1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are the Gen4 LED Headlights too bright?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Darrick1dj, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Darrick1dj

Darrick1dj New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm constantly being hassled by on coming traffic as they flash their hi-beams at me to warn me that my hi-beams are on. I would kindly oblige those blinded by my bright lights, but my hi-beams are not on. My Prius Two Eco doesn't have automatic hi-beam sensors and I've read the manual several times to understand the difference between my (DLR) day-time-running lights, my regular headlights, and my hi-beams. Can the intensity of the regular headlights be adjusted, or are the LEDs just too bright?

Archimedes likes this.
  2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you checked for other potential problems?

* headlights mis-aimed (on level ground, point low beams at a wall. The sharp cutoff line must not rise with distance);
    * headlights dirty, diffusing too much stray light above that sharp cutoff line;
    * too much weight in the back of the car, pointing the front end upwards;
    * too much weight on that pictured hitch rack, see above.

RCO, MrMischief and Prodigyplace like this.
  3. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Can't say it any better than this.
    Add: Any suspension modifications ??

4. Veliksam

Veliksam Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The Toyota Corolla led headlights are the same, they always blind me.
    LED is an inferior lighting when compared HID, it's also a much cheaper system than HID.

That's why they LED headlights are standard on all trim levels of the Corolla, it doesn't cost them much to included them.

Imo, LED is not ready for auto applications.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    No, they are not too bright. The LEDs are quite good at lighting the road ahead; and if you have driving lights these fill in to the sides of the road as well.

RCO likes this.
  6. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well I love my light . I can see almost everything in front of me. If they flash me I do the same to them. They will stop. I drive at night a lot so this is one thing that really help me everyday.

RCO likes this.
  7. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't have that issue. I would guess that your headlights are not aimed properly and/or the rear of the car is squatting. I think fuzzy nailed it with the rear hitch mount for the bike. if you carry that on there often, have it on when you aim your lights.

RCO and fuzzy1 like this.
  8. Archimedes

Archimedes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Same problem with me. People were constantly flashing high beams at me. Now I drive at night with my DRL as regular headlights. Fortunately for me I have good eyesight, so my DRL lights are sufficient enough.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My sense from all the reports: even correctly aimed the headlights are dazzling oncoming drivers. The best work around seems to be a compromise aim, a bit lower than optimum.

RCO likes this.
  10. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    YIKES. :eek:
    You do understand that your TAIL LIGHTS will not be on at the DRL setting.....right ?
    And driving with no tail lights is ILLEGAL......right ??
    Not to mention dangerous when somebody runs over you from behind because the oncoming lights made you INVISIBLE because of no tail lights.

jtg61, wrprice, RCO and 3 others like this.
  11. Archimedes

Archimedes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    WOE! NO I did not know that! Thanks for the info. Incoming cars are gonna have to wear sunglasses at night when I coming through,

Dragon Rider likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Apart from @Sam Spade 's comments above: it's a Toyota design fail, if people are resorting to measures like this.

RCO, fuzzy1 and Archimedes like this.
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That would depend on the specific setting he is using. On both my cars with DRLs (Prius and Forester), the DRLs and tail/parking lights are on simultaneously when the lights are set to Parking position.

But this does require a conscious choice to turn on the Tail/Park lights. (Though this could be done just once, set and forget, if the light switch is not turned off when the car is shut down. The light's auto-off feature makes this a battery-safe operation method on both my cars.)

#13 fuzzy1, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    Dragon Rider, jtg61 and RCO like this.
  14. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe some users on PC found the headlights on their 2016 Prius were aimed too high. Once they had them properly adjusted, flashing issues went away.

fuzzy1 and RCO like this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The IIHS also rates the 2016 headlights poor for excessive glare. It's fixed for Sept 2016 builds and onwards (so probably 2017 models).

RCO, Prodigyplace and Mendel Leisk like this.
  16. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I'm wondering if some of you may have RHD headlights which flare up to the left ?

RCO likes this.
  17. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    US is LHD, but we drive on the right.

18. first_superior_prius

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is one of my big pet peeves with DRLs and auto headlights - I think it should be a requirement if there are headlights (even DRLs) on, the taillights should be on too.

I see SO many people driving around at night without taillights because they have DRLs on, and think their headlights are on too

Tideland Prius likes this.
  19. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What kithmo is saying is that in RHD countries (that is, where you sit on the right side of the car, which is on the left side of the road), headlights normally send more light to the left.

Conversely, in LHD countries (sit on the left side of the car, which is on the right side of the road), the headlights normally send more light to the right.

Having headlights made for a RHD country in a LHD country would send light into oncoming drivers' vision.

However, that's not what's going on with these cars - really, the cutoff is simply set too high as they shipped. (But, the newer cars appear to have a different part number for the headlight assembly.)

I cranked my headlight adjusters (all four of them) down about 3/4 of a turn, and will see how that works out - I've gotten flashed quite a bit before. Note that the owner's manual says that Canadian cars can use a Phillips-head screwdriver to adjust the adjusters, but my US car needed an 8 mm socket.

The other thing I see is a lot of people who see that their instrument cluster is illuminated, and assume that their headlights are on. It's things like that that make me want to see either automatic headlights, or mandatory on headlights ala motorcycles (maybe with the exception of GM's approach to a headlight switch in automatic headlight cars, where the default is Auto, but Off is a momentary position if you want the headlights off for now... but next time you start the car, it'll be back in auto).

20. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Please let us know how successful your adjustments are along with any resultant advice for others in this predicament. Thanks.