1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are we overemphasizing MPG?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by John in LB, Mar 22, 2007.

1. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maineprius947 @ Mar 23 2007, 10:47 AM) [snapback]411042[/snapback]</div>
    Dennis, the number of significant digits is not based on the number displayed, but the accuracy (or certainty) of the number. For example, we all know your odometer reading for 289.6 miles is + or - a couple of miles... so, arguing whether it was 289.6 or 289.5 is meaningless, since the debate is whether it is 291 or 287 miles...

That logic also goes for the fuel pump at the station... and of course for any given tank, there is a ton of error in terms of how much you actually filled the tank up to (this issue tends to become smaller - but never disappears over the life of the car).

Anyway, I certainly was not making fun of any competition or event that may be ongoing (I wasn't even aware that there was a competition going on). I was just having a conversation... Enjoy.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi Dennis,
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maineprius947 @ Mar 23 2007, 01:47 PM) [snapback]411042[/snapback]</div>
    There is a serious purpose behind my interest in the average speeds of the Insight and Prius marathons. Physics tells us, based upon the average speed, the minimum energy demand of the vehicle. For reasons covered in another posting, the steady-state speed dictates the minimum power and energy.

One of the by-products of modeling and testing is realization that ANYONE can achieve 100 MPG. The receipt is fairly simple and straight forward. Once having achieved it, I'm hoping folks will 'open up their minds' and start looking at the basics. There are areas for Prius performance improvement that need willing hands and quick minds.

Bob Wilson

3. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Land speed records are to go as fast as possible at the expense of everything else...someone said on the record they got 212 feet per gallon - OUCH! The Prius and Insight Marathons are the same thing for stock production cars - it's the current edge. Hopefully automakers will make it possible to break it in the near future. In no way is it like a typical commute - no car is going to have much speed getting much past 100mpg. It's a way to get people to think about what is possible and maybe do a couple of things to go farther in the real world.

Notice in the general world how much people talk about performance?

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Mar 24 2007, 11:10 AM) [snapback]411481[/snapback]</div>
    There is a thriving business of after-market power products that could be used to completely rebuild a car from the ground up. This market didn't spring up over night but over time, hot-rodders have come up with better engines, transmissions, wheels, exhaust and fuel systems. The same is needed for fuel efficiency and I don't mean the scams like fuel line magnets, twisty air vanes, air temperature sensor resistors or PC cooling fan super chargers.

As long as folks are willing to wait for 'automakers', they will be stuck, passively living with what they get. But like one vultures said to the other,

"Patience hell - I'm going to kill something." [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

5. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If someone wants to do this with a modded car - no problem.

To say it another way, the recent Prius and Insight Marathons are not something to sneeze about. Bigger and better things will happen as that is progress.

6. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The point of the Insight and Prius marathons was not just to say "hey, look at me, look at our mileage!" It was a demonstration of the maximum capability of the cars when pushed to their limit, stock. The take home message for the reader is that how a car is driven can make a very big difference to its fuel economy. Nothing more, nothing less. The guys who did it could care less if we know who they are or not.

Engineering is great, and looking for improvements to what Toyota sold us is certainly worth it. But most people don't have the interest, much less the time, know-how, and cash to get into it. If they want better gas mileage today, it comes down to understanding the role of their right foot.

There is no single "best" way to approach the problem.