ride badly uncomfortable.
    Not that I'm looking forward to winter, but at least this year I feel more prepared for snow.