1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are there still people from the south who believe that the Civil War

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Jul 13, 2007.

1. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jul 14 2007, 12:19 AM) [snapback]478496[/snapback]</div>
    :blink: :lol: :lol: Oh pot to kettle ! :huh: :mellow: :lol: :lol: :lol:

2. formerVWdriver

formerVWdriver New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jul 13 2007, 05:02 PM) [snapback]478329[/snapback]</div>
    If it was a fish fry you can have sushi.

And the sweet tea is oh-so-lovely and delicious.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(formerVWdriver @ Jul 15 2007, 07:43 PM) [snapback]479316[/snapback]</div>
    i've met a number of born-and-raised-here southerners. at least three people i work with here are locals, and i share an office with two of them. three of our summer students have a hometown in NC (the other one's from east africa). our neighbors are mostly locals, we live in a modest income rental neighborhood- not typically where you'd find university students around here.

many people who are working in local stores are locals. at first, i could not make conversation anywhere because i never understood what people were saying to me. it got easier though. so sure, there are lots of out of towners depending where you go. but there are also a lot of people who grew up and stayed here.

what i'm saying is that i don't see the south as any better or worse than anywhere else, really. the climate, yes, much worse IMO. other stuff? [shrug]

4. formerVWdriver

formerVWdriver New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 17 2007, 04:18 PM) [snapback]480434[/snapback]</div>
    The climate's nice as long as you have air conditioning :) Then again, I know I can't take a Wisconsin winter. Sweating is no problem -- just drink lots of water. But cold!!! Can't do it for more than a weekend.

Some of those NC accents do take some extra listening. I often have to "play in my head" what was just said until I can decipher.

Of course, South Philly was a challenge for me, too!