1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are there still people from the south who believe that the Civil War

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Jul 13, 2007.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    as an unjustifiable act of northern aggression and that this fact has been whitewashed in the history books by the victors?

2. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jul 13 2007, 08:48 AM) [snapback]478178[/snapback]</div>
    Easy to find out. Drive throughout the south with a Pennsylvania license plate. You WILL be approached many times by people loyal to the southern cause, and what they have to say is not 'welcome'.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Civil war? Oh, you mean The War of Northern Aggression! ;)

Tom

4. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hmmmm, yeah we like to do safety checks on those northern vehicles ie showin southern hospitality ;)

Funny thread though.... You might run accross nothern haters in miss & alabama... :mellow:

5. formerVWdriver

formerVWdriver New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Jul 13 2007, 01:12 PM) [snapback]478198[/snapback]</div>
    Depends on your driving.

But go ahead. Please think we are backward, unwelcoming, small-minded, stupid and inbred. We have way too many folks moving in as it is.

It's hot. There are huge bugs. We have snakes that will chase you. People carry guns. Even Republicans drive hybrids. Our small church parking lot has three Priuses in the parking lot every Sunday.

We don't own shoes. Everything you see out of Hollywood is the absolute truth. Our sheriffs are all fat, stupid and intent on arresting you.

And as soon as you hit 20 the grocery store bag boys will start calling you "m'am" and "sir," reminding you that at some point you are supposed to grow up.

It's a terrible place. Run far away.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    as far as driving goes, if being chased by a scary guy in a big pickup who swerves all over the road to lean out his window screaming "go home you [insert curse word here, i assure you it was used] YANKEE" says something...
    [as an epilogue, this was DH driving the prius, and when he pulled off the road the guy pulled up next rather than leave well enough alone. dude started to curse him out, and DH stated that he was born and raised in the mountains of this very state. scary guy then drove off after a couple comments.]

granted we've been here 3 years and have driven in excess of 50k miles in 2 cars with northern plates and have experienced that once. that guy was just a psycho, and they're all over the place. psychos, that is. we don't know the reason the silverado driver in charleston decided to tailgate and flash his brights at us, then cut us off and throw a full soda/beer can at our windshield only to speed off at 100+ mph. but the state police were very nice when i called, and i have a decidedly northern accent. especially on the way back from a trip up north, when it gets stronger and my co-workers pick on me for it.

7. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Trolling today Burritos?
    tsk tsk.

8. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(formerVWdriver @ Jul 13 2007, 02:00 PM) [snapback]478223[/snapback]</div>
    vwdriver hit it on the nail head, stay away from the south, big black snakes that will/do chase you (black racers), it gets up to 103* with 100% humidity from (june-september) every home has palmetto bugs whether you can see them or not.: [​IMG]

Spiders the size of a mans hand: [​IMG]

And Mole Crickets! [​IMG]

we have everthing fromwild burmese pythons to pac man frogs in our swamps & wooded areas because they seemed to make good pets when they were small... :angry:

we recently had several small dogs come up missing, it was a 18' burmese python loose in a neighborhood.
    Also a komoto dragon?? loose in another neighborhood it ate a cat...

Also the northern transplanted criminals have figured out they get more loot if they rob nothern turists.. :rolleyes:

Stay away....!! B)

9. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Jul 13 2007, 12:24 PM) [snapback]478207[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, it was a war of agression. The freeing the slaves part came afterwards. And there was nothing civil about it.

10. ohershey

ohershey New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(formerVWdriver @ Jul 13 2007, 11:00 AM) [snapback]478223[/snapback]</div>
    Now, now. I never said any of that. I'm pretty sure you're not even slightly inbred, and that you can be very welcoming.. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(formerVWdriver @ Jul 13 2007, 11:00 AM) [snapback]478223[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like summer vacation, except for the Repulican and church part. We try to chase them off.

I thought only California bliss-ninny hippies didn't wear shoes? Maybe we should all come visit!

I thought that was Fox news....

You left off the silly hats. They wear silly smoky bear hats.

Well, I do live in paradise, at least until it falls into the ocean. I may have to come visit, however, because NOBODY in California sweetens their iced tea. I HATE unsweetened iced tea.

11. jewelerdave

jewelerdave New Member

What ever people say for the reasons...the fact that as many Americans Killed each other over it was a shame. The numbers of people killed was mind boggling particularly for the populations of the country at the time.

Even more disturbing is the propaganda that still sticks with us from it even too this day. It was a terrible time that was generations ago. We cant talk to anyone who was actually there to give us a true accounting of exactly why, and sorting through historical propaganda makes it even harder to discern any truth about the matters.

Fact is a lot of terrible things happened, a lot of people died. And things changed.

Anyone who is still angry about it cant really say much as they were not alive during the times.

Any Southerner who makes nasty remarks about people from the north should be just as ashamed as people from the north who make comments about people from the south.
    people should find something else to concentrate on besides 140 year old news.

As someone from Colorado I occasionally see anti north/south crap in bathroom stalls at truck stops and the like.(no doubt spill over from truck drivers) And I just dont get it. You are all on the same continent, same country, use the same money and are Americans. Get over it.

I also dont understand why occasionally around here you see trucks with confederate flags driving around. Whats the point? Wars over, all those people are dead. I had family who fought and died on both sides.

One of them, Was General Alfred Sydney Johnston. Disgusted by the Idea of the war he served for his home state that as in the South. The man was shot in the leg in the begining. but rather than take treatment sent his doctors and medical staff to see to wounded Union soldiers instead, he bleed to death due too this action but his action stands as testimony that Americans fighting Americans is a disgusting thing. And that we should be helping each other rather than harming each other even at the cost of our own lives.

12. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Right on again, Dave!

13. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(formerVWdriver @ Jul 13 2007, 01:00 PM) [snapback]478223[/snapback]</div>
    Don't forget that, when the deep fryer goes on the fritz, no one can have a salad.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jul 13 2007, 01:34 PM) [snapback]478244[/snapback]</div>
    The war was also a conflict between visions of what America should be/should become: agrarian vs. industrial.

------

It was about States' rights.

To do...what...?

to allow the ownership of slaves, primarily.

I may be oversimplifying; am I missing something...?

14. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jewelerdave @ Jul 13 2007, 03:44 PM) [snapback]478322[/snapback]</div>
    Do you think a foreign power should have intervened in our domestic insanity(ala iraqi shiite/sunni civil war)?

15. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jul 13 2007, 04:05 PM) [snapback]478336[/snapback]</div>
    Very, *very* good question...

16. formerVWdriver

There were apparently a lot of differences then, and a lot of differences now.

A lot of bitterness remains because the South endured so much destruction. My city was burned to the ground. It took one hundred years to recover. The State House has scars where the cannonballs hit and other damage. (It was under construction at the time.)

I forget how many males in my family died in battle, but the previous generation can tell me exactly. And can show me some of their pictures.

My mother remembers her grandfather, who fought in the war, telling her stories about the war and about how he managed to walk home to SC from VA when the war ended. My father still owns the farmhouse where Sherman's troops pillaged the family's food, livestock and crops. They were poor farmers before the war, and destitute farmers afterwards.

There was great hardship here after the war, and when people in your family live into their late 90s and beyond, they remember, and their progeny remember. It was not that long ago.

Today, manners, customs, values and economics are very different here from my experiences in the North. I lived in Philadelphia for a few years and loved the city and people very much. However, I experienced some serious culture shock. For example, around here, if you walk through a door ahead of someone, you continue to hold the door open until the stranger following you can take control of it. In the North I almost got my nose broken a number of times by walking behind people who let the door slam in my face. I'm sure everyone on this thread come name a thousand differences.

I'm sometimes not sure that the language is the same, either. :)

A barbecue is not cooking hot dogs and hamburgers on the grill. A barbecue is a special cooking process, usually involving pork but sometimes chicken or beef, and involving lots of beer, a smoky fire and the barbecue sauce indigenous to that region.... It is a special event but you don't want to be the one sent to pick up the raw pig. Head, feet and all. Sorry. Will not fit in my Prius.

17. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Jul 13 2007, 11:22 AM) [snapback]478240[/snapback]</div>
    HahHAhAhHAhAh and almost everyday since he became a member. . .

18. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jul 13 2007, 09:14 PM) [snapback]478492[/snapback]</div>
    People who live in glass houses should not cast stones.

19. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(formerVWdriver @ Jul 13 2007, 05:28 PM) [snapback]478352[/snapback]</div>
    must depend on the city you're in. here, the door holding issue is 50/50... same as back home in the midwest.

the culture shock thing goes both ways, i assure you. for the few months i did not understand a word that some people said to me. some of the phrases i learned were very much double-meanings and i actually ended up being "schooled" in some small aspects of southern culture by a postdoc in my lab.

20. formerVWdriver

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 14 2007, 03:27 PM) [snapback]478715[/snapback]</div>
    Do you think where you are is particularly Southern? I went to visit some people up there and was the only person in the swimming pool who was not from NY.

Then again, my neighbors out here in the country include people from Cuba, Mexico, Lebanon and Turkey.