1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are these political?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tochatihu, Apr 6, 2022.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  2. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting article.

America has a troubled press.

Here is an article by a Harvard Political Scientist published in the Harvard Business Review on the subject - the article is interesting but has an intellectual flavor. Ironically Harvard is considered a Bastillion of Liberal thought.
    While written in 1994/1995 people who take the time to read the article will realize how little has changed since that article was written.

Why the News Is Not the Truth (hbr.org)

"The U.S. press, like the U.S. government, is a corrupt and troubled institution. Corrupt not so much in the sense that it accepts bribes but in a systemic sense. It fails to do what it claims to do, what it should do, and what society expects it to do."

#2 John321, Apr 6, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
  3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting that a left-leaning site conducts a "survey" finding that (among others) the BBC and government funded news is the "most trustworthy."
    When an organization has a "senior data journalist" that looks about old enough to be a senior in high school, then that's what folks in the intel biz call "an indicator."

The only brief time in my life that I was not an Electronics Technician by title and function since I was 18 years old was when I was a "Junior Staff Analyst" working for dot.gov......and I was deeeeep into my 30s, and NO product left our shop without the attentions of a SENIOR staff analyst.
    I remember a long-ago time when American journalism had a patina of respectability, that newsies practiced a more or less similar approach.

Now?
    I'm thinking that if I had a child I would rather they get into adult entertainment rather than journalism.
    It's more honest work....and it probably more of a societal benefit.

Yellow journalism is no new thing in America.
    It's merely "Fake News" c-1900
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_journalism

What IS new is that they've stopped pretending not to be crooked.

#3 ETC(SS), Apr 6, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  5. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Truth is where you find it.

Or?

If you ask a guy named Bill:.
    This above all: to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man.’

Or perhaps.....John (5:30)
    'I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.'

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  7. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Reminds me of an old joke..

A bunch of kids are playing hockey in a Chicago park when a rabid dog attacks, and one of the kids beats it to death with his stick. A reporter nearby witnessed it, and wanted to report a nice story, so he interviews the kid and starts writing "Heroic young man fights off a rabid dog and saves the life of his friend". He asks the kid if he's a blackhawks fan, the kid says no. Reporter keeps writing his story, asks if the kid is a cubs fan. No. A white sox fan? No. Oh, you must be a Bears fan then. No, I'm a packers fan. The reporter rips up the story and writes "Punk cheesehead kills beloved family pet".

News should be news. not opinion.

Merkey likes this.
  8. JahT

JahT Member

News is news and always has been, and sensationalist headlines have always been too. Opinion is something else and is clearly labeled as such. That poll just shows people are dumb and easily manipulated into hating CNN and MSNBC, and blindly trusting obvious propaganda sources and state media. Information is just reporting on reality, and early reporting means that information may change, but that doesn't make it fake or untrustworthy. People complaining about news don't want information to challenge their views and they need someone to tell them what they want to hear (that's not news). Also if you have a valid complaint about media, be specific in that complaint or else you're just ranting at clouds. Nobody is asking for blind trust, just quit distrusting everything.

Trollbait likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    'dewey beats truman'

10. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ‘Hillary first (biological) woman President’

11. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    NBC APOLOGIZES FOR STAGED CRASH, SETTLES WITH GM - The Washington Post

Exploding Chevy Pickups And NBC Coverup (motorbiscuit.com)

"NBC publicly apologized last night for secretly using incendiary devices to stage a fiery crash involving a General Motors pickup truck and announced that it had settled a day-old lawsuit filed by the auto maker.

In an abrupt reversal of the network's earlier insistence that it had done nothing wrong, Jane Pauley, co-host of "Dateline NBC," told viewers that "we agree with General Motors that we should have told our viewers" about the incendiary devices and that it was "a bad idea from start to finish."

Co-host Stone Phillips added: "We deeply regret that we included the inappropriate demonstration in our 'Dateline' report. We apologize to our viewers and to General Motors. We have also concluded that unscientific demonstrations should have no place in hard news stories at NBC.""

#11 John321, Apr 7, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  12. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    News is a Business !
    Which Business do you Trust to tell you what you want to hear it here?

#12 vvillovv, Apr 8, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
  13. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Good old “news” entertainment

vvillovv likes this.
  14. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  15. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I like ETCs example better.

It’s funny when a bad actor, guilty of one crime can sue another for a different one.

Besides the Native American man all were at fault.

If legal corporal punishment should have been provided to the groups at fault
    with mandatory apologies required of individuals to all groups involved

#15 Rmay635703, Apr 8, 2022
  16. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    CNN was just one of the media units successful sued in this incident - The Washington Post, New York Times and a few others also received multi millions judgements against them for false reporting in the situation. The Washington Post was successfully sued for over $200 million in this case

The kid did nothing wrong he just stood there. The Native American picked him out of a group of students waiting for their bus to arrive and began harassing him. The kid did not respond. The Man who started the incident was later disgraced as a liar about his military service among many other things.

Case of the Covington kids is a perfect example of media bias (nypost.com)

The impression that the kid was a "bad actor" implied by the false news reports was one of the big reasons the young student received multi million dollar settlements from the news media .

Washington Post Settles Lawsuit With Student in Viral Protest Video - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

This was just one incident. A person could wear themselves out by posting examples of not just bad reporting but reporting that is vicious and attempting to instigate trouble.

#16 John321, Apr 8, 2022
  17. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Um no, more to that situation as they were there hours
    Also there were 3 parties involved, most of which didn’t belong there
    Not cut and dried but likewise he is no angel either.

play stupid games win stupid prizes.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we'll need links

19. JahT

JahT Member

The kids including Sandmann did do something wrong, to say he or they didn't is just bad parenting and pure ignorance. There is video that shows it and witnesses, and blaming the media is beyond stupid and litigious. Kids were being unruly and disrespectful as expected as kids, but that poor behavior shouldn't be excused away by suing the media for talking about it. The kids and their parents should be embarrassed, being embarrassed is a part of parenting and growing up. Embrace being wrong. If Nick were my kid he'd apologize for his role, I wouldn't make him into some fake victim in order to profit.

20. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Independent Investigation Shows Covington Boys Told the Truth, Confirms Nathan Phillips is a Liar Amplified by the Media (townhall.com)

"The results of an independent investigation into the January 18, 2019 Lincoln Memorial confrontation between leftist activist Nathan Phillips, black supremacist group the Black Hebrew Israelites and students from Covington Catholic High School were released Wednesday by Greater Cincinatti Investigation, Inc.

The report, which is four pages long, shows what everyone could have known initially if the time was taken to reach for context: Covington students didn't use a single racial slur against either Phillips or the Black Hebrew Israelites and they didn't instigate the confrontation. In fact, it was the opposite. "

"Despite the Black Hebrew Israelites yelling racial slurs at the boys, saying they "were white incest babies" and threatening to harvest their organs, the students were warned not to respond.

"Some students stated that one of the chaperones reminded the students that, if they engaged in a verbal exchange with the Black Israelites, they would receive detention when returning to school," the report states."

"Investigators reviewed 50 hours of media on the situation, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and footage used by major news networks. They interviewed dozens of people.

Not surprisingly Phillips, who lied about what the Covington boys said (claiming they chanted 'Build the Wall' -which by the way, isn't a racial slur) and about serving in Vietnam, refused to participate in the investigation. "

"The statements we obtained from students and chaperones were remarkably consistent. And, the statements are consistent with the videos we reviewed," the report concludes.

Here is a copy of the independent report imbedded in the article (note that this report was done by independent investigators)

VINDICATED! Independent Probe Finds Covington Catholic Kids Were Truthful About Confrontation - The Lid (lidblog.com)

Investigation Exonerates Covington Catholic Students (churchmilitant.com)

Investigation Found No Proof That Covington Catholic Boys Said ‘Offensive Or Racist Statements’ To
    Nathan Phillips | The Daily Caller

Investigation finds no evidence of ‘racist or offensive statements’ in Mall incident - The Washington Post

Covington Catholic High School students exonerated in independent report - The Dialog

Diocese of Covington Releases Results of Cov Cath Investigation - LINK nky

#20 John321, Apr 13, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2022