1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are there replacement plugs for the Prime cable?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by pbasch, Aug 15, 2021.

1. pbasch

pbasch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm getting a NEMA 6-20 plug installed for charging my 2018 Prius Prime+. I was going to buy an aftermarket cable for $200, but examining the cable that came with the car, it certainly looks like the plug end comes off somehow, and there might be a replacement with different plugs. Has anyone done this? I am too timid to just poke at it until I know someone else, more skilled and/or more intrepid than I am, has done it first. It sort of looks like it wants a flathead screwdriver to release a catch or something.

One reason why it might NOT come off, even though it looks like it's meant to, is that the label says "110 V to 120 V", which certainly seems to indicate that you're not supposed to plug it into a 240 V outlet.

Has anyone got any insight into this?

Attached Files:

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    @Rob43 can probably fix you up with a good adapter.

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    MTN likes this.
  4. pbasch

pbasch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I appreciate the replies. I think I'm going to go with a bought cable for NEMA 6-20, rather than trust my wobbly soldering skills or trust on online maker. But it's interesting!

Salamander_King likes this.
  5. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Isn't there an issue that the wall plug on the Toyota EVSE has a heat sensor, so if you replace it with a random plug without the sensor, the EVSE will go into a fault state and not work? Which is why all of the solutions to use the Toyota EVSE on 240V involve plugging the EVSE into a standard 120V outlet (NEMA 5-15) which has been rewired to provide 240V?

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Or and adapter that goes between the 240V wall outlet and the 120V EVSE Plug like @Rob43 was making in his cottage industry. Alas as @Salamander_King noted Rob hasn't been here for a while. :(

7. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    "Which is why all of the solutions to use the Toyota EVSE on 240V involve plugging the EVSE into a standard 120V outlet (NEMA 5-15) which has been rewired to provide 240V?"
    NOOOOO.

If one wants to try 240 on their original Prime charge cable, use a pigtail. Make up a short cord with a standard NEMA 5-15 connector wired to whatever 240 volt plug you'll use. Tape the original plug to the new connector so it won't be taken apart easily and something else plugged in that might blow up in you hand. (A connector is the female half of a portable plug, like the end from an extension cord. (Plug = male, connector = portable female, receptacle = wall mount female.)

8. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sorry I wasn't precise enough. Yes, I understand that one really, really wants to mitigate the danger of a 120V NEMA 5-15 connector presenting 240V, by using such techniques as fastening the adapter to the original cord, as you describe, so someone won't inadvertently plug a 120V appliance into what is now a 240V connector. All that I was trying to say is that just cutting off the original 5-15 plug on the EVSE and replacing it with a 240V NEMA 6-something won't work due to the heat sensor.

9. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I opted to buy a separate 220V level two EVSE for around $200 on Amazon. . That one is secured inside my garage with the cord run under the garage door to my parking space. Doing it this way allowed me to use a 220V socket inside the garage and there's no fear that someone will steal it.

The level 2 unit has a pigtail to allow it to be used for 110V if I wish. The original level 1 ESVE rides in the special compartment built into the rear deck. That way it's available for use as a destination charger when I visit family. I don't really need to do that, but both of my parents (mom and mother in law) get a kick out of riding in an electric car. As a bonus, my mom gets power at a very low rate, so it's more economical than buying gas. :)