1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are you satisfied?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by indi, Apr 6, 2005.

1. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Every time I drive by my local filling station......I smile a little more. :mrgreen:

I purchased a P* on Easter Sunday and love it........no regrets. 100% satisfied. Zero Problems!

I parked my 6000lb Avalanche and don't miss it one bit.

2. Orsino

Orsino New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(indi\";p=\"79169)</div>
    I'm highly satisfied since getting mine at the end of February. Yeah, the first tankful or two gave me "only" high-forties mpg, but that has significantly improved since then (up to 3700 on the odometer now). Yeah, on a recent high-velocity interstate road trip, I saw about 48 mpg, but since I've returned to pure commuting (23 miles each way) and careful driving (58-63 mph), the car reports just over 55 mpg on the current tank. I haven't bothered to check or tweak the tire pressure yet.

The warming weather may be a factor (the typical first-five-minutes mileage is now 35 per gallon, rather than the 20-25 I used to see). We've also just had some nasty, nasty weather around Atlanta lately, but my mileage has still been excellent.

I love this car.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Orsino
    I was at the Vancouver Auto Show on Wed. night and finally got to see and sit in the Accord hybrid. Nice car, I can see why your wife got one. Nothing wrong with that choice. I finally got to see all the current hybrids. The LexusLX400H is a choice piece of machinery. Even the Escape hybrid was ok.

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

You can't compare the Prius to an Echo. With that logic, why don't we get scooters?

5. indi

indi New Member

Thanks a lot for your replies. This forum is fantastic!

I went for a test drive today. It was a blast. The car is so roomy inside that I wonder if it is too much for me We are just a family of two and we aren't going to have kids.

Still a tough decision. However, after the test drive, I have to say...I am satisfied :)

Thanks again!!!

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :D

That's all it takes! one test drive.

Did you try one out with SKS?

7. Prolene

Prolene New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(indi\";p=\"80056)</div>
    A six foot person behind me (my all of 5'7") said the leg room was excellent, and feeling able to stretch out. Four doors and all that room: I'd never even consider an Insight.

8. senna4ever

senna4ever New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(indi\";p=\"80056)</div>
    I assume you testdrove it at Downtown Toyota? They're the only dealer that have any Prius' in stock! One other good thing about the Prius is it's stellar safety rating! We were originally considering a Mazda3, but it appears that it is nowhere near as safe as the Prius. It truly is an amazing piece of kit.
    It is THE perfect city car. Quiet, pretty smooth & roomy. It is quite noisy and the ride is a bit bumpy at highway speeds though...ok, I'm comparing with our Lexus here.....but, with 2~2.5x the fuel efficiency, I'm nt complaining much.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    are you serious? I would've thought Regency and OpenRoad will have a demo too

10. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I beg to differ. If you are looking at costs you can compart the Echo and Prius. Does not matter what the car is it all boils down to money. I caveat that with I chose the Prius due to the other qualities of the Prius that the Echo does not have, regardless of the extra costs (which I felt were worth it).

11. guyweathersby

guyweathersby New Member

Please note that asking this question here is exactly like going to a dog show and asking whether you should get a cat or a dog.

But for the record, I am very happy with mine.

12. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Widdletink\";p=\"79264)</div>

Tisza: Yours is about the most succinct and excellent summary of why I bought this car. Thanks.
    Bob

13. senna4ever

senna4ever New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius\";p=\"80208)</div>
    Nope. As of 2 weeks ago, NONE of the Lower Mainland Toyota dealers had a Prius except for Downtown Toyota. The reason is that they sell more Prius than any other dealer so Toyota gives them a surplus of cars. This info came from a family friend of ours who is a former Toyota of Canada head mechanic. We bought our Prius from him for $200 over wholesale, but testdrove it at Downtown Toyota. :mrgreen:

14. CitizenjaQ

CitizenjaQ New Member

I think the Prius is, quite simply, the bestest car ever.

The combination of fuel economy, low emissions, cargo room and cabin design utility is just tops of any car I've ever driven or been inside. It takes the best features of a compact car, family sedan, station wagon and the bridge of the starship Enterprise and combines them into automotive glee.

Buy one before Toyota realizes how much they could charge for it.

15. BoBraxton

BoBraxton New Member

I would love to forward your analysis to our son who works in Operations Research. Yes, spouse is primary driver on Pkg# 5 Silver purchased 27th March, 2005. She especially likes the gray interior (did not think tan would wear well over dozen year period). Just before we sold our 1992 VW Golf 4-door 5-speed yesterday at 141,365 miles I did a spreadsheet/workbook of cost per mile of just purchase ($12,000) and maintenance and repairs and more than halfway through it leveled off down at 31 cents per mile and continued at that level, neither dropping nor rising. I am wondering whether the Prius can match double that cost (of, say, 60 cents per mile). This analysis excluded gasoline, insurance and personal property tax (in Virginia).

16. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Including insurance, maintenance, gas, and cost of the vehicles I figure I am paying about $21 a day to own two Prius which comes to about $0.372 per mile. I have not had any repairs yet or hit an oil change. It is only updated once a month because that is the only time I fill up on gas and update the Odom reading in the speadsheet.

Sure I can send it to him, maybe he can help improve it. Just something I did real quick to add to my weighted vehicle decision matrix. Prius was at the top of my list and was just curious how long it would take to break even since my friend was also looking for a new car but went the Echo (cheapest highest MPG car we could find) route instead since he was only concerned with the bottom line (no he could not get away with a scooter otherwise he probably would).

17. MGBGT

MGBGT New Member

To answer your question:

I am 100% satisfied. I have an 05 Prius, but only 2.5k mi on it.
    I love it.

"For" Prius:
    even if you won't get EPA mileage values, no car does get them, and the Prius gets better than all but Insight.

$2000 tax deduction (currently)

Amazing quality and owner satisfaction survey results.

Great driveability and practicality. IMHO, the Prius is by far the best combination of great fuel efficiency, low emissions, and practicality.

My previous car was a 2003 MINI Cooper S. Wonderful car and the most fun ever to drive, I still miss the fun. However, it had quality issues, and in the Prius I get almost exactly twice the mileage I got in the MCS.

:mrgreen:

"Against" Prius:
    I can't really think of any arguments against it.
    I should say however that as wonderful as the Prius is, I do not consider it perfect. It's suboptimal tracking and crosswind sensitivity on highways is not great. Still that doesn't eclipse the fact that IMHO it's the best thing out there since sliced bread...

18. senectus

senectus New Member

<husky voice> Oh yes....</husky voice>
    :oops:

19. ratrent

ratrent New Member

I'm 100% satisfied too.

However, I will say that I only get ~40mpg usually, and that in warm weather and with careful driving (after 4k miles, so I'm neither a complete newbie nor a seasoned vet).

My problem is that 90% of my trips are < 5 miles.

Short trips kill mileage on any car (warmup time is very inefficient), but the high mileage of the Prius makes it seem so much worse :).

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(senna4ever\";p=\"80250)</div>
    omg that's hilarious. Well I guess it's true since I did test drive two Prius with them. Funny thing is, OpenRoad Toyota (Rmd) was advertising itself as the BC's No.1 Prius Dealership with the most sales blah blah blah. Can't say if they're right or not since the only one I saw there was a Salsa Red in the showroom.