1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are we really discharging to 6 or 3 volts?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius92, Jul 29, 2022.

1. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am trying to understand the interaction that occurs to further my understanding of rebuilding these modules.

If you set a hobby charger or discharger to discharge to 6 volts, it will stop applying a current load as soon as it senses the voltage with the load applied hits 6 volts.

However, once you remove this load, the voltage will creep back up, usually to around 7+ volts when discharged to 6.

On the other hand, if you could program a discharger to discharge to 6 volts, and then releasing the current load, and continuously reapplying it until it reaches 6 volts and stays there, would this be entirely different?

Technically speaking, if we discharge to 6 volts and remove the current load, and it "floats back up" to 7+ volts, are we really "discharging to 6 volts"?

Also, what exactly causes the voltage to spike back up once the load is removed?

PriusCamper likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's a chapter in a $3K book that explains NiMH in great detail... It's been mentioned on here by Mr. Lol (aka: @tracy ing ). I think that chapter is what we need to see to figure this out. Specifically the footnotes so we can actually get started on a literature review of paper's published. Until then I'll submit that with high quality equipment you don't have to go below 6v, but without it, you do.