1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are you happy with the quality?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by xop, Mar 29, 2017.

1. xop

xop Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do not currently own a Prius but am in the market. I would be coming from Honda (by way of VW). I have to say I am disappointed in the quality coming from Honda - already have rattles in ~14 months of ownership, paint is very thin, random electrical glitches, and the materials just don't seem to be holding up that well.

How would you describe the quality of your 4th gen Prius (any comparisons are helpful)? I am not looking for MB or Audi-like as I obviously understand the price point. I would say my older VW scored very high in the durability and quality of build (mechanical and electrical reliability was another issue ha) - materials looked great years in, no rattles, and so on.

Does your Prius seem durable? Well put-together? Or does it seem like a lot of corners were cut, cheap materials used, etc? Any advice or insight would be helpful, thanks!

Data Daedalus, raspy and Priifan like this.
  2. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It's the nicest care I've ever owned. Until now, I've owned several GM vehicles (cars and trucks). I had a Chrysler minivan. I did get the top level four trim. Until my divorce I had to buy American. It's my choice now. The stereo is nice. The seats seem like they'll last a while. The headliner is somewhat questionable as are the carpets... but so are many others. The doors close quietly, if you go for that sort of thing. The car runs quietly. The engine doesn't seem to labor much and I live in the mountains with lots of ups and downs. The auto wipers are great. I haven't had any rattles. And my car has passed the backing into the garage door test with the hatch open with no major problems. ;)

Nothing seems all that cheap to me. Nothing exudes quality but it doesn't look like anything will be wanting to wear out. I got the white pearl. Most all of my cars have been white and this is the first finish I've had that sucks mud out of the air. You should get red or blue. ;)

Data Daedalus, Priifan, RCO and 3 others like this.
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe because you have the Four. The seats in my Two are terrible for a long (3 hour +) trip. Perhaps they built the seats to last, not be comfortable.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'd be hard pressed to say it's better than honda in the context you are talking about, some might say not as good. build reliability might be slightly better on the whole, not sure.

kithmo, RCO and Kramah313 like this.
  5. xop

xop Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have heard complaints about the seats in Prii before but they should be OK for my needs. I also would get the 4 which has power seats incl adjustable lumbar (I think) - my current car does not have power seats or adjustable lumbar which was a bad move on my part.

I have a HR-V, EX (mid-level trim). Several things are annoying me about it - dash rattles, fabric door panels look terrible, paint is chipped down to the metal in several spots, just discovered surface rust under the seat (on seat rails). Random electric glitches - most annoyingly with the door locks which presents a safety issue. Not too worried about other random stuff like radio etc. Although it does get great MPG (29.8mpg avg) and has great cargo hauling capacity.

#5 xop, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  6. Neohippy

Neohippy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I own a 2011 Prius 2 and a 2013 PIP advanced. Both are the same car but my Advanced is so much nicer since it's fully loaded. The advanced with softex seats and lumbar is much more comfortable. I have owned many Hondas also. I think the build quality is similar and unfortunately both have very thin paint. I live in Florida and if you don't take care of the paint it will be ruined quickly.

Data Daedalus and xop like this.
  7. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Generally it's good - though I complained about the panel gap either side of the tailgate - TOYOTA said it was acceptable. Other panel gaps are good. My KIA or Thai FORD had better panel gaps. (Though not my South African made FORD - PRIUS is better than that.) Interior trim seems serviceable, normal "TOYOTA" level, though I agree about head-lining - I've a couple of scuff marks made by clean hands touching it when reaching for the sun-visors.

Left
    upload_2017-3-30_4-57-13.png
    Right
    upload_2017-3-30_4-58-20.png

The door sills are a stupid design - they get dirty really easily, and it stands out. The sill itself doesn't have a seal between it and the open air and road dirt.

No rattles, it's a quiet drive. I think in USA you get a radio with knobs which works much better than the poor touch-screen we get - I far prefer designs with real knobs and real buttons which you can feel for, but I notice other manufacturers have fallen for the same folly. I'll certainly be on the lookout for a better design next time.

Seats are OK - not good, not bad - I've had worse, and better. I took a while to find the "right" position with height, angle, steering wheel position, lumbar adjustments. Check they suit your shape.

Data Daedalus and RCO like this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm also "coming from Honda", and one thing that struck me was how rapidly rust built up on the underbody of our Prius, on suspension components, bolts, and misc. coarse-thread fasteners. I'm changing the oil on a couple of Hondas too, and that company is using tricks to prevent rusting, a lot better. Maybe galvanizing suspension components, better bolt coatings? Not sure what, but Toyota seem to have almost zero rust preventative measures under there. Everything happily blooming rust. o_O It's ok if you keep vigilant, clean things and lube everything you can reach with wax/oil treatment.

Data Daedalus and edspecR like this.
  9. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do they salt your roads for snow? I had a look under mine after someone posted photos, and it all looked fine - if it snows here, it'll be a new ice-age set in.

@alanclarkeau merged. Don't post back to back. Use multi quote when replying or if adding to a previous post, just edit it like your original one was still editable

Reliability - PRIUS has come near the top of reliability surveys over many years, up with LEXUS, AUDI.

#9 alanclarkeau, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2017
    Data Daedalus, RCO and xop like this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes they do salt. And it's often wet snow, or mix of rain and snow. But Hondas in the same environment fair better by far.

To be fair, it could be new regulations regarding coatings. Someone was saying it was getting worse, due to some coatings being banned, carcinogenic?

11. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Alan. Sorry to hear about Typhoon Debbie and assume you have got through it all ok.(y)

12. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I understand they salt the water in your air too. :LOL: Blame the ocean.

Data Daedalus and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm on my second Prius. My 2006 went 200 K in 10 years and then I gave it to my grandson. The 2006, I never did anything except oil change. Yep nothing! The new gen 4 is a upgrade in most everything. It's always been know to be a reliably car and low maintenance. There must be somewhere you can find statistics that compare cars.

Data Daedalus, Priifan and RCO like this.
  14. djSyndrome

djSyndrome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2016 Two (NiMH battery) w/ 7k miles in six months. Zero issues, no defects on delivery. We're primarily a Subaru family, and this is the first Toyota we've had in awhile, but so far I'm impressed.

15. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    She made landfall about 1000km north of me - but has swooped south as a rain depression via the inland, arrived yesterday, gentle rain, heavy overnight, they reckon she'll fizzle by tonight. We needed the rain - but would have been nicer spread over a couple of weeks instead of a couple of days.

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sorry but this is a red-flag-to-a-bull to me: maybe caution him to get the brakes inspected.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well to be fair, it is the lowest cost SUV in the Honda lineup. I'm not saying it's a guarantee but there's a possibility that your experience with Honda would be better if you had an Accord or a Pilot.

e.g. if someone bought a 2004 Camry vs. a 2004 Prius. The Camry is much better built at that time with tight tolerances and plenty of soft touch plastic. The Prius had hard plastic and is put together with clips rather than screws (You can take the passenger side out without any tools. I've done that to install an iPod/AUX unit to the rear of the stereo as well as the EV mod). Someone who bought the Prius may be disappointed with the rattles due to the clips but someone who bought the Camry may be satisfied at the build quality.

That being said, the Gen 4 Prius does appear, at first glance, better put together. The body itself uses a Lexus method of Laser Screw Welding which allows for stronger and stiffer joints where panels meet, hopefully resulting in less torsional weakening as the car ages. (e.g. my car has never been in an accident but the rear hatch has shifted oh-so-slightly that it's slightly rubbing against the body - I can see scuff marks on the hatch door. It's because my condo's garage entrance is steep and I do twist the car's body as I exit and turn right. I can hear things flexing. I try to reduce the number of times I exit that way).

18. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yea I would say the same thing BS. But many Gen 2 owners that aren't nut drivers have the same brake life. Actually some where there's a Toyota claim that a very large percentage never did brakes. I drive to be light on the brakes. That said my commute with that car was 40 miles of highway, and very little city. If your light on the pedal the braking in regen. The harder you press the more friction brakes are used.

I hope the Gen 4 is as good on the pads.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We never changed the brakes on our 2005 (although it has fewer miles than Tom's). If you remember Andrew Grant's 2001 taxi, he changed his front brakes at 176,000km and his rear brakes at something like 320,000km, just before Toyota took it back.

Data Daedalus, RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah but pad replacement and brake inspection are not the same thing. Toyota advocates brake inspection independent of pad thickness. This is not the "visual inspection" at wheel rotation, rather: dissassemble, clean and relube the pads and shims. Ditto for the caliper pins. And if the car is getting on, and/or there's any pulsation, check disc thickness and runout (micrometer and dial indicator).

Canadian 2014 schedule, for example:

upload_2017-3-29_22-1-6.png

RCO likes this.