1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are You Starting a Garden in Response to Rising Food Prices?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bee13, May 29, 2008.

1. bee13

bee13 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    skruse,

It sounds like you've had a "going concern" for many years now. Can you please attach pics so we can see what your garden looks like? Thanks.

2. bee13

bee13 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    xsmatt,

Yes, I would guess that it would be a bit more difficult to grow a garden in southern Nevada. My climate is a little more temperate in northern Utah and we have more of what you might call distinctive seasonal changes here. Still, I bet you could grow some great smaller veggies in pots in a partial sun area around your home. Several people I know and a few here on priuschat state that they have gardens growing in pots. Heck, you need some greens to go with your steak... :)

3. bee13

bee13 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    CarolinaJim,

Thanks for all the details. I am duly impressed with your efforts. You obviously take gardening seriously but still manage to have great fun with it. You have also managed to maximize the available resources at your disposal, yet keep negative impact on your land to a minimum. Cool stuff.

I like the hummingbird feeder idea and capturing natural rainfall and using it for irrigation. I have been devoting some thought to ways I can capture precip and runoff irrigation water for re-use.

I am going to study your web page and get back with you, probably with more questions, especially in regard to SFG.

Thanks,
    DON

4. bee13

bee13 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Way to go, brother.:usa2: I had the same situation as you, serving in the active Army, active Air Force, and finally switching to the Air National Guard so I could settled down in one area. I recently retired with 25+ years of service.

You seem to have put your roots down (a little garden-related pun ) without any trouble at all.

DON

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There are water barrels specifically designed to catch roof rainwater or graywater from the washer but they're pricey. That's why I haven't invested yet. My parents use trash cans but they can split from the pressure.

Square foot gardening is really great. It is easier to maintain the soil, weed, harvest, etc. And plants don't really need to be as far apart as they say.

I'm experimenting right now with mixing them up in the plantings rather than grouping them homogenously. (There's another word to look up.)

6. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I don't have too much room for gardening in my apartment. I tried to raise some tomatoes but the seedlings were wiped out during a heat wave a few weeks ago. So I'm sticking with the full grown basil plant I bought at Trader Joes. If I can keep that alive for a few weeks I'll try some other herbs.

Other than that I plan to mooch off a friend of mine who I call "the Garden Goddess". :cool: She has an amazing container garden going in the yard of the house she and her husband are renting. Tomatoes, pumpkins, squash, peas, sunflowers, cucumbers, eggplant (yuck!), herbs of all sorts, grapefruit, orange and lemon trees and all sorts of edible flowers. I once remarked on how much she'll save once harvest comes and she said the amount of money she's spent so far on equipment and soil/seeds goes well beyond any savings she may have seen this year. But she enjoys gardening as a hobby and homegrown produce usually tastes much better than store-bought. :)

7. bee13

bee13 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Moxie,

Do you have a balcony or similar in your apartment where you can give your plants some direct sunshine? Sorry your tomato plants were torched recently. You must have really had some high temps. Basil is such a nice flavor enhancer for many things. We're growing some of that, too.

I hear what your friend is saying on the initial expense to get a garden started. My wife and I decided that we would invest a significant portion of our tax rebate check on start-up costs for our garden. Like your friend, I don't expect to see a return on investment for several years but the produce we get in the meantime should be worth the wait. Then after a certain point in time we ought to actually make money with the venture by saving money at the grocery checkout...

Share your progress as the season progresses, won't you.

Good luck,
    DON

8. bee13

bee13 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    galaxee,

Ha. Sounds like you have your strawberry situation under control, and that's a really good price for them, too. We have been buying the giant strawberries from Costco for the past couple of years to make homemade strawberry sorbet. I don't eat ice cream any more 'because the dairy in it doesn't like me these days so I switched to real fruit sorbet. The problem is that fruit sorbet is hugely expensive for the little container you get so we started making our own and freezing it in little containers in the deep freezer. The sorbet lasted clear from last fall to now (I still have a couple of weeks-worth left) and we just started making more. We saved tons of money by making our own and had the satisfaction of "knowing" what was in it.

Making the sorbet is simple: Wash the fruit and cut the tops off the strawberries, throwing the remaining fruit into the blender. Fill the blender to the top and add 1/2 to 1 cup of sugar (we use organic evaporated cane juice). Put the lid on the blender and stir up the contents. While blending, add more strawberries to bring the level back up to the top of the blender container. When everything looks well blended, pour into individual storage containers (we use Glad 3 cup reusable containers) and throw into the freezer.

You can mix it up by adding bananas, oranges or other fruit to the blender, if you like.

I hope to one day produce our own strawberries. That'll put a really big smile on my face as I relax in the evening munching a completely home-produced dessert.

P.S. Make sure you put the discarded strawberry tops into you compost bin so you can use them later to enrich your soil!

9. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've expanded my efforts. Unfortunately, our backyard has lots of trees so there's only a small plot for my to garden in. It gets about 4-5 hours of direct sun a day. Does anybody know of anything that grows well in shade? That's what I need.

I've expanded to growing berries. I planted a raspberry bush and will probably also add blackberries. I really should start that now, since I've heard that they don't produce their first year. I've also retasked some pots to grow carrots (sort of a mini-sqft gardening approach I suppose).

What I really want to do is put some fig trees indoors. Has anyone done that? I want to be able to pick figs so they need to be able to produce in a pot and without bugs. Is that possible?

This spring I've tilled in a bunch of compost (been composting for a year now) and some topsoil that I got cheap at the garden store. The soil was knackered. Last year was a dismal year. My squash plants were these pitifully small things that never produced a single fruit. The year before that a lot of the fruit turned brown while still "on the vine". The year before that things were great. So I'm guessing that the soil was depleted. I hoping that I've fixed that problem. Fingers crossed.

10. MT-IL

MT-IL New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My garden is about 40 x 40 ish, been doing it 3 years already, this is year 4. I learn a little each year and try again. I have been canning about 80 quarts of tomatos and filling the freezer with other stuff (Corn and Onions and other things that slice and freeze well).

This years:

Last years:

One of these years when I can spend more time being a crazy person about the garden, I need to get on some forum and figure out what I should be doing to get my soil in better shape. It has too much clay / hardness going on as opposed to the Troy-Bilt commericials where it's this nice dark fluffy soil.

11. bee13

bee13 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    tripp,

Do you live in Denver or at some higher elevation in the adjacent mountains? My father-in-law lived in Arvada and had a huge garden some years ago, so the elevation and soil at his old house was definitely compatible with gardening. I lived in Boulder for a few years and had some friends who lived in the mountains near Eldorado Springs and in Nederland and some of them complained about poor growing conditions, mostly from the soil. I'm guessing it was acidic from all the pine trees, etc. Not sure if this describes your situation at all.

My father in-law grew lots of berry bushes in Arvada and they did quite well. The bushes were mature and produced TONS of berries most years. Yes, I believe berry bushes need a few years to establish themselves before they start producing so plan on that.

I like your mini SFG comparison. Container gardening is a great way to go, especially if you have little space in which to plant and/or poor soil conditons.

I have never entertained the idea of growing fig trees and don't have the foggiest idea on how to go about it. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has experience with them...

You say you started composting last year. Have you managed to create useful compost in that time? I built a three-bin composter last fall and have yet to get anything from it. I started turning it this spring to aerate and can see some decomposition but it doesn't look like the rich, brown, earthy stuff you want. I need to remember that patience is a virtue...

Please share some pics of your progress this season.

Thanks,
    DON

12. bee13

bee13 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    MT-IL,

Wow! Very nice garden and you appear to have had good results. Forty-by-forty is a pretty good size project and you certainly have the space for it. You sound like you want to expand in the future, when you get more time. You ought to open a little produce stand after you've successfully expanded.

We have very clayish soil where I live in Utah. Virtually every community in the Salt Lake valley and surrounding valley areas was at the bottom of ancient Lake Bonneville thousands of years ago and so clay-like sedimentation is prevalent. Gardens can be grown in the the soil but you have to amend it with organic material and other components if you want better than average results. That's why my wife and I decided to build our garden up instead of down. It's much easier to do raised bed gardening because any soil amendment is limited to just what's inside the gardening boxes. A lot of people do raised bed gardening around here - especially the closer you get to the West Desert to the south and east of the Great Salt Lake.

Thanks for sharing your great pictures. Please continue to update us as your garden grows!

Thanks,
    DON

13. CarolinaJim

CarolinaJim New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm feeling rather knackered...is that OK? Whenever I feel this way I want to do a soil test to see what is needed lime, sulfur, NPK etc Anyways...

If things don't work out in the garden I recommend sending some of your soil out for an accurate test. Your county extension agent should be able to help. You might try visiting this link. Soil-Water-Plant Testing Lab

I recommend visiting the garden web to search for answers to the other questions. Here are some helpful links at the garden web.

Yes, there really is a Fig forum.:)

Gardening in Shade - GardenWeb
    Square Foot Gardening - GardenWeb
    Fig Forum - GardenWeb

OBTW - there is a real good article in Mother Earth News for making a self watering container out of two 5 gallon plastic containers and a funnel. Might be good for a fig tree on wheels so it can hide indoors during those Colorado winters.

14. CarolinaJim

CarolinaJim New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Pretty much the same situation here. Very acid soil. Very little NPK. Hardpan. High water table. = raised beds.

15. rep308

rep308 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Nope, but will go hunting again after a five years to put another 100 lbs of free range venison in the freezer for the winter.

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My parents have a lot of fruit trees and my Dad plants a large garden every year.

They use what they need, I get excess I can use, and any left over is put in baskets and placed at the end of the driveway, free for the taking of passing strollers. Some walk their dogs or kids or just walk in the evenings. Depending on the season they can take their fill of lemons, oranges, plums, tomatoes, or whatever is in season. (There are never extra figs or apricots.)

Funny, but no one ever brings my parents anything extra they grow.

17. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Started small the first year, 50' X 50'. Lived in town. Walked about 2 miles to the garden every day to weed it. A couple of years later, I was living in the country. Lots of space but no water. Where I finally ended up (and lived for about 20 years) the well had only enough water for the house. Strictly dry-land gardening, dependent on rainfall. That meant rows 3 feet apart to maximize utilization of the rainfall. But it also required a big garden. And I was greedy: I wanted lots of fresh vegetables. 20 by 20 would not have given me much produce. City folks have little space but unlimited water, suitable for intensive gardening. I had unlimited space but no water at all, so I had to use extensive gardening.

I had a gross of pint canning jars and a canner that held a dozen quart jars or 18 pint jars. One year I canned 144 pints of sweet corn. Damn, that was a lot of work! But it sure was good. I figure if I'd paid myself minimum wage those jars of corn would have been worth about $25 each. Other years I was more balanced. One year I canned soup by putting carrots, onion, bell pepper, and I don't remember what else raw-pack and canning them. The processing cooked it and it was good soup.

Be sure to follow the directions carefully. And note that botulism does not make the lids pop out. If it smells bad don't eat it. You absolutely must keep the pressure above the required level (15 lbs for most veggies) for the stated time. But quality suffers if it goes too high for long, so it requires careful attention to keep it steady just a little above 15 lbs.

Done right you have really good food.

Some times I canned apple pie filling: Core, peel, and slice the apples, cook them just until they begin to soften, but no more, with sweetener if necessary (not needed if they are sweet enough) and some cinnamon. Then put them in the jars and process according to the instructions. Several dozen jars lasted from fall until about xmas, and then they were all gone. I never actually made any pies. I just ate it out of the jar.

I never canned anything from the store. Only from my own garden and my own apple tree.

I miss those days, but with my bad back and shoulders I would not be able to do that now.

18. CarolinaJim

CarolinaJim New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We spent 24 years in the AF. We were able to move back to my hometown where we had purchased our forested land. It is nice to be home...at least for me. My wife is from just outside of San Juan, PR. I'm still trying to Salsa and my wife is still laughing.

19. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Don,
    I'm just north of Arvada in Westminster. The garden has done OK. Like I said earlier, the last couple of years have been pants. Before that it did pretty well. The composting went alright. The compost was frozen for a large part of the winter, but I just tilled in a lot of it. I wouldn't call it soil per see but it did mix in rather nicely with the hand tiller. I have a very small plot so I don't need any power tools. I do everything by hand. I'm glad to hear that your father's berry bushes did well. I'm going to be planting more because I am aware that the first few years are lean (none in the first year, I believe). I'll post back in a month or so with pics, when there's something worth showing. :D

Jim, thanks for the fig links. I'll have a look.

20. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi Don - I do have a little area outside my apartment. It's technically part of the common grounds rather than a patio area. It used to contain a dead tree which I hung my birdfeeders from but the landlords saw fit to cut the tree down. :mad:

I figure I might as well make use of that area now and maybe start a little container garden (or maybe just put up something to hang my now unused feeders from). My Garden-Goddess friend bought me a little cherry tomato plant over the weekend so I'm going to give it a go with that.

On the herb front I'm happy to report my basil plant is still alive and sprouting new leaves!