1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are we Undermining the Safety of American GI's

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Sep 20, 2006.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Sep 22 2006, 02:16 PM) [snapback]323481[/snapback]</div>
    Too much trail mix.

Cant wait for NoKo to get that distance it needs to threaten CA. Would not want you to use any defensive weapons systems you probably protested against like Star Wars. Enjoy going to sleep at night knowing NoKo can AT&T you (or will be able to soo) and you are relying on a shield that has to rely on millions if not billions of lines of software coding and all you need is one little mistake...

Pulse and glide on that.

And you are free to ignore this or seek group affirmation of your own views.

This is community service for me.

My friends still refuse to believe i bought a Prius - and now I know why :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Sep 22 2006, 02:02 PM) [snapback]323475[/snapback]</div>
    You still are not getting it. Name one " right " you do not have today that you had six years ago - p l e a s e.

What do you mean Hamdi was a US citizen? Jeez almost like some people are wrongly convicted of murder - tell me now - you are not screaming and protesting about not arresting people who kill others, are you :lol:

2. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 22 2006, 02:30 PM) [snapback]323488[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, I get it, Doc. You're not getting the answers you like, so you're going to keep changing the questions.
    • You got 3 simple answers to your original post and whined that no one answered your questions. [attachmentid=5103]
    • You respond to reasoned, rational discussion by saying you can only handle simple answers and then respond to simple answers by saying you want intelligent answers. [attachmentid=5100]
    • You claim the President has "ultimate wartime powers" (your words, not mine), but flat out refuse to back it up.
    • You challenged us to find one right that's been taken away from one American. I found it. I've listed his name and the relevant court case.
    • After I name it, you persisted in your "name a right that any American has lost" vein. So I named him again.
    • Now it's the same old "name one right that you don't have". Since I never claimed to have lost a right, you're barking up the wrong tree. I've got a shiny gold star for you if you can prove I did make that claim.
    And as for what I mean, I mean Hamdi was a US Citizen when he was detained and denied his 5th Amendment rights. He's no longer a citizen, so if he's ever picked up again all bets are off.

As for your ridiculous comment about arresting suspected murders ... we don't deny them their 5th Amendment rights if they're citizens.

Attached Files:

3. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 20 2006, 09:00 AM) [snapback]322193[/snapback]</div>

We should let ourselves fall to the deepest depths of dishonor dictated by the pursuit of victory.

4. zapranoth

zapranoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Would everyone kindly ignore the troll? And quit bringing up his MD, if that's what he has. It's embarrassing me, and he's not acting in that capacity in this forum.

What's right is right, and what's wrong is wrong. Period, the end!

This country has agreed to abide by the Geneva convention. Google it and read it if you aren't familiar. If you haven't been convinced that we are doing things in this war that are contrary to this convention, your eyes and ears are stapled shut.

Why is it suddenly okay, in our leaders' eyes, to so conveniently lay aside this policy of human rights in the name of war on terror? And this is only one example of our current leaders choosing to ignore precedents of world order. Whether you call it arrogance, imperialism, or an eye for an eye, it's still wrong. Period, the end.

And Evan, whatever you do, keep trying to patiently explain it to this berman guy. It's like watching a person trying to keep his grip on an electric fence. Sorta Jackass-like fun for me... =) "Heh heh. Gonna go down the hill in the shopping cart, get real hurt!"

5. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 21 2006, 02:23 PM) [snapback]322990[/snapback]</div>
    My own interpretation is that the Geneva Conventions grant protections to prisoners of war, rather granting them 'rights', and that the nations who have signed the Geneva Conventions have agreed to grant those protections to prisoners without regard to whether the prisoners' government or leadership has subscribed to the Geneva Conventions. It's a matter of promising 'I will behave this way', not 'I will behave this way if and only if you behave the same way'. It's like the Golden Rule - Do unto others as you would have them do unto you - no mention of a quid pro quo.

6. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Sep 22 2006, 01:16 PM) [snapback]323481[/snapback]</div>
    I think most people responding are probably talking to each other, rather than assuming they'll influence the OP!

7. NoSpam

NoSpam Junior Member

Illegal combatants and war criminals do not have the same rights as uniformed solders under the Geneva Conventions.

There is a big difference between terrorists and uniformed solders...

Best regards,
    NoSpam

8. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that now more than ever, we are ALL combatants.

I mean, long ago the battle was decided on the battlefield, by the people with the weapons. But now it's decided in the factory and by the computer programmer and consultant...who are quite often now part of the private sector.

Most of the labor to build all the stuff we fight with happens right here in the USA...which means that lots of everyday folk are actually directly involved with the war effort.

Far more so than, say, the average Iraqi.

They're just, for the most part, trying to stay out of the way...and aren't commuting to their job rebuilding Hummers or making bullets or desiging fighterjets or whatever.

I wonder if that makes US contractors here at home legitimate targets. My intuition says yes. So they're not uniformed soldiers...but they do seem to be legal combatants.

I mean, they're willingly engaged in the war effort and have not disguised themselves in an attempt to conceal that involvement or incite confusion about whom they're "fighting" for...right?

Sounds like a legal combatant to me, or am I mistaken?