1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are we sure a car from MD is CARB Approved and Pass Smog in CA?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by arek, Dec 7, 2012.

1. arek

arek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    'Bout to pull the trigger on a 2012 prius from Maryland. Build date 4/12 car has 1 mile on it!
    37777 OTD including CA TTL.

Well I'm worried that the car doesn't meet the CA standards. Is there anything different about the cars? I always notice that a catalytic converter for example is different for a CA car vs other states. Will we have a problem??
    Thanks!!

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    FWIW, I believe hybrids are still currently exempt from CA smog tests (Hybrid-Electric Vehicles Exempted From Initial Smog Check and
    Smog Information
    ). I didn't have to have my CA bought (in 06) Prius CA tested when I brought it back into CA after residing in WA and having it registered in WA state for about a year.

As for outside CA cars and CA smog tests, FWIW, I bought my former 02 Nissan Maxima and 04 350Z (both new) in WA state when I was living there. I brought them into CA when I moved back and was required to get them smog tested before registering them in CA. They both passed w/o any issue.

Are you in CA now? If so, I'd advise that you don't buy that car but instead one that was bought in and registered in CA (or CARB states) so that you get the benefit of the 10 year/150K mile HV battery warranty, 15 year/150K mile emissions warranty, etc.

3. Big Dude

Big Dude Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    On sticker it says it is certified in all 50 states.

lensovet likes this.
  4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For the OP, one should be able see the warranty I'm talking about by going to Toyota Online Owners Manuals and Technical Manuals and selecting 2012 Prius or 2012 Prius PHV (whichever car is tis) in the upper right then downloading the warranty guide...

I did some more thinking... are you buying this new? Is it from a CA dealer or another state, like MD? Will be registered initially in CA or another state?

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Maryland is a CARB state, since 2007, taking effect in Model Year 2011.

"The purpose of this chapter is to implement the requirements of the Maryland Clean Cars Act of 2007 by establishing regulations implementing California's motor vehicle emission standards"

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ahhh! Thanks. I do notice that mention of Maryland in the '12 Prius PHV (PiP) warranty booklet.

7. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    two things to clear up here:
    –Prius has been a 50-state vehicle since day 1. This applies to all models of the Prius.
    –The emissions warranty is determined by the state of registration and operation, not the state of purchase
    cwerdna: note that WA has been a CARB state for years, so it's not surprising that it passed CA smog without issue. also, while hybrids are in fact exempt, they must still be 50-state vehicles. i.e. it's possible that a LEV hybrid would be exempt but wouldn't be registerable in CA due to its high emissions (but i don't know if any such vehicles actually exist)

8. arek

arek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Welllll, I emailed the Maryland dealer regarding warranty and this is what he told me:

3 year 36000 miles on the entire car and 5 year 60000 mile warranty on the engine and transmission 8 year 100000 mile warranty on the hybrid battery and it's components.

IF Maryland is CARB, shouldn't the warranty be 150,000 miles??
    I'm thinking of killing the deal to chase after a car that will have 150,000 miles warranty on it.

9. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    please tell me you're not seriously trusting the dealer to tell you anything?

arek likes this.
  10. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    here's the warranty booklet. MD is one of the states.

Attached Files:

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If the above is true, it is unlikely to have helped the cars I bought in new 01 and 03 (02 Maxima, 04 350Z) in WA state.

We'd been thru this before re: earlier years. Example threads:
    2006 Prius battery warranty CARB State | Page 2 | PriusChat
    2006 Prius battery warranty CARB State | PriusChat,
    CARB - Why are PA and WA different | PriusChat

FWIW, when I moved from WA to back to CA in late 04, I was concerned that my 02 Maxima and 04 350Z (both purchased in WA) might not pass the CA smog test. They passed w/no issue.

From Washington Clean Car Information, it looks like WA state's stricter emissions didn't start until model year 09.

12. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
  13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Unfortunately, I don't any pics of the underhood stickers from those two cars bought outside in question so I don't know if they were actually 50 state cars or <=49 state cars.

Are you saying that cars brought in from outside CA by non-CA residents are therefore given an easier smog test? I was required to get those two cars smog tested when I brought them into CA, in order to register them w/the CA DMV.

(My Prius that I bought new in January 06 in CA, that later went to WA and came back to CA didn't require any CA smog tests because hybrids are still exempt from that.)

14. arek

arek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    LOL this really made my morning guys! I love this forum. This dealer is so uninformed about along with many others!!
    Haha this was funny!

Arek

15. arek

arek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

During my research, I did see mentions about special considerations for cars that were registered and used outside CA. I mean the state can't make people now moving to CA to get rid of their cars.

In my case, I'm a CA resident and the first place the car will register is CA.

Love the above post though about warranty info on MD cars. Looks like I'm going to pull the trigger.

What is interesting thought that Wikipedia under CARB approved states seems to omit MD??!!

All the feedback would be much appreciated!

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a reminder to other readers that WA and PA are only partial-CARB states, which is why the warranty book lists them separately from the other CARB states.

At least that is how both my Liftbacks were rated, I haven't seen the warranties for the PIP / 'c' / 'v'.

17. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's worth repeating so I quoted it. It doesn't matter what a car dealer or manufacturer or someone on the Intertubes says, read Lensoverts link carefully.

18. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, used cars brought into the state by nonresidents get a different smog test.
    It's kind of interesting to find this out now, because my dad had traded in his Nissan Sentra for an 04 Prius back in 2004 because he thought the Sentra wouldn't pass CA smog (he knew we were going to move already).

19. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Wikipedia could easily be out of date.
    Given that the warranty booklet that comes with the car should be more or less the final word, I think you're good to go. …

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It might be a good idea to have a CARB FAQ sticky in the ENVIRO thread.
    One thing I am confused about if Northern Virginia is now CARB...saw that somewhere.