1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are these the parts I need for an oil filter housing conversion?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by leftovercrack, Nov 10, 2022.

1. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The aluminum one CAN be overtightened! I've used a 2ft 1/2 inch breaker bar to get more
    than one loose!
    If it somehow 'stops', then what could keep it from coming loose?
    You wouldn't need a wrench to tighten it, you could just do it by hand.

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry, I'll just have to disagree. I have 2 mounted on a Prius, and a Corolla. It cannot be overtightened. The o-ring resistance is adequate to keep the housing from coming loose, as long as the housing is tightened on enough to obtain the resistance. Yes, after sitting on the car for 6 months, I do also use a breaker bar to loosen it, but it doesn't require power tools, it breaks free readily with the breaker bar. It would probably be easily loosened with a ratchet wrench as well, but I try not to abuse my ratchets.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ANY bolt, nut, screw, whatever, CAN be over tightened.
    Plenty of mechanics have proven it.

Grit likes this.
  4. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That is the filter cap on my Scion iQ. The filter is oriented more vertically, so one is supposed to drain the oil from that prior to removing the cap. If you want to do that there is the gasket available separately or packaged in the iQ specific filter. The iQ specific filters also include a drain tool that you either screw in or press in to press a spring loaded valve. If you don’t use the tool no oil comes out, and you’re left with a lot of oil coming out with the cap. For security there is that small o-ring on the small drain cap.

Since I prefer Fram Ultra filters I just do not touch the small cap, which I believe a 3/8” extension fits nicely IIRC, as the filter dimensions are exactly the same as the Prius, but Prii filters do not include the small gasket nor drain tool.

What I wasn’t sure about was whether the thread pitch and size were the exact same on the main filter cap…

iPhone ?

5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I’m not sure if it’s an Al alloy or pure Al. I do not think it is pure Al. (Pure Al bolts feel like fake metal, I assume a pure Al cap would feel unusually light)…

We have Al bolts in my wife’s other car. They are torqued to yield: torque plus degree angle. Once removed, service manual says they need to be replaced…

I’d still use a torque wrench and I follow what’s noted on the cap.

iPhone ?