1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are there three major fixes for a 2007 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jason Packel, Dec 12, 2021.

1. Jason Packel

Jason Packel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi. I was told there are three major fixes for a 2007 Prius. Does anyone know if this is right and what they are? I have two big fixes I need done, so I am going to have someone check it out to see if there is anything else. If there is a third, I might just trade the car. Thanks.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    By fixes do you preventative? Or do you mean fixes in terms of the three most expensive repairs?

SFO likes this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Failures that will eventually happen to a Gen2 car.

1. Combination meter (minor)
    2. ABS actuator (major)
    3. Hybrid Battery (major)
    4. Inverter pump (minor)
    5. Get catalytic converter stolen (major in CA, minor in other states)

All the rest of the car will have failures like any other car as it ages.

TheLastMojojomo and fotomoto like this.
  4. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That about covers it...

For preventative:

1) Replace Wire Frame #2 on Hybrid Battry pack before corrosion damages Battery ECU where it plugs in (high humidity regions)

2) Regularly charge, balance and recondition hybrid battery to maintain capacity (every 18 months)

3) Steal and sell your own expensive catlytic converter before someone else does & replace w/cheap aftermarket one. Also install cat shield to help deter theft.

4) Regularly check oil level and top off between oil changes once you're above 100K miles

5) Replace Trans fluid at least once

fotomoto likes this.
  5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The nice people here will try to be helpful with answers to this.

But they will be mostly worthless unless you tell us what two things you already know.
    Or think you know.

The things you already know need to be done might not even be on the mythical "list of 3".
    Who was it that told you that in the first place ?

6. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Will try adding another mostly "worthless" answer;

6. AC system (major)

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That's too funny because most of these things I've bought I've just vacuumed them down and charged them up carefully and they work like a charm it's funny

SM-A715F ?

8. Jason Packel

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I mean the three most expensive repairs. Someone was saying the three most expensive repairs are the HV battery, the brake actuator and the inverter. I researched the inverter issue and some people say it is $200, while some people talk about paying $2,500. I need to do more research on the inverter, do you guys understand this price difference? Thanks

Thanks for this. I read some people saying they fixed the inverter themselves for $200, and others saying they were quoted $2,500 or more to fix the inverter. I can't find too much online about this, do you understand it?

I just read that on here and can't remember who said it.

#8 Jason Packel, Dec 12, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2021
  9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Inverters are not a problem in Gen2... Gen3 Inverters have a recall for some years.

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The inverter is not a common failure on the gen2 cars. A new part will run into the thousands of dollars. However since these parts rarely fail, junk yards are full of these parts (if you ever need it). The inverter pump, that's the more common failure on the gen2 cars. That will need replacement around every 100k miles

11. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No need to fix (or replace) the inverter, unless you plan on driving around with a failed "inverter coolant pump", and in turn blow it up.

Are you trying to throw parts at this vehicle, or do you have some known OBD2 codes (DTCs) that point to these "three major fixes" ?

12. Jason Packel

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks JC91006, and SFO. That is good news that the Gen 2 cars shouldn't have the costly inverter fix. The dealership told me I need to fix the brake actuator and the HV battery recently, the brakes were acting up a little, then the red triangle and check engine lights came on. I wasn't told of any codes though. I am showing my inexperience here, but there isn't a major cost for an engine or transmission fix?

13. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Everyone who reads a forum like this needs to understand that places like this tend to MAGNIFY any common reoccurring problem, no matter how small and infrequent it might be.

Virtually NOBODY comes to a forum like this just to say "I have a 2005 model with 150,000 miles on it and it has been the perfect car." But a lot of people come to report or ask for help on problems that may not really be that common.

nancytheprius and JohnPrius3005 like this.
  14. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Inverter costs.

Part of the inverter assembly is a DC to DC converter to make 201 volts into 12 volts. (Actually a little higher, so it charges the 12 volt battery)

While reliable, it fails if you reverse jumper cables. The dealer will replace the entire unit but you can get the Air Conditioning and DC to DC board for much less. My take away is don't use jumper cables, use a jump pack.

From 15:05 to 18:05 he is talking about that board. The entire video is first rate.

#14 JimboPalmer, Dec 13, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    Another likes this.
  15. nancytheprius

nancytheprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    it will work like any car. if you have a major failure or something goes wrong then there are costs associated to fix them

16. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have 4 or 5 inverters here . brake actuators too. Other parts too I pick em up as I see them stack up at the yards . Same as I did for my rollas.

SM-A715F ?

SFO likes this.
  17. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Gen 2 engines are very happy with 5000 mile oil changes, transaxle wants drain and fill with ATF WS every 100,000 miles.

18. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Very happy with 5,000 mi oil changes no once I get up around 300K I'm going right to 10,000 mi oil changes if not closer to 15 just because it's not going to make any wear come on any quicker at that point . Sooo.. I'm looking this car maybe to go the 5 or 600 K

SM-A715F ?

19. Jason Packel

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, nancytheprius. I couldn't find much online about Gen 2 engine or transmission repairs. I was under the impression that they wouldn't be too expensive because the car is a hybrid.

20. nancytheprius

nancytheprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They are reliable! Keep up with checking your oil regularly and changes every 5k miles and keep all fluids full and changed at the proper intervals and you should be good