1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are you using your OBDII (e.g. EngineLink) log data?

Discussion in 'OBDII iPhone App' started by marlinsmobile, Feb 29, 2016.

1. marlinsmobile

marlinsmobile Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just started using EngineLink, and see that it creates a userdata.log file (that you can email to yourself from the app or copy using iTunes file sharing). The log is a csv file in the format [Timestamp], [Metric Name], [Value], [Unit of Measure].

Is anyone else using this data? If so, I'd love to hear what types of analyses you're doing with it!

I might set up some visualizations in Tableau Public (although that 10M record limit might become an issue pretty quickly). I think it would be interesting to see seasonal changes, and how things change as the car ages (particularly traction battery metrics).

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a couple of Scangauge-IIs conected up to mine, which gives me 8 real-time displays: ICE RPM, ICE Water temperature, ICE power out (HP), Traction Battery SoC (%), Traction-Battery current (+/-), Traction-Battery Voltage, Aux-Battery Voltage, Gas-Tank (%) - all these displays are real-time, and so I get a good idea of exactly what is happening to all the systems as I drive. I keep an accurate log of fuel-in, fuel-used, miles-driven, and over the 2 years I've had the car, it is interesting to see how things change with the seasons (both weather, and gas formula). - hope this helps - Wil ;)

3. Hambones

Hambones Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    How did you hook up two Scangauge IIs? the OBD connector only has one connection on it, in the picture i've seen...?

4. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Daisy chained… …each has a connector in the back, and another on the side, in the pic, the two rears are connected with a 6" shortie, and the lower SC is fed on the side… ;)
    Chuggypig53.4.jpg | PriusChat

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a lot more stuff some of us could and would do, if we had logfile recordings. But I believe the great majority of us have legacy engine monitors that just don't have that output capability. So we just haven't thought about just what we might do with those logs.

6. Hambones

Hambones Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Cool! Thanks for the answer and pic! Not that it matters much, but i'm curious if the ports are dynamic or is each one only input, and the other only output...

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My memory of the instruction manual is that they are simply hardwired together as a through connection. Direction does not matter.

8. marlinsmobile

marlinsmobile Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, I've been obsessively logging data for over 100 trips, and here's what I did with it: How is the Marlinsmobile doing?

I have no idea if I'm interpreting these metrics properly - I'm going on information pulled from various threads here.
    (such as Traction Battery Monitor results and information interpreted. | PriusChat and Traction battery fan | Page 3 | PriusChat)

I know that in general I want the inverter and the battery to stay cool, and I want the traction battery block voltages and resistance to be similar across the blocks.

All of the electrical discussions here make me regret not retaining any knowledge from the Circuits class I took in college... I think I got a B+ by the skin of my teeth, but it was about a million years ago :confused: