1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

are windows XP safe to use?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Former Member 68813, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have this old laptop that i keep in case i need to use techstream. sometimes i like to use it for checking email and light web browsing (i'm using it now, LOL). I only use it at home, behind a router (they have hardware firewall functions, right?) Is it safe? I keep AV and anti-spyware current and nothing shows up.
    I also use windows XP PC at work that is always connected to network. Even though I was issued a brand new windows 7 PC, i can't use it yet, because some of the work software can't work on the new PC. fortunately, we are transitioning to a new software soon.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I still use xp, many of the browser functions won't support newer updated websites. If you can stand it, I'm sure it won't be an issue using it

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use an old XP (actually Linux, but with XP running in Virtualbox) laptop. I turn off the wifi before starting up XP. I once got a virus on XP while I was installing it before I even had a chance to install antivirus software and that was behind a pretty serious firewall.

RCO likes this.
  4. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    that's not a problem, i'm using up to date firefox browser.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I use XP at events with no internet, but I am no longer using it with internet access.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    With the chrome browser, it won't even load PC site

7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Who the heck was it said: A little knowledge is a very dangerous thing?
    The more I read, the truer that seems to get. (n):barefoot:

8. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  9. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I still use windows 98 on the internet, viruses crash due to lack of support ;)

bwilson4web likes this.
  10. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ???

good to know, thanks!

i don't know if you're joking here. believe it or not, we still use one widows 2000 (anyone remembers this, no it's not Win Millenium) PC at work. it's hardwired with an expensive lab equipment and would cost $200,000+ to replace. it's disconnected from the web though.

11. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I had a similar scenario, on a campus that was all gigabit ethernet (1000baseT) I had one PC with old thinnet (10base2) connection to a piece of lab equipment we could not replace economically. The PC had to run at 4.77 Mhz or the software had timing issues. By 2002, it was getting harder and harder to find PCs that could run that slow.

I did not dislike Win2000 on desktops, it was hell on laptops. Win ME was always hell. (if my client's PC became infected and I cleaned it up, ME restored the virus from the recovery files) You could always go back to 98 and clean it there.

The best and brightest worked on 2000, the other Microsofties worked on ME.

12. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems that some people don't yet understand the risk from malicious attack. It's not all about losing your files or ransomware. Malicious hackers can and do break into PC systems that are security flawed and no longer updated despite firewalls (and modem firewalls can be easy to crack) without being obvious and can then use it anonimously to spread and spam and conduct criminal activity. You may be happy with that, but the next few people down the line might lose out very badly because you didn't give a damn. Hope that explains my concern. I know the old systems will perform useful tasks for some things, but believe me they are like a loose cannon if they connect to the internet.

13. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Good reason to connect and manually disconnect the system so it doesn't sit online long and since it's hooked up via dialup the hackers ability to transfer any significant amount data with it would take hours and any connections are immediately noticed dianosed

14. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree the risk in your case may be small, but it's not impossible!
    You will not be able to detect a modern hack attack. From UK there is very little dial up internet still available but these things can come in small electronic packages and only activate when they link up. I hope you keep safe. :)

15. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Hack are easy to see data going in or out are screen readable, if transmission is occurring when none is demanded it means someone is doing something.

16. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm waiting to hear from the guy who still sends smoke signals. But smoke doesn't make sounds - suppose I need to look out the window?

17. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I still have several XP boxes that I use at work to communicate with telecom equipment, but there's no way I would connect one of these machines to the interwebs, nor would I ever advise ANYONE to use an XP box for any internet activity except possibly to visit sites that require no keystrokes, which I guess is possible but why would one do this????

I have 2 old boxes at home that run rather well on Linux.
    It requires very little effort and knowledge to change the operating system, and for those that do not wish to go that route, a chrome box or chrome book can be had for less than $200.

There simply IS NO good reason left to mix XP with internet.
    Of course.......people still smoke, drink and drive, and eat cheeseburgers.

I guess we're only human.

jerrymildred and RCO like this.
  18. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL. It never ceases to amaze me that while having precious little knowledge of IT security risks folks still think they can actually 'see' and read a binary algorithm entering their machines via the screen.

19. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In a related note, I installed a Windowed version of the BBQ Judge Score-keeping program last night. We will test it April 9 at the Ham Jam, my wife will score the contest on the new App, the official score will be on the DOS Box app. May 1st at Hogs for the Cause may be the last time we use XP for BBQ scores. (Our contests rarely have internet access)

20. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    good arguments, but I wonder why our IT folks are not worried about it.