1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ARE WE LOOKING AT A FUTURE LITHIUM ION PACK FAILURE TOO?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Dxta, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Apple apologises for slowing older iPhones down - BBC News

The recent lawsuits in the USA against the alleged deliberate slowing down of some phones by the mobile phone giant, Apple, has kept me wondering.

It said it had made changes to the iOS operating system to manage ageing lithium-ion batteries in some devices, because the batteries' performance diminishes over time.

"Lithium-ion batteries become less capable of supplying peak current demands when in cold conditions, [when they] have a low battery charge or as they age over time, which can result in the device unexpectedly shutting down to protect its electronic components," the company said.

Here comes my concern.

1.Don't you think this same problem could affect all lithium ion based packs on electric cars, and maybe some generation of Prius with this sort of chemistry?

2. Are the auto manufacturers/battery guys also, following this news closely, to come up with algorithms that could take care of all future problems related to this battery chemistry?

3. Would solid state lithium ion based packs and probably, super capacitors cushion in the ageing problems?

4. Or can one say, this won't happen on the current electric and hybrid cars, because of the cooling methods they've got?

I think problems like these, are what gets potential buyers globally always scared about HEV/BEV.

PS: Just in case I posted this in the wrong place(technical), could you suggest the right one, for it to be moved?

Dxta

#1 Dxta, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  2. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well, if Toyota lets me replace/upgrade my batteries in a few years for $29, then OK by me. ;)

But.... cars / phones. Apples (sic) and oranges. The batteries in your car are protected by charging up to only 80% capacity, and can be depleted no lower than 20%. That keeps them in the healthy range, and for a long time. That's for Li-Ion or Nickel Metal Hydride. That was the great learning curve that car manufacturers had to get through before releasing the things to the public. Sure, there could be an individual cell failures - it has happened - it will happen. But the tech is largely understood and considered when brought to the market. And that tech will always get better.

Tesla, for example, has about a 7%, on average, battery degradation over 200,000 miles. And that's for the more originally installed batteries on older Model S'. I'll bet the prismatic cells in Toyota's don't do much worse. There are Prius cabs that have done 350,000 miles on the original hybrid traction battery. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

EDIT: BTW, I also had a 2010 Gen3 for eight seasons. Loved it. Best car I ever had. In the end, and before I bought the Prime, it was losing its mileage edge. Could have been the traction batteries. Could have been the 2nd 12v battery getting older. Could have been that every other part of the car was getting older and wearing out. Could have been ALL those thing added together. I never really worried about any of it, because that's what cars do as they age. Then the new car arrives.

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota has much more experience designing battery systems for longevity. Apple is concerned primarily with physical size and not longevity.

Doug McC and pilotgrrl like this.
  4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    First off this is nothing new. If this is news to you, you need to research what you're buying more. Apple made a stupid choice like they usually do by limiting current draw without user input. On most devices you'll notice the charge just doesn't last as long. It is designed so that it can pull max current even with an almost dead battery. But when it can't, it just shuts off unless plugged in. Have you never had a laptop that becomes tethered to the wall? Same thing. I prefer manufactures that let me choose what to do.

What problem? That's the design. Lithium batteries have a memory effect and aging effect. It is a big box of chemical goo. Over time, the magic parts of the goo fade away. So of course, anything with a base Lithium design like all batteries will eventually lose capacity.

Lots of cars have already done this. Put in X KWh of battery, market it as having (X-Y) KWh of battery and as the battery degrades over time it uses more of the SOC faking the aging.

No.

Cooling methods have nothing to do with it.

A little bit of knowledge can be scary. This problem is as old as the oldest batteries. Everyone has seen this effect for themselves already. This isn't the news.

The takeaway from the Apple thing, is that they unilaterally decided that instead of making the battery discharge extremely quickly but retain full functionality, they crippled the devices to extend battery life. And of course the effected devices are still quite new so the conspiracy theorists say this is a move to force an upgrade. All that is just Apple being Apple. Absolutely no different than adding $1 worth of IC's into a stupid charger cable just so that you have to buy a genuine cable meaning for $$$ for Apple. Copper is copper, but the phone will refuse to use the copper unless it is authenticated. Do you really expect quality when buying a $0.20 charging cable? Of course not.

Lithium ion batteries used in phones are similar but very different than all the various cocktails of lithium that cars use now adays.

And yes, the cold (and heat) degrades a battery and how much current can be pulled from and pushed into a battery. This is why fast charging standards (like CHAdeMO) drop charge rates when it is cold or hot. Also why cars have heaters in the pack.The Leaf for instance has electric heaters built into the electric battery pack. When it gets to -20C outside, the heaters kick in and use some battery power to heat themselves up to prevent them from being too cold to be usable.

And while we are on that subject, the same thing happens to gas and diesel cars. Ever try to start a gasser at -40 or -60? If the lead acid battery hasn't frozen and/or exploded the fuel lines may be frozen and the engine itself will take quite the beating. So we solve it the same way. Add a little resistive heater to the block and fuel lines and plug in the gasser even when off. Really old tech, solving the same problem.

Doug McC, pilotgrrl, Dxta and 2 others like this.
  5. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @Dxta I believe @2k1Toaster works on battery system design or a profession. He is definitely one of the more battery-savvy folks here.
    You would do well to listen to him.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my 5 1/2 year old li-on battery has already lost capacity, and i'm down 33% in this cold. is this what you are referring to, and what would apple's solution do to help me?

Prodigyplace likes this.
  7. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Likely that you don't KNOW that for sure.

Whatever indications you are using to come to that conclusion might be misleading.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just the joy i get from being part of this community.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Was there some sort of 4th gen "white paper", saying something about the lithium ion battery models not starting (by design), at extreme low temperatures, say -30C ish?

Interesting link. Not sure if there's anything relevant to this thread, but lots of info, and links to high-res image downloads:

Under the Hood of the All-new Toyota Prius | TOYOTA Global Newsroom

#9 Mendel Leisk, Dec 30, 2017
    Chodronish likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what could they be? the car doesn't travel as far as it used to on ev.

11. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is one posting quoting a Toyota rep.

Battery Differences? | PriusChat

Here is a quote from the article.

#11 Prodigyplace, Dec 30, 2017
    Chodronish and Mendel Leisk like this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, could even be the car just reads ambient temp and it's programming prevents start up, a safety criteria?

13. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mehn, I like his inputs as regards what he's just said. I think he's right. No problems with that. I'm just trying to learn from everyone!

14. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, maybe they upgrade your software, or what?:D

bisco likes this.
  15. Chodronish

Chodronish Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Can anyone suggest a good battery tutorial? I want to learn more.

16. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Battery tutorials are awash on the internet. Simply googling would help.

Here's one have used:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com

pilotgrrl and Chodronish like this.
  17. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    According to my interpretation, it is the cold soak of the battery and, likely, reduced capacity.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Batteries do not charge or discharge as efficiently when they are cold.
    Maybe you are driving it differently.
    Maybe there is a constant headwind.
    Maybe a belly pan has fallen off and you have more aero drag than before.
    Maybe your brakes are dragging.
    Maybe a connection or two is starting to corrode.

It is called "Jumping to a conclusion".

19. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Why is this a Gen 3 thread?
    No nonPHEV Gen 3 even has a Lithium Ion battery. It can't possibly affect your Gen.
    Should you panic about future Prius, the Gen 4 offers NiMH in the level Two Prius.

I question why the ALL CAPS panic for cars you don't have. It seems like trolling.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    read my post again, i said, 'in the cold'.

the rest, you don't know. spend some time in the pip forum with all the experienced 'conclusion jumper'.:)

Dxta and Raytheeagle like this.