1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are there Full time/"professional" climate deniers?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by icarus, Mar 11, 2010.

1. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dave... I find it amazing how you find it fascinating how people people can have such different views! Are you even married?

2. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Poptech writes:

"The only way they make a living is because the government subsidizes them. Green jobs are not economically self-sufficient. The problem with the green movement is a lack of basic understanding of economics, energy and markets. If you want skyrocketing energy costs then you want solar, wind and other "green" energy sources."

Giving you a huge benefit of the doubt that you are not a troll here, (although that is getting harder to believe), please provide some citation to the above BS statement.

I have pointed out in numerous thread on this forum how your statement is not correct. I am not going to rewrite all of that, but I would be curious to see your "sources".

3. Poptech

Poptech New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I am well aware that you call everyone who disagrees with you a troll, none of this changes basic economics. I am also well aware of green jobs and renewable energy proponents do not understand basic economics. If you understood economics it is impossible to point out what I said is incorrect.

Is the price of wind and solar more than other forms of conventional energy? Yes or No?

4. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The world of policy often doesn't give a hoot for the world of science. That, of course, permits climate deniers to simply say, "no, no, no" without having to come up with an idea that actually works better to explain what we see and know. This is not science, it is ideology. Science is self-falsifying, only accepts what it cannot disprove and always keeps testing. Science is a process, not an endpoint.

Deniers don't like the idea of climate change, they don't accept that it is possible for humans to change the climate, they don't like the implications of climate change, they don't like things we might have to do to address climate change (efficiency and conservation), or they just don't like government or science. Deniers don't accept or publish in peer-reviewed journals in the public domain.

There is no good argument against global climate change.

www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/gleick

5. Poptech

Poptech New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wrong (oh and skeptics are not deniers) and have explained this extensively,

Climate Change Reconsidered
    (PDF) (868 pgs) (NIPCC)

No skeptics accept that the climate changes.

Of course skeptics do it is to what extent and by what means.

No skeptics actually understand these things,

The Efficiency Paradox (Peter Huber, Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, MIT)
    The Virtue Of Waste (Peter Huber, Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, MIT)

Skeptics publish extensively,

500 Peer-Reviewed Papers Supporting Skepticism of "Man-Made" Global Warming

There are plenty of good arguments that man-made CO2 is not the primary driver,

Climate Change Reconsidered (PDF) (868 pgs) (NIPCC)

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well put PopTech

7. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Once again, I asked you for some citation and it seems that you cannot provide it! I have on other threads cited many examples, so if you don't wish to be discounted, please provide some citations to back up your claim that renewable energy is always higher that that of conventional energy. Your saying it doesn't make it so!

PS. A couple of comments about "Understanding" economics. Economics is the only "science" that is predicated on the premise that unlimited growth is not only possible, but that it is a good thing. I would ask someone who spouts economic theory as the be all and end all of thought, how you can justify the concept of unlimited growth, when we live in what is ultimately a finite plantet?

Second, because any given technology is "better economically" doesn't mean it makes sense environmentally. As we have so often demonstrated, much of what we do, and have done in the past might have made sense "economically" but had a considerable "unfunded/unpaid" long term cost.

Let's use silver mining in the Idaho pan handle for example. (Comes to mind only because I drove through there the other day!) For generations, ore was mined and smelted in the valley with "positive economic" benefit. As a society we were able to keep people employed, and these folks paid taxes, and we had relatively cheap metals prices (silver in this case). So far so good. But the mines petered out, the jobs went a way, and we were left with shell towns, and huge toxic waste tailing dumps. So now, in what is one of the largest environmental/superfund sites in the US, funded not by the corporations that netted the benefit, but by the tax payers in general!

So the short term "economic benefit" of low commodity prices may well have been more than off set by the long term cost, both to public health, and direct clean up costs.

So as far as alternative energy is concerned. Do alternatives cost more (in general) using short term economics? Probably so. If you factor in the true price of coal fired electricity, from strip mining, to watershed damage and restoration, to land restoration, to loss of habitat, to the cost of air pollution to public health (not counting CO2), to ash disposal, to god forbid if you were to include CO2 costs, which would be cheaper?

As I said before,,, show me some citation!

PPS. No, not everyone who disagrees with me do I consider a troll. In point of fact, I ahve had some very interesting (and indeed heated) conversations with people here who I vehemently disagree with, but who are not trolls. You on the other hand, burst on the scene, with no clear connection to Pruischat, nor to Prius's in general, jump in with both feet in what is heated debate, and proceed to post (as a new poster) on a number of threads, very similar material. Yea, I think you might be a troll. Add to the fact that you haven't responded to my
    perfectly reasonable request(s) for citation tends to confirm it.

8. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Don't know about Montana, but in NY the last retreat was around 11,000 years ago. Place is still kind of a mess from all the leftovers.

9. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    :yawn:

A good chunk of the country's population is already covered by a cap and trade system. No one is making $100s of billions. Far from it.

Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI) CO2 Budget Trading Program - Welcome

And it's coming to the west, whether it's done through EPA or the states..

http://www.westernclimateinitative.org

10. Analogkid1958

Analogkid1958 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You're kidding, right? Using your own words...

The entire basis for promoting AGW as a hoax is fear.
    AGW deniers are fear-mongers.
    You mention greed? There is a vast amount of money to be made in denying AGW - $45 billion in 2008 for Exxon-Mobil alone.
    How much from the rest of the world?
    [ame="http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS335US335&q=AGW+deniers+ties+to+fossil+fuel+industry"]That money perverst objective science.[/ame]

Please, explain to me what a poor university or government researcher, drawing a salary of typically less than $150,000 a year, has to gain by risking his or her professional reputation in lying? Yeah, he may get the AGW grant this year, but if he's caught in a lie, how much will he get next year?

Doesn't it stand to reason that a huge industry, which may lose billions of dollars in profits to carbon regulation, might be willing to "fund science" to make up junk science stories, or pay off ("contribute to campaigns") politicians to make sure carbon regulation doesn't happen? (I have to issue a correction here - Exxon-Mobil has apparently backed off its anti-AGW stance, but you get my point. Here's a better article...)

When the extractive industries own the government, own the media (it's pretty hard for a "news channel" to slag the oil companies that pay them millions for adverstising), it's pretty easy to see how they can manipulate the message - "manufacture controversy" is the term they use.

The tactics here are the same used in the tobacco and asbestos "debate."

1 person likes this.
  11. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good point on tobacco! The Toronto Globe and Mail had a editorial just last week on that very subject. The denial "community" is using the (and being used!) the same tactics that big tobacco used for 30 years, in a clear, orchestrated misinformation/obfuscation campaign. It worked too. How many people started to smoke believing that campaign instead of the truth!

Shame!

12. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How much does the USA spend in a week on carbon based fossil fuels?
    8.989 million barrels per day at $83 per barrel equals a daily spend on crude oil of $746,087,000
    So your vast amount of money is equal to less than 3 days spend on crude oil alone, not coal but just oil. So your "vast amount" is less than 1% of the USA's total annual spend on crude oil. That isn't what Americans are spending at the pump, but what oil companies are spending on raw materials. The spend on refined fuels is about 50% higher than this.

I once worked for a national vehicle service chain, our advertising budget was 6% of turnover, do you think the oil industry might have a few billion to spend on spreading "the good oil" on fossil fuel use?

13. chimo

chimo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would agree that there are professional AGW deniers. The book Climate Cover Up does a good job of pointing out who and how AGW denial is funded by certain industries.

It's not much use in arguing with them as their goal is not to win, but to sew the seeds of doubt in the minds of the majority of folks who will not read the full argument or do any research of their own. Their livelihood depends on the argument, not on right/wrong. Considering the stance they are taking, a moral argument will not work either.

Indeed, there seems to be a lot of PriusChat Trolls. You could even call the PTs for short. (what a coincidence on that acronym)

What else would be the purpose of joining a specific purpose forum, such as PRIUSchat if you don't have or intend to purchase a Prius. Quite a lame, pathetic loser-like thing to do unless you are getting something from it (i.e. $ compensation or troll food).

1 person likes this.
  14. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wel that is odd.
    My government will give me an interest free loan of $10,000 to put solar panels on my roof, I pay the loan off over 4 years using the money I save on electricity and a little more, not much though, then after the loan is paid I get free power for 20+ more years. Please point out where this isn't viable even if I had to pay market interest and pay the panels off over 5 years.

In the above (4 year interest free loan) I would pay $3600 in excess of my current power spend over 4 years to get free electricity for the next 20+ years. The actual cost of the panels is not subsidised. If I then cut consumption the excess power is sold to the power company.

15. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One of these was writing a book about climate change science, makes me wonder?

16. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The fact that he wouldn't attempt to answer my direct questions, and that he seems to have disappeared, confirms to me that Poptech is nothing but at climate denier troll and is unworthy of further comment!