1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are these tires good or bad? Prius V 2010

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ilovemymac, May 17, 2013.

1. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    F8L lives in Sacramento, i.e. no snow :)

But he did review the Ecopia EP422 in 17s

The ExtremeContacts are non-LRR but a great tire that many members have especially in the 18" size (and the best looking one IMO). The PureContacts are LRR though.

2. ilovemymac

ilovemymac Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yea i saw that review and thats what got me thinking that maybe it would be a good tire. I put allot more PSI in my tires then he was running ie i put 50 in my crappy tires i have now. I keep between 48 and 50 in them all the time. So i might get a better not so sway ride out of them. MPG is very important as i drive 100 miles a day several days a week.

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Then get the Ecopia EP422s in 17s as they're more fuel efficient than other off-the-rack LRR 17s. Costco is running a $70 off promo on a set of 4 Bridgestones right now.

4. ilovemymac

ilovemymac Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    you have to be a member though right?

5. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  6. LarryEd

LarryEd New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Check the dealer. They have 4 for 3 specials sometimes.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I may be belabouring this, but Costco takes off these rebates at time of purchase. No delay, less tax to pay. Otoh, once your better half heads into their store, it can get expensive ;)

8. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, it's an instant rebate (unlike tirerack's promo). Perhaps it's different in Canada, but around here I'm pretty sure the $70 off comes after tax.

One caveat though: Costco won't install non-OEM size tires. If you were thinking about getting 205/50/17, forget about going there (unless you trick them as I did once :) )

OP: Another option (as you're not in a hurry to replace tires) is to advertise a WTB ad in the Private Sales forum here for a set of slightly used OE 215/45/17 tires (either Toyo Proxes A20, Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02, or Michelin Pilot HX MXM4). They are custom designed as LRR and are likely even more fuel efficient than the Ecopia EP422. The advantage of going this route is you won't have to deal with the slight mpg drop that comes with brand new tires as they're already broken in. Do not accept any off-the-rack counterparts as they're not the same tires as OE and may not be LRR.

9. csp1971

csp1971 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm in Blue Springs, MO and had the same trouble locating anything used. Check out tirebuyer.com. I purchased some new wheels from them for a fairly reasonable price. Free shipping. My first order about a month ago, I ended up with four 15" steel wheels, four nitto winter tires, four michelin a/s energy savers shipped.... all for $650. For some odd reason, the discount code knocked off 40% so I bought all of it. I think it was a glitch because I went back after I ordered and it wouldn't work. Weird.

After weighing the steel wheels (25 pounds each, very heavy), I ordered some Maxxim 15" rims last week for about $360 after a discount. I'll be using them for my Nitto winter tires. The steel rims are now up on craigslist!

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I recall the bill showing the $70 deduction, and then tax was calculated. This is Costco Canada, fwiw. Our sales tax is 12%, so that's more-or-less another $8~9 off. And no waiting around for months.

It would be a bummer if Costco won't install alternate size. I'm still on the fence, but was seriously thinking about replacing our 215/45R17 with 205/50R17. That's if our Current Michelin Pilots ever wear out, LOL. Our yearly kilometerage is around 13000, and 5 months of the year I have the (15") snows on.

I will replace them after 5 years, one way or the other: I've heard that's a tire's "half life", ie, the time when their integrity starts to deteriorate, just due to aging. Like people ;)

11. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Costco will still sell you non-OE size tires for $70 off but won't install them. You can order online and when you pick them up they'll refund you the mounting and balancing fees.

12. ilovemymac

ilovemymac Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I went to firestone. told them im changing the size and they said ok didnt seem to have an issue with it. They have an online rebate going on and they honor it in store so works for me.
    everyone i checked either didnt have that size or couldnt get it for a week or something and were the same price.

13. ilovemymac

ilovemymac Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well weird thing after new tires put on. Gas milage is no better. Tires are not as loud as the others which is nice. I also am off a 1/10 of a mile every mile. I verified it with the mile markers on the hwy. how do I correct that?

I am still going to get to that. 500 mile tank. Never dne it but I intend to.

iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What tires and size did you get?

15. ilovemymac

ilovemymac Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ecopia 422 205/50/17

iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

16. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    New tires require a break-in period. What's the weather like? Some people are reporting 10+ mpg drop just from the weather.

17. ilovemymac

ilovemymac Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Cold. So far these have been very little in town. I took a trip but I guess I can't tell mpg since th car thinks I have gone less then I really have.

iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

18. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You can reset your trip odometer. Displayed mpg is designed to be slightly off but this is normal.

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The difference in tire diameters is very minor, roughly 1%. I go through a similar transition every fall, going from 215/45R17 to 195/65R15 (snow tires). I basically ignore the error.

I'm just looked up your old tire, Kumho Ectsa AST, does not show as LRR.

If you calculate a tank or two with the new tires, then multiply your mpg by 1.01, I think that'll give you a close idea of how the new compare to old.

This is just my spreadsheet, with theoretical differences, but should be close:

tire comparison.JPG

Oh BTW: could you post a picture? Be interesting to see how the car looks, with slightly taller tires. Thanks.

20. ilovemymac

ilovemymac Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That calculation seems off. Ok this is what I figure. For every 10 miles the car is actually going 11 miles even though the odometer reads 10. So on a tank of 400 miles I'd actually be going 440 so when figuring up milage I figure what I actually go rather then what the car odometer says.
    I will snap a few pics. It seems to ride allot better then the old tires and also I like when I pull in driveways with a dip and then a big bump I use to drag the front airdam but I don't hit it anymore.

iPhone 5 using Tapatalk