1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Argghhh! another bad review...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by texassalsa04, Jul 10, 2004.

1. texassalsa04

texassalsa04 New Member

I subscribe to "Money" magazine and when the first issue was delivered with a review of fuel saving cars, it was rediculous...I decided to send a message to the writer...if anyone here wants to put in his/her $0.02, please write to Mr. Lawrence Ulrich at [email protected]

"Dear Mr. Ulrich,

I am a brand new subscriber to "Money" and as I picked up my first issue (August) from my mail box, I noticed the front cover stating "33mpg in an SUV". Since I am a very happy owner of a 2004 Toyota Prius (which I purchased for $21,829/package 4) I was hoping to see what you have to say about my car. Shock ensue as I flip to page 92 to find that you did not even give the 2004 Prius a "nod". I applaud the fact that you had included the Ford Escape Hybrid but your reviews of all the cars were not balanced.

You mentioned that you had driven all your fuel saving test cars "gently to maximize fuel economy." How did you manage to do that and get only 39 mpg in a 2004 Prius? If I may quote from another Prius owner, "I'd have to throw an anchor out of my window to get mileage less than 40 mpg". You wrote that "the Prius' highway mileage was matched by the diesel VW Passat and the diesel Mercedes E-Class...". How can this be if you stated overall miles per gallon for the Prius was 39 and the VW and Mercedes overall were at 32 miles per gallon? If you look at overall numbers from other fine publications such as "Consumer Reports", and "Car & Driver" you will find your miles per gallon numbers fall below their test numbers. I can assure you that as an owner of a Prius, I consistently get between 45 to 47 mpg in mixed driving in the Texas heat with AC running almost 100% of the time. I know that by choosing my Prius over cars like the VW and Mercedes diesels in your article, I have saved money off the sticker price right of the bat and have a much more reliable car that pollute less. I wonder if I should believe the writings in "Money" in the future when it makes comparison of consumer products?

Regards,
    Anthony Han
    Dallas, Texas"

2. autoxic

autoxic Commuter

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was shocked by their opinion of the Prius. I am getting around 50MPG driving at fast (70 MPH+) highway speeds most of the time. I thought the Prius was a great purchase at MSRP.

Sure, you can save money by buying a Focus or a scooter, but the Prius has everything I want, it is fun to drive, and it gets 45-50 MPG for most people. I have no idea how to get 39 MPG in a Prius!

3. texassalsa04

texassalsa04 New Member

It's frustrating when the media compares the Prius to the Corolla. That's like comparing an apple to an orange. If I wanted a compact car, I would have purchased the Corolla.

4. windsurfdog

windsurfdog New Member

Sounds like the typical "paid" press....after all, the magazine is called "Money".....

The Prius is so good and in such demand.....that alone speaks volumes. Hey, look at it this way....the more people want a Ford Escape means the more Priuses available for the "truly enlightened".....

Grain of salt time for the Money rag......