1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are we Undermining the Safety of American GI's

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Sep 20, 2006.

1. dragonfire_777

dragonfire_777 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 20 2006, 07:00 AM) [snapback]322193[/snapback]</div>
    First of all you asked two questions. The first can be a YES / NO question but what standard are you referring to, a lower one or a higher one? The second one is an essay question and assumes a yes to the first question. So I'll say YES to the first question and here's my essay.

Can we possibly put our men and women more in harms way than they are now? When will they get a plan other than "Go on patrols, stop the bombings, stop the insurgency, stop the sectarian violence and try not to get killed." Sounds a lot like Vietnam.

From an intelligence gathering perspective, what we have been watching is America sinking to the level of it's opponents. With Bush's reasoning on what constitutes fair interrogation techniques, there could be some threat down the road that might just require let's say hmmmm..... dismemberment? Gouging eyes out? Mutilation? After, all I'm doing it to protect the American people. It's only one more step until we say "We have no evidence to show you're guilty but we think you're guilty, we KNOW you're guilty. Therefore we'll just execute you now to speed up the process."

George already has everyone wetting in their pants :( every time he says BOO! or OSAMA! or TERRORIST! These bad paople are out there and they are a threat to us. But...if we have to sink to their level of behavior and use the excuse "Well, they did it to me first, Mom!" then they've already won. I'm not referring to individual acts by soldiers in difficult situations. I'm referring to the systematic destruction of American principles and extending from that the loss of rights guarenteed by the Constitution.

George loves to use the image of Hitler when trying to illustrate who our enemies are and who they resemble. Hitler used fear tactics to whittle away at the German Parliment until they just signed everything over to him and his gang of thugs and murderers. If I'm not mistaken, our Congress is bending over backwards to do the same for George ... right now!. What ever happened to the separation of powers, checks and balances? The Constitution? :blink:

To my mind some of the tactics Hitler used can be found a lot closer to home than Iran or Iraq. Darn! I promised myself I'd stay out of these political discussions ... oh well. Just call me a non-treehuggin', soldier lovin', non-neocon.

2. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfire @ Sep 21 2006, 12:21 PM) [snapback]322858[/snapback]</div>
    I have a difficult time repsonding to people who banty about Hitler in their conversations.

Bush wants Congress to define how to go about this - it is not him or him alone that determines guidelines of interegation. If we don't sink to their level - the US soldiers you care so much about are not at greater danger? The fact that you do not seem to back checks and balances based on the enemies conduct on and off the field of battle places our people in greater harm - no? Is it fear or reality - how many American POW's have the IRC spoken to? Last time I looked every American POW was murdered and mutilated.

And you are aware the Executive has the ultimate wartime powers as provided for in the Constitition.

Lastly - name ONE right that has been taken from you? Just one please. If you cant name one then please refrain from the hysteria.

How do you define your love and concern for US soldiers?

3. hybridTHEvibe

hybridTHEvibe New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 21 2006, 12:44 PM) [snapback]322874[/snapback]</div>
    then don't respond.
    and if you really have to then only intelligent responses please.

4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hybridTHEvibe @ Sep 21 2006, 12:48 PM) [snapback]322876[/snapback]</div>
    I understand - you are defenseless on all my points - cant name ONE "right" you lost although you complain about it non-stop. you "love" the American GI but do not stand for one action or policy that would protect him/her in combat - that is except your belief in cut and run and retreat and declare an American defeat - how many times were you for an INCREASE in the defense budget? - etc, etc.

you can create your own reality - you cannot create facts.

have a nice day. consider donating something to a charity taking care of wounded US soldiers or pen-palling with one.

5. tazman

tazman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have 26+ years and counting in the Military. It's my chosen career. I feel the fact that being Americans, we will always be in harms way. Being in the middle of a combat zone, no matter where, puts our Military men and women as well as civilians at much greater risk. Our Countries standards will never be one that any enemy of the U.S. will be willing to meet, so why should we try to change them.

It is up to the powers that be, the ones that we as a people voted in, to help protect those in the combat zone to the best of their ability. At times those in power have hindered this ability, whether it be for political or personal reasons. This makes it hard for the average citizen to be able to do anything to help those in combat. Using your right to vote is the first step.

I don't claim to be an intelligent person, but these are some of my thoughts. It may or may not have answered you questions, but in truth, only you can say what "your correct" response would be to these questions.

One thing, those are very thought provoking questions.

6. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tazman @ Sep 21 2006, 01:27 PM) [snapback]322899[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you for your service to country. My understanding is that during warfare American soldiers have always been allowed that flexability to meet the enemy at whatever level of combat, if necessary, that the enemy defines. This has happened in WWI, WWII, etc. And other countries like the Soviet Union did meet our standards and did indeed sign the Geneva Conventions after WWII. Why should we afford al-Qaeda and other terror groups "nation status" and protections of the Geneva Conventions when they have yet to sign them or even at a minimun follow their guidelines?? By doing both of these are we placing our troops in greater danger than necessary?

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 21 2006, 11:57 AM) [snapback]322883[/snapback]</div>
    That's totally unfair and uncalled for.

He's not defenseless. He made sound points, you just don't agree...that's not the same as defenseless.

You pull this "name one "right" you've lost" gig all the time. We repeated tell you about the progressive infringements upon our rights such as the illegal wire taps (as ruled by the federal courts...whether you agree with that ruling or not is irrelevant b/c their ruling IS Law until determined otherwise). Also of concern is the open seeking of more power by means of changing the laws granted us in the constitution. I, for one, will not sit idlely by until those laws are passed before I start complaining, I'll protest against them before it passes that I've lost my rights....if I don't I may no longer have the right to protest!

Show me where 'The vibe' said he didn't stand for 'one action or policy that would protect [the soldiers] in combat' or that he suggests this mysterious "cut and run" (a term, btw, I've only heard used by the Right)--Unfair claims irrelevent to his post you're calling into question.

And finally, the "charity" I contribute a substantial portion of my income to to treat wounded soldiers is the Federal Gov't...they should be doing the job. The republican controlled congress has had 6+ years to make that happen, but apparently aren't doing it adequately...

8. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 21 2006, 12:44 PM) [snapback]322874[/snapback]</div>
    Dude, have you read the Constitution? I have and I saw no reference in there to the President having ultimate wartime powers. In fact, it's written very carefully to make sure no one branch has "ultimate power" at any given time. If, on the other hand, there's a court case that makes your claim true, feel free to point me to it. If you can.

And speaking of court cases ...
    I refer you to the Supreme Court case of Hamdi v Rumsfeld. To sum it up (thanks to LandmarkCases.org)
    Effectively, the government was trying to deny an American citizen his 5th Amenendment rights. Good enough for you?

9. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Sep 21 2006, 01:44 PM) [snapback]322914[/snapback]</div>
    I see the word "trying" in your answer. So according to you, that right still exists for all of us?? And you should read the powers granted the Executive during wartime - see what Lincoln, FDR, etc were able to do and indeed did do during war.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 21 2006, 12:38 PM) [snapback]322909[/snapback]</div>
    I think your two main points here are unrelated...I suspect you disagree, but let me try, once again, to explain....
    1)I do not think we should grant "nation status"...however, I think we should continue to treat all parties we enter combat with under the guidelines we agreed to under the Conventions. If for no other reason that to avoid sending mixed messages to our troops about right and wrong wartime behavior. While the way react in different war time situations must, necessarily, vary, our basic values and respect for human rights must not.

2)By following the guidelines of the Geneva Conventions we are not, in any way, placing our troops in greater danger...in fact, I put to you to answer how you came up with the premise that we are. The enemy is immoral, vicious and hateful....if we stoop to their level it will only serve as greater propaganda to stir the hatered, aid in recruiting and perhaps even escalate their violent behavior against US forces.

3)Acting in a similar immoral manner will create greater confusion amongst the civilians about who is the enemy, who is dangerous...do you think they'd be more likely to choose the immoral invader who is a Christian from a far away Western Culture that they don't understand or a neighbor who speaks the same language, shares the same skin color, follows their same cultural and religious beliefs. Their both indiscriminate torturers and killers, but you've gotta side with one of them...which do you think they'd choose?

4)In Vietnam some of our troops did act in immoral ways. The impact on those at home was tremendous and it turned much of the US against not only the war but against our troops. I firmly believe that Americans want to support our troops no matter their beliefs about the politicians who sent them to war. But if those same troops start doing things that are against the values and morals that we hold dear that that support will turn against the troops, the war, the leaders...and ultimately lead to loss of support....and that will, undoubtedly, put our troops in the greatest danger of all.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 21 2006, 12:52 PM) [snapback]322919[/snapback]</div>
    So what...if they 'try' to take away the freedom of speach we can't complain...only until it's truely and permanantly gone? Then, of course, we can't complain b/c we don't have that right.

11. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 21 2006, 01:52 PM) [snapback]322919[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, the government did deny this American his rights for 3 years until the Supreme Court ruled in 2004. If they're willing to deny one citizen his rights, then we need to be on our guard that it doesn't happen to others. I've never been robbed, either. Should I stop locking my door at night?

And, as for the powers granted the Executive during wartime ... no mention. Just that "Commander in Chief" thing. Now, for what it says about habeas corpus (which everyone is so fond of bringing up), according to Article I, section 9 (that's the Legislative Branch, by the way):
    Yes, Lincoln suspended it. And it was challenged in court & overturned in 1861(Ex parte Merryman). Lincoln ignored the order until Congress passed the Habeus Corpus Act of 1863.

By the way, the Constitution also says that only Congress can declare war.

You continue to claim that the President has "ultimate wartime power". I say prove it. Show me a court case. Show me the Constitutional passage. Don't come at me with cases where other Presidents have done it and say, "they did it, so it's true". You ask us to prove what rights we've lost, I ask you to prove the President has "ultimate power". Fair enough?

12. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 21 2006, 09:25 AM) [snapback]322797[/snapback]</div>
    Oh NOW you want an explanation of the answer? When you get one, you say, only answer the question. When you get an answer to the question, then you want an explanation. First remove the colonoscope out of your rear, then take a deep breath and calm down.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 21 2006, 10:35 AM) [snapback]322826[/snapback]</div>
    Your son would be better off serving in Iraq to protect the americans from Iraqis who are trying to nuke america.

13. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 21 2006, 01:57 PM) [snapback]322924[/snapback]</div>
    1. i would not confer rights under the GC until they sign them and follow their guidelines (without signing them and following the guidelines would be ok too). you ever sign a contract and have the other party to it be free to ad lib??
    2. you are wrong again - their own people hate them more than we do already. by hamstringing our troops and not allowing them to fight on the same level as our mortal enemies we are tying one hand behind their backs. We cut of japanese heads after they cut off American heads of POWS - that stopped that quickly. I would always act on the side of protecting our forces. How can the escalate the violance any further. They are alientating their own people - they kill more of them than of us. and you have as of yet failed to explain to me how Article III of the GC applies to this conflict in any facet.
    3. says all you need to know about how you think and your default beliefs about this country. and i know a number of Jewish American GI's in Iraq and even several atheists. Accusing American GI's of indescriminate murder and torture is disgusting - but again - explains a lot about you and your natural default settings when it comes to this country.
    4. almost like abu graib -- the press loves to blow anti-America stuff way our of proportion. I wish that they played the stories about those murdered mutilated American POW's 1/100 they did of abu graib. Your premise is wrong again - there are a number of people here including the press that are anti-American and would love to see us bi**h slapped and love seeing our casualty #'s increase, love all the bad news, etc...
    The only values and morals in warfare are those that both sides practice by - that is the point. And the only way we lose this war is due to 5th columnists like people here, the press or politicians - just like Vietnam.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Sep 21 2006, 02:21 PM) [snapback]322948[/snapback]</div>
    So as an attorney you can not find one "right" which has been taken away from a single American since 9/11/2001?

14. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 21 2006, 03:23 PM) [snapback]322990[/snapback]</div>
    I see we're back to the old playbook. You can't answer my question about "ultimate power", so you ask me to disprove your point. How unoriginal. :rolleyes:

By the way, I've answered your question. His name is Yaser Esam Hamdi. His 5th Amendment rights were denied for 3 years. He was subsequently released to Saudi Arabia and asked to revoke his citizenship.

Not bad for a software engineer with a simple Bachelors degree and access to Google, huh?

Now, how about filling me in on that "ultimate power" thing. C'mon. You can do it. Then again, maybe you can't.

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 21 2006, 02:23 PM) [snapback]322990[/snapback]</div>
    I never suggested we grant them any 'rights'...I'm just saying we should act under the values we've agreed to under the GCs. You can disagree, but that's where my values and yours differ.

This is not a question of who's right or wrong...though clearly you'd like to see it that way. And, if you already know all the answers why ask the question. And as to "how can they escalate any more"...I assure you they can and would given adequate personnel and resources. The personel would come from seeing us as the 'ugly Americans' and allowing them to begin to distrust and hate us more than the terrorists.

I'm going to politely assume you've simply misinterpretted what I said...perhaps clouded by your own views of how you believe others thing. But I was not accusing our troops of indiscriminate murder or torture (though there have been some recent convictions for that due to rape and murder of civilians by our troops in Iraq--but seriously I was not refering to that at all). I was refering only to the hypothetical of allowing our troops to stoop to the immoral levels of our enemy and the potential consequences of such an abandonment of our morals.

Let's recall, shall we, that I have served my country in uniform. I have appropriate and first hand knowledge of our military and have the utmost respect for the military. I also know that our troops are young, impressionable and human. If our leadership can't lead by demonstration of the ethical and moral standards that we stand for as a country that the troops will follow that lead...to their own and our countries doom.

Blame the press and ignore the facts...makes it nice clean and tidy for you.
    Just like Vietman we went into something with no objective, no way out, and no plan to win. And if we take the next step of allowing the troops to abandon our values you will see a huge turn around of support.

I support my troops as long as they support the values of my country. But if my leaders and my troops abandon those values I cannot, in good conscious, support them. I support the troops. I support much of what Bush and the leadership is currently doing in Iraq. I support staying in Iraq until it is stable....hell, I support sending more troops to make it possible to achive victory instead of this steady-state condition we're in now.

P.S. I'll let the attack on my character and values slide this once, but please stick to presenting your opinions and counterpoints to my arguements directly rather than resorting to attacks on me as an individual...if that's something you're able to do.

16. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Sep 21 2006, 03:36 PM) [snapback]323001[/snapback]</div>
    Still waiting ....

(but not holding my breath, either)

17. dragonfire_777

dragonfire_777 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 21 2006, 12:23 PM) [snapback]322990[/snapback]</div>
    I love those folks that call anyone who disagrees with them anti-american. I disagree with your myopic view of what the executive branch has perpetrated on citizens concerning illegal phone taps (the Supreme Courts desision). I disagree that we should do to the enemy what they do to us. ie beheadings. I disagree with with your calling folks posting here 5th columnists. I can call you a dupe of the Bush administration but I won't call you anti-american. Why??? Because my dad and a lot of other brave men and women turned back that guy you don't want me to mention but George does anyway ... HITLER! So you still have the right to express your opinion. Calling people that disagree with you, anti-american, is well ... anti-american. :rolleyes:

Your reference to Vietnam may be the fact (an educated guess here) returning soldiers were treated like lepers or worse when they came home. You're right, they were and it was wrong to treat them that way because the fact was they were being sent by their governmant to a shredding machine called Vietnam where the last thing our government did was jump into a helicopter from the top of the embassy and left people they had called friends and allies to stand there waving goodbye. But I digress ... <_<

I live in Arizona, home to Senator McCaine. I'm not a fan of his but it was good to see a few senators stand up to Bush, Cheney and Rummy and made them blink .. well sort of. I guess you think they're anti-american, 5th columnists too. And it's just dumb (not anti-american) to take the position that folks protesting the US involvement in Iraq want to see higher casualty counts and love the bad news. I say involvement because WAR has not been declared by Congress.

Why do we (well I anyway) protest? So there are no more higher casualty reports, no more bad news. Because our soldiers are in the new shredding machines called Iraq and Afghanistan and now it has to be finished somehow. Unfortunately, high casualies counts and bad news illustrate the continuing lack of understanding this administration had and still has of the countries, peoples and tribal dynamics in the middle east. Our soldiers are paying the price for that continued lack of understanding.

George says, "Stay the course". Well to do that, you need a rudder a plan, an idea. I don't think the entire administration has even one paddle, one rudder let alone one real idea between them. I just hope we don't see this administration jump on the last helicopter out waving goodbye to the people we called friends and allies. :(

18. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Sep 21 2006, 03:36 PM) [snapback]323001[/snapback]</div>
    You still cant name one "right" you have lost or any American has lost? Come on - its been 5 years of constant drumming and pounding about lost "rights" etc, etc and you cannot name one you dont have that you had 6 years ago.

Hamdi was a US citizen?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 21 2006, 03:41 PM) [snapback]323006[/snapback]</div>
    I apologize for any personal attacks - never my intent.

Who determines the values of your country? You? The majority of American's? The Supreme Court?

And we agree that we should send my troops and just do it instead of doing the Vietnam thing and fighting for a draw.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfire @ Sep 22 2006, 01:28 PM) [snapback]323457[/snapback]</div>
    Which SC decision are you referring to? Who did not declare War - my impression was that both Houses voted in the affirmative for War?

You can protest - that is very American - I just think that protests that put American troops who are in harms way in great potential danger is wrong. And you worry about short term casualties - me to. How many died in one hour in NYC 5 years ago? How many could die tomorrow when they get through our porous borders next time. The casualty counts are not high - not even close to being high - in fact have been extraordinarily low compared to other conflicts. And it is not just tribes we are fighting - it is an ideology with a long and well established history of spreading conflict throughout the entire world.

19. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 22 2006, 01:49 PM) [snapback]323471[/snapback]</div>
    Once more for the people in the cheap seats. But this time I'll say it slowly for you.

Yaser ... Esam ... Hamdi ... was ... a ... US ... Citizen ... whose ... 5th ... Amendment ... rights ... were ... denied ... him ... from ... 2001 ... to ... 2004.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 22 2006, 01:49 PM) [snapback]323471[/snapback]</div>
    Ayup. Check it out here. It's not a very long read.

And you still haven't backed up your continued assertion that the President has "ultimate wartime power". If it's so obvious you should have no trouble at all. Or you can keep ducking the question. Your choice.

20. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is there some reason we give this guy so much of our time? He offers no cogent thought on anything he says: it's simply rant and obfuscate. Facts and research are not his strong suit. Does anybody think he will ever say, "Good point there! I hadn't thought of that." He's a brick-brain with no posibility of reaching an agreement with anybody. Don't you all get tired of beating your heads against a wall?

There is no debate here. He talks in endless circles, never settling on any one thing until clarity is reached. He's an empty sail taking you nowhere. Better you should argue with your dog. It's like a junior-high school debate. Any good subject that comes along, he jumps in and ruins it with dumb, ad hominem rhetoric.

The man gets too much time off from the clinic. Wonder why medical costs are so high? This guy is eternally on PriusChat. I suggest we start him on the path to a new life. Ignore him on this site. Let him talk to himself. It's not that we are afraid of his logic, he has none. You're never going to get smarter talking to him. He is the visible symptom of the idiocy running this country.

Treat the man like the troll he is and let's move on to something more fruitful. Hell, I'd rather discuss pulse and glide than listen to any more of this. There is no requirement to respond to his banter, no matter how easy it is. It just feeds him and keeps him going one more day, makes him feel important. He probably tells all his friend [sic] what an intellectual force he is here. Put his name on your "Ignore" list and go smell the flowers. I've never seen a clearer example of a black hole: everything goes in, nothing comes out.

I love a good argument where there is give and take. Responding to him is a form of self-abuse.

Please take this in the friendly manner I intended. Nothing personal here! Hope I didn't offend anyone...:p